Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Didn't take long for the "job creator" butt kissing to start. Not even halfway down the first page
Better to be a "job creator" than a "job wanter".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 11:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
As a manager in retail I think you should first ask for volunteers and obviously work yourself. That would be the right thing to do. When I worked retail I always volunteered to work on holidays.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Can't we just say it: Business owns you. And in America, that's how it should be. Bow to your boss.

Because, we're like the greatest country in the world and stuff.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Didn't take long for the "job creator" butt kissing to start. Not even halfway down the first page
No kiddin'. As if job creating means more for our economy than job doing. I'm pretty sure they need employees for any of it to matter, to sustain their way of life and their business so the jobs they create are more than intangible ideas in the mind costing investment dollars but serving no purpose, and I'm quite convinced they personally benefit far more than their employees.

Yet, it's always the worker who should be grateful for the employer, never the other way around.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Funny most of these right wingers try to come off like they are Barons of Capitalism...LOL
I know...it's laughable. They're all a bunch of wage earners like everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Better to be a "job creator" than a "job wanter".
How would you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It's called paying the bills.

Thanksgiving is the 3rd busiest day (outside of NYE and Christmas Eve) for MY business. Damn straight we're open.

We don't demand any employee show up. They're college kids and they volunteer because they don't want to sit home and deal with the old folks or their obnoxious younger cousins. NEVER had an issue finding willing and available employees. They do get paid time & 1/2, there's a little incentive. Plus, if they had an early turkey meal, they've got lots of clientele bringing food all day long for them to snack on. And lots of ethnic foods that you can't beat.

And given the fact that we don't celebrate on "the day", because we're too busy, we celebrate the Sunday after, takes a load of stress off.

Every day is Thanksgiving. It's not about the scheduled day, it's about the celebration, and that can be any day of any week in any month if you want to call it "Thanksgiving".

What really makes me laugh is that way too many of the "close it down on turkey day" folks are the same who hate the fact that white EU's stole the US from the natives, and tend to err on the side of "there is no "American" culture. Unless it's paid holiday off from work and for them, I guess.

Why celebrate what you hate, and try to make others celebrate along with you and in the way YOU choose to?
Everybody is a business owner on this thread. How convenient.

Everyday ISN'T Thanksgiving. Sorry. There is only one day in America regarded as Thanksgiving, and all Americans should be home with their families to enjoy it.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everybody is a business owner on this thread. How convenient.

Everyday ISN'T Thanksgiving. Sorry. There is only one day in America regarded as Thanksgiving, and all Americans should be home with their families to enjoy it.
The particularly decent companies allow their employees to choose if they'd like the extra dollars that come with working on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then hire temps for any gaps they need filled. When I was single with no kid, I worked for Big Lots over the holidays specifically because the one in our area gave the employees that wanted it time off on Christmas Eve, and they were closed on Christmas Day. A truly pro-American business (at least in my town), they took the admitted loss (because I had to be trained a couple weeks beforehand) for the sake of company morale. But they also have very low employee turnover compared to most retail stores in our town. Maybe this kinda stuff has something to do with that? Truth be told, it's not exceptionally awesome in any other way.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Ok..let's reset.

I said that in the E.U. nations, most everything is closed on weekends and holidays with the exception of certain restaurants, etc...
And I provided an actual link showing that the laws were vast and different everywhere. There is no reason to accept your unsubstantiated vast generalizations. Vast claims on the internet are not to be taken seriously.

Pizza Hut open on Sundays in France.

http://www.shopping-time.com.au/NSW/...-Rd,30377.html

Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And I provided an actual link showing that the laws were vast and different everywhere. There is no reason to accept your unsubstantiated vast generalizations. Vast claims on the internet are not to be taken seriously.

Pizza Hut open on Sundays in France.

Pizza Hut Frenchs Forest in Frenchs Forest | Shopping-time.com.au
Is Pizza Hut open in Paris on the most sacred French Holidays?

Look, you're not gonna change a thing I said..the E.U. is essentially a dead continent on Sundays. That's all there is to it. We've already established that the laws there allow for very restricted business hours on Sundays in many countries.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The particularly decent companies allow their employees to choose if they'd like the extra dollars that come with working on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then hire temps for any gaps they need filled. When I was single with no kid, I worked for Big Lots over the holidays specifically because the one in our area gave the employees that wanted it time off on Christmas Eve, and they were closed on Christmas Day. A truly pro-American business (at least in my town), they took the admitted loss (because I had to be trained a couple weeks beforehand) for the sake of company morale. But they also have very low employee turnover compared to most retail stores in our town. Maybe this kinda stuff has something to do with that? Truth be told, it's not exceptionally awesome in any other way.
So Big Lots is a pretty flexible company, huh? Didn't know that.

Maybe I should start frequenting out store more often.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Is Pizza Hut open in Paris on the most sacred French Holidays?
I have no idea.....we were talking about Sundays.

Quote:
Look, you're not gonna change a thing I said..the E.U. is essentially a dead continent on Sundays. That's all there is to it. We've already established that the laws there allow for very restricted business hours on Sundays in many countries.
No, I'm obviously not going to change you from repeating disproven claims. There is nothing I can do about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies