Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

these guys realize that their chances of getting caught are slim to none, with minimal consequences even if they do. some interesting reader comments at the end..

Quote:
Long before I actually saw any of the 12 O’Clock Boys, a notorious group of dirt bike riders in Baltimore, I heard them. The rev of their motors, even at a distance, was a regular addition to the constant soundscape of helicopters and sirens. (Their name is in reference to the vertical position the riders attempt while pulling off wheelies.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/op...lock-boys.html

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Couldn't access the article directly, but I don't see why it would be difficult to wrangle these guys up, impound their bikes, and cite them? Dirt bikes aren't ghosts....especially in groups......they can be seen and heard quite easily. Where are the police?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Couldn't access the article directly, but I don't see why it would be difficult to wrangle these guys up, impound their bikes, and cite them? Dirt bikes aren't ghosts....especially in groups......they can be seen and heard quite easily. Where are the police?
try this one, it's the same video i think...

12 O'Clock Boys: the documentary for those suffering The Wire withdrawal | Film | theguardian.com

dirt bikes/atv's are seen and heard easily, but not so easy to catch. they're probably considered pretty low priority in a place like baltimore.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Oh yippee another White yuppy glamorizing the lawlessness among inner city Blacks. I bet he gets an Oscar.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Seems like riding dirt bikes is a less dangerous activity for these boys than participating in the drugs and violence in their neighborhoods. Good for them for finding a fun, productive hobby.

I heard a similar story about teaching inner city youths to ride horses in city parks.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
First, I share their love of dirt bikes. I got my first bike at age 7. I still own a KTM 250 at this very moment. Sadly, I haven't rode it in ages.

But, lawlessness aside, the idea that riding a dirt bike keeps these kids from engaging in drug/thug/poverty culture is perplexing to me. How does one of poverty obtain and maintain a dirt bike? I've had a dirt bike or some type of motorcycle pretty much since I was a kid. They are not free, nor is the maintenance. Where the heck are these children of "poverty" getting the funds to own a recreational vehicle???

Edit: I see these are actually not "kids." But I still want to know where the money comes from. It's difficult to ride a dirt bike at 2pm on a Tuesday if you have a job.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Seems that they might be a nuisance on occasion but running amok? The guy had to ask around just to find them. Seems to me to be an ad for a movie masquerading as a news article.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Seems like riding dirt bikes is a less dangerous activity for these boys than participating in the drugs and violence in their neighborhoods. Good for them for finding a fun, productive hobby.

I heard a similar story about teaching inner city youths to ride horses in city parks.
fun and productive?

i'm sure it's fun, but productive? really?

i guess it doesn't matter that it's totally illegal:

Quote:
But we couldn't do anything about it because police aren't allowed to chase. If they crash, they die. And then the police and the city are in big trouble. And if you did catch a bike, the rider would run. If you took the bike, the owner would just come back and reclaim it.
Cop in the Hood: Dirt bikes in Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How does one of poverty obtain and maintain a dirt bike?
yeah, i was wondering about that too.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Come over to the eastern side of Ft Washington and watch the kids on 4 wheelers run the streets. I don't know if they are in Tantallon yet but it wouldn't surprise me. Back when I was a kid the cops took your dirt bike and called your parents from the police station to come get you. Those deterrents no longer exist so kids do as they please. When you ignore some deterrents you are apt to ignore them all - I am talking about cops, DAs and judges at this point. When all deterrents are ignored what's the consequences of being caught?

Meanwhile, the state has plenty of funding to fly around in a helicopter looking for small stands of someone's homegrown weed with infrared/ultraviolet sensors so they can alert an army of ground based stormtroopers to arrest, handcuff and confiscate a dozen plants every few hours; maybe twice in one day.

How about those kids riding dirt bikes illegally around the streets of Baltimore? They aren't dangerous enough but those plants they spent weeks to round up sure were man killers.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
There was a recent article in the NYT about a similar group in the Bronx. They ride the centerline, up on sidewalks, etc. Cops undoubtedly regard it as a hassle to go after them, have to confiscate and store the bikes, and invariably be accused of racism. So they let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies