Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times

Advertisements

There is a fix for this. It's called a bath..

Quote:
A New York teacher could be in hot water after sending a note home with her pre-kindergarten students saying some of them were showing up to school so dirty she didn't want to touch them. Parents say the handwritten note was sent home by a teacher at the Buffalo School District's BUILD Academy. The Nov. 14 letter says several of the 3- and 4-year-old children "also give off unpleasant smells."

New York teacher note said kids were 'dirty,' parents say | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
A dirty kid is a sign of neglect (at least it's defined as such in the school law of most states) and any individual in a caregiving capacity is mandated by many state laws to report it to Child and Protective Services.

The teacher herself, if she did not make a CPS report, may be in legal jeopardy for trying to deal with the parent rather than file a report.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Since the schools have took on the responsibility of breakfast and lunch the parents will demand that school bathe their children. Give it a few years and some federal funded program will fix the problem

Last edited by Swingblade; 11-23-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 06:30 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
She shouldn't be in trouble, those parents needed to hear that. At my last school, a middle school with a very high free/reduced lunch rate, we had shower facilities and the school social worker would have kids take showers there, give them clean clothes to wear that had been donated and wash their old dirty clothes. She would call the parents and let them know and explain that it could be a CPS complaint. I have real mixed feelings about it.

It would have been better if she had called the parents of the offending children only or sent a generic letter about the reasons to make sure your child was clean.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She shouldn't be in trouble, those parents needed to hear that. At my last school, a middle school with a very high free/reduced lunch rate, we had shower facilities and the school social worker would have kids take showers there, give them clean clothes to wear that had been donated and wash their old dirty clothes. She would call the parents and let them know and explain that it could be a CPS complaint. I have real mixed feelings about it.

It would have been better if she had called the parents of the offending children only or sent a generic letter about the reasons to make sure your child was clean.
You betcha. I agree completely.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Is there a chance the kids are getting dirty on the way to school ?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Agree that parents need to know and perhaps that phone call would have been better.

I feel sorry for any children whose parents' don't care ENOUGH to send them to school clean. Jesus. What is wrong with people?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I have seen those hoarder shows and I can see why some kids would be sent to school dirty.. those people who hoard are dirtier than an animal.

I know the hoarders have mental issues but I know the kids of hoarders can't get the proper care living in filth. The parents should be investigated to see why these children are not getting the proper care.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There is a fix for this. It's called a bath..

New York teacher note said kids were 'dirty,' parents say | Fox News

??? And this is a problem for the teacher because...why?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Is there a chance the kids are getting dirty on the way to school ?
Any parent knows that a kid could get "dirty" on the way to school. But there is a huge difference between dirty and filthy to the point that you start smelling bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies