Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you feel guilty if you committed a justifiable homicide?
No, I would feel proud and sleep like a baby. 17 13.39%
No, I wouldn't care. 22 17.32%
Depends who it was and why I had to kill them. 54 42.52%
Yes, I would be deeply disturbed. 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,190 times

Advertisements

I think I might have some anxiety about the whole situation. I realize self defense should be a basic right in the US Constitution but it seems that congress and our government is finding ways to get rid of it. I think I would be shaking and nervous if I had to do it in self defense and just probably have a panic attack afterwards. Scary stuff to think about hypothetically. I hope it never has to happen, but as they say never say never!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Yea. I do disagree. I suppose emotion doesn't translate well but it definitely seems like he is proud to have put someone in the hospital. He may have had a good reason to do so but there is a swagger to his telling of the story. That's my opinion. If you don't dig it that's cool.
This is a discussion form last time I checked, right?

You saw "pride" and "swagger" in his posting, I seen the truth, that is what was asked for. People don't like the truth, no matter how the truth is interpreted. You don't like what he stated, so you interpreted the way you wanted to see it...whether it was his intention or not, without knowing the full story of why or how, you seen a person who stated the truth and made you own decision...without fully knowing...

Sorry, but that is what is wrong with people today...they don't like something, therefore it's bad....period, end of story....

Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
I'd like to sit here and say that if it was a justifiable kill , in self defence of myself or my family that it would not bother me in the least. Since it has never happened and I hope it never does, I can't really honestly answer that. Looking at myself though , in the end I really think it would effect me.. more in the long term though. Taking a human life , even if it was justified and if it was some dirtbag that wouldn't hesitate to take yours or a family members just isn't ingrained into our psyche.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
How can anyone honestly answer this question unless they were actually faced with it? The logical answer is no, I wouldn't feel guilty, but whether you would feel guilty or not has little to do with logic.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
In America we cherish the right to self defense and killing an aggressor if the need arises. Do you think you could sleep soundly at night if you killed a mugger or someone else who was threatening you, or would you feel somewhat guilty/disturbed by it even if you were justified in doing so?
It really depends on what the criminal was doing.
In discussing the idea of shooting someone who burglarizes my house, I realized that while ALL burglars and thieves deserve to be punished regardless of the reason that they are committing the crime, they do not all deserve to die. We love to cast people as good or evil, but would I feel right about shooting a man dead who came into my home to steal some money or a tv or something? The guy may be stealing it to buy drugs or he may be stealing it because he doesn't have a job and has a family to support. AGAIN, EITHER WAY HE DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED. But killed? No.

On the other hand if someone is attacking me to be or especially my wife, kids, family or friends actual physical harm, or murder or rape them, and my defense results in their death, I'm sure I'd never be able to "get over it" but I don't think I'd feel overly guilty about it. Of course this scenario only works if the attack is unwarranted. If I, let's just say, saw a kid walking around a neighborhood that I didn't think he belonged in and I called the police and they told me to leave him alone and I didn't, and I went to him and began harassing him and he fought back, I think it would be gutless for me to kill him since I was the one who put him in that position in the first place, for instance.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
In America we cherish the right to self defense and killing an aggressor if the need arises. Do you think you could sleep soundly at night if you killed a mugger or someone else who was threatening you, or would you feel somewhat guilty/disturbed by it even if you were justified in doing so?
Of course I would be disturbed. While I will use force if I should ever be in that situation, that doesn't mean I'm going to be HAPPY about it, and skipping down the road without a care in the world. I will get to sleep at night because it was either them, or me, but that doesn't mean that I would gloat, or find any delight in killing another human being. Any sane person is going to be bothered by it. Why would you think any different?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Any sane person yes. ^

Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
A serial killer on the loose attacking someone---not much.

An armed mentally retarded 15 year old--a great deal.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
None of the above.
I would be disturbed, but not feel guilty.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,613 times
The choices are skewed. The first two are identical. I'd be proud and I wouldn't care are the same choice.

I would aggressively defend myself and my family using deadly force without hesitation. I would feel badly that I was forced to do so, however I would not feel guilty about protecting our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
None of the above.
I would be disturbed, but not feel guilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Of course I would be disturbed. While I will use force if I should ever be in that situation, that doesn't mean I'm going to be HAPPY about it, and skipping down the road without a care in the world. I will get to sleep at night because it was either them, or me, but that doesn't mean that I would gloat, or find any delight in killing another human being. Any sane person is going to be bothered by it. Why would you think any different?
Seems there are many great minds in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
How can anyone honestly answer this question unless they were actually faced with it? The logical answer is no, I wouldn't feel guilty, but whether you would feel guilty or not has little to do with logic.
After reading the choices I could see the answers are really geared to push us into some kind of a corner. I think this thread was started to insight arguments more than anything else. Seems like most people in here didn't fall for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies