Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 PM

525 posts, read 508,406 times

Advertisements

Despite incessant conjecture from the hard right about how programs designed to help the less fortunate eat and stay out of abject poverty are bankrupting the economy, the SNAP program's balance sheets are beginning to balance themselves because the economy is heading in the right direction. Primarily because of economic recovery, the food stamp beneifts are predicted to return to levels seen in 1995. Balancing the budget on the backs of the impoverished is never the right thing to do, and I for one and happy to see the SNAP enrollment lowering because of economic growth instead of blind cuts.

Quote:
As Congress debates renewing the farm bill, Republicans have been pressing for big cuts to the food stamp budget as part of the negotiations. House GOP leaders want to slash as much as $40 billion from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) over the next decade, a cut that would affect nearly four million low-income people.
Quote:
But a new study from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities shows that in fact, enrollment in the food program, which hit a record during the recession, has already started to plateau and is projected to decline about five percent next year even if Congress does absolutely nothing.
Quote:
Now, the Congressional Budget Office projects that, barring any major fiscal disasters, the food stamp budget is on track to return to 1995 levels in about five years, falling about two to five percent a year as the economy recovers. All this even if Congress doesn't do anything to "reform" a program that kept nearly five million people (2.2 million of them children) out of poverty last year and is responsible for broad economic and public health gains.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013...asing-gop-cuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:18 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
hmmm....

communist mother jones...and hefty lefty thinktank Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

and what do they show

costs """"has already started to plateau """"

more lies from the left

Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
What a huge load of BS! Less people working and more receiving and it is balancing out? Oh my........

Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Key word here is "project".

And I do like the "started to plateau" statement.
Either we have or we haven't buddy.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Now I understand "The High Plains" location. LOL

2007 GDP 14.4 Trillion
2007 SNAP 30.3 Billion

2012 GDP 16.2 Trillion
2012 SNAP 74.6 Billion

Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 PM

The number of enrollee's is lowering and the number of benefits paid out is lower with CBO projections indicating they will be lower each year. I'm sorry if you don't like the numbers, but they are what they are. I'm not a big fan of MoJo either, but shooting the source simply because you don't like it doesn't consistute a valid argument.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Now I understand "The High Plains" location. LOL

2007 GDP 14.4 Trillion
2007 SNAP 30.3 Billion

2012 GDP 16.2 Trillion
2012 SNAP 74.6 Billion

Thats an awfully convenient gap you've laid out there.

What you've either intentionally or unintentionally left out is the fact that 3 Trillion dollars left our economy in about two weeks because of a market of CDO's and CDS's that the Right has neglected to regulate despite multiple attempts. So basically what it boils down to is that those at the very top played Russian Roulette with the US economy......they lost.....the people at the bottom were punished while those at the top were subsidized......and those at the bottom are demonized as lazy or worthless because they are trying to NOT STARVE.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
The number of enrollee's is lowering and the number of benefits paid out is lower with CBO projections indicating they will be lower each year. I'm sorry if you don't like the numbers, but they are what they are. I'm not a big fan of MoJo either, but shooting the source simply because you don't like it doesn't consistute a valid argument.
When has the CBO ever been right with their projections ?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When has the CBO ever been right with their projections ?
oooo,ooooooo Mr. Carter, Mr. Carter, I know!

NEVER!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Thats an awfully convenient gap you've laid out there.

What you've either intentionally or unintentionally left out is the fact that 3 Trillion dollars left our economy in about two weeks because of a market of CDO's and CDS's that the right has neglected to regulate despite multiple attempts.

Last full year before recession, last full current year. I know you dont like the facts but your original post was full of road apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies