Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM

723 posts, read 636,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I haven't heard of anything like that happening lately. At least nothing that isn't war related.
Allow me to point you to the Boston Marathon Bombings. Hopefully this past April qualifies as "lately." If not, that's scary.

Quote:
In fact, outside of war, I have never heard of Americans doing that period.
A bit less recent, but allow me to point you to the Oklahoma City Bombing. Hopefully you'll admit that happened, period.

Quote:
And if such an event did happen, you can bet that myself and 99% of the rest of Americans would be up in arms denouncing such an act.
Fortunately, this part turned out to be true.

Now, on the broader topic at hand, that's great news so many Saudi students are coming to the US. They're very intelligent and hard-working, and truly appreciate the opportunity to study here, in my experience. Interacting with those from elsewhere in the world benefits all students and enriches their educational experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,999,464 times
Quote:
One more Muslim is too many in my opinion. We don't need people coming here that are a threat to Western values.
Gee, that's what existing native Americans said 100-150 years ago, when Italians, Jews, Irish, etc. came here.

But the idea that President Obama did something that doubled the number of Saudis students is silly (and that's being charitable.)

From the WSJ:
Quote:
This past school year, Saudi Arabia sent 66,000 students to U.S. universities, four times the number before the 2001 attacks and the fastest-growing source of foreign students in the U.S., ahead of China, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. The Saudi influx is part of a broader increase in international students in the U.S. as American universities seek to raise tuition revenues. Some 723,277 foreign students enrolled during the 2010-2011 school year, up 32% from a decade ago.

"With the financial crunch…the [U.S.] administrators look to the international students to a degree as saviors," said Michael Launius, vice president of international students at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Wash., where Saudi enrollment has jumped from nothing in 2005 to about 150 this past school year.
Since taking over, the Saudi king has emphasized scientific education and exposure to foreign countries as keys to combat religious extremism and transform Saudi Arabia into a modern state. This year, the scholarship program has about 130,000 young people studying around the world, at an estimated cost of at least $5 billion since the program began.
Notice how the OP tries to make a good thing seem like a bad thing in an effort to blame Obama? Blaming Obama is a new hobby among the hard right.

Last edited by MTAtech; 12-03-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,362,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Allow me to point you to the Boston Marathon Bombings. Hopefully this past April qualifies as "lately." If not, that's scary.

A bit less recent, but allow me to point you to the Oklahoma City Bombing. Hopefully you'll admit that happened, period.

Fortunately, this part turned out to be true.

Now, on the broader topic at hand, that's great news so many Saudi students are coming to the US. They're very intelligent and hard-working, and truly appreciate the opportunity to study here, in my experience. Interacting with those from elsewhere in the world benefits all students and enriches their educational experience.
The Boston marathon bombings were Muslims! Born to immigrant parents. If we didn't allow their kind in then those bombings wouldn't have happened.

And it gets down right sad when you Islamist sympathizers bringing up the Oklahoma City bombings. Firstly, those weren't recent. They occurred almost 20 years ago and were committed by a small group of insane people. Millions of Muslims around the world everyday preach and pray for the destruction of western civilization. They endless streams of YouTube videos showing their frantic chaos is very easy to find.

I just hope they go back after their school is done. Western society has done enough to accommodate them. Wherever Muslims gain a demographic advantage the first thing they do is start to strip the rights away from non Muslims. I don't want that happening in my country! Is doesn't benefit me and if I work with them I'll eat a pork chop in front of their face to show my dislike of them.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,362,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Gee, that's what existing native Americans said 100-150 years ago, when Italians, Jews, Irish, etc. came here.

But the idea that President Obama did something that doubled the number of Saudis students is silly (and that's being charitable.)

From the WSJ:

Notice how the OP tries to make a good thing seem like a bad thing in an effort to blame Obama? Blaming Obama is a new hobby among the hard right.
The native Americans are a conquered people. That type of thing is just what happened back then. If you are so sad about it then you sure wouldn't have fit in back in the 17th through 19th centuries.

I don't give a crap about the natives. They were even more war mongering and savage than the European colonizers. To bad they finally got what was coming to them!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
The native Americans are a conquered people. That type of thing is just what happened back then. If you are so sad about it then you sure wouldn't have fit in back in the 17th through 19th centuries.

I don't give a crap about the natives. They were even more war mongering and savage than the European colonizers. To bad they finally got what was coming to them!
The "native Americans" that I was referring to in the above post was not the 'Indians' but the white Protestants that held their noses high to the swarthy European immigrants that arrived in steerage, such as my grandparents.

Your views are similar to those native Americans.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM

68,387 posts, read 54,651,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is hardly surprising, What do you expect from Potus?
Most of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia yet we invaded/occupied Iraq while GWB skipped thru the Rose garden holding hands with the Saudis.

WHAT SHOULD we expect from the POTUS?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

68,387 posts, read 54,651,766 times
Quote:
One more Muslim is too many in my opinion. We don't need people coming here that are a threat to Western values.
So, one of the 'Western values' you would favor is no freedom of religion?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

723 posts, read 636,000 times
Quote:
The Boston marathon bombings were Muslims! Born to immigrant parents. If we didn't allow their kind in then those bombings wouldn't have happened.
They were Caucasians. As Caucasian as it gets, from Caucasia! They were immigrants themselves. One was a permanent resident and the other was (gasp!) an American citizen.

Quote:
And it gets down right sad when you Islamist sympathizers bringing up the Oklahoma City bombings. Firstly, those weren't recent.
I'm not an Islamist sympathizer; I simply believe in the First Amendment. Read your own post: you said it had never happened.

Quote:
I just hope they go back after their school is done. Western society has done enough to accommodate them. Wherever Muslims gain a demographic advantage the first thing they do is start to strip the rights away from non Muslims. I don't want that happening in my country! Is doesn't benefit me and if I work with them I'll eat a pork chop in front of their face to show my dislike of them.
First, I hope they stay. Immigrants enrich our culture enormously! Second, there no mechanism in the US for Muslims to strip rights from non-Muslims. There is no mechanism to base rights on religion in the US at all, unless people with views like this get their way. Persecuting Muslims based on their religion would be the only thing to create such a precedent.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains
What's clearly on display is your own xenophobia and intolerance. Let's call it what it is. You don't like people who are different than you. This has nothing to do with national safety.

I don't know what else to call someone who dislikes someone else merely because of their religion. You are a bigot -- your above quote admits it.

Last edited by MTAtech; 12-03-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:16 AM

167 posts, read 164,786 times
What's so wrong with allowing foreign students to enroll in our colleges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies