Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

‘World’s first 3-D printable handgun’ under fire

Why buy and deal with BGCs when you can simply make one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
I'd still rather stick with one made from metal. But an 80% AR-15 lower or a AK-47 flat are still legal to be shipped right to your door without a background check nor any type of serial number.

All homemade guns are legal if you meet the following criteria
1. They are not being made for sale or gift. Only the maker of the gun can own it.
2. You can't build anything that is illegal or regulated. No short barreled rifles or full auto.
3. You must be able to pass the background check. You don't have to take one but you must be able to pass one.

Based on that, it's much cheaper and easier to buy a gun than build it. An AR-15 lower costs $100. One that is partially finished costs $180 and you have to buy machine parts (drill bits and mills) as well as anodizing equipment to properly finish it. You usually end up with about $400 invested in that one part.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'd still rather stick with one made from metal. But an 80% AR-15 lower or a AK-47 flat are still legal to be shipped right to your door without a background check nor any type of serial number.

All homemade guns are legal if you meet the following criteria
1. They are not being made for sale or gift. Only the maker of the gun can own it.
2. You can't build anything that is illegal or regulated. No short barreled rifles or full auto.
3. You must be able to pass the background check. You don't have to take one but you must be able to pass one.

Based on that, it's much cheaper and easier to buy a gun than build it. An AR-15 lower costs $100. One that is partially finished costs $180 and you have to buy machine parts (drill bits and mills) as well as anodizing equipment to properly finish it. You usually end up with about $400 invested in that one part.
I would think that this would bring the costs related to most gun parts WAY down. I'd like a 200 dollar AR

Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I would love to see an actual 3D printer working and the end result. Not necessarily a handgun but just the printer itself.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Why print a gun when you can cave out the parts you need on a CNC or even manual mill and lathe?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Plastic 3d printing.........or metal with a sintered 3d printer:

3D printing with metal: The final frontier of additive manufacturing | ExtremeTech

CNC is the way I would go, been around a long time. Plus the cost of CNC's for home use can be quite affordable.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

this. Its quite expensive right now to 3d print anything, if you dont have the materials or printer to begin with. Even a moderate one will set you back a couple of grand.

then you need a high quality 3d model, with thick enough wallsw that can handle the pressure of firing a bullet.

and its still a plastic gun. one part of it modeled wrong, and if you go to fire it, you can blow off your hand.

The risk invovled is not worth trying to do this until the technology is better

meh, by the time this happens,s we'll have phasers.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
It is interesting to me that the about the only thing being talked about or hyped in regard to 3D printing, really isn't the best use of such tech.

The only bigger paradigm shift would be decentralized energy. Regulation is a major tool in the central control tool box. Imagine how radical decentralized production would be.

Do people really think 3D printing is best used for gun making?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
I think a 3-D printed gun would be so cost-prohibitive it would be ridiculous to even do it. I'm wondering why 3-D printed guns are the main item being discussed in relation to this technology when there are so many more useful applications for this technology. How about prosthetics or artificial heart valves? Maybe cheaper replacement parts for household appliances or cars? What is the purpose of focusing on printed guns?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I think a 3-D printed gun would be so cost-prohibitive it would be ridiculous to even do it. I'm wondering why 3-D printed guns are the main item being discussed in relation to this technology when there are so many more useful applications for this technology. How about prosthetics or artificial heart valves? Maybe cheaper replacement parts for household appliances or cars? What is the purpose of focusing on printed guns?
I just said the same thing. I can see a reason why the focus is on gun production.
Just look at the particular market relationship of the other uses being discussed and it becomes obvious why that is being hyped.

Originally Posted by CDusr
Well the construction usage I find most intriguing, however, 3D printing of body parts will be far more controversial. Think I read where they have kept parts for 4 or 5 months successfully. Imagine this with nano tech.
3D Printers Now Print Human Body Parts | TechHive
quote:
An elderly woman is the first person in the world to be fitted with a 3D-printed body part--a new lower jaw.

According to the BBC, the 83-year-old patient had long suffered from a badly infected lower jaw that was considered too risky to operate on by way of traditional methods. Due to the associated risks, doctors turned to 3D-printing as a viable alternative.

Printable Blood Vessels Are Here; 3D Printing Gets Creepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Construction use is very interesting.
Contour Crafting: 3D House Printer: Science Fiction in the News

Contour Crafting Plans to 3D Print a House in 24 Hours ...
quote:

Contour Crafting works by setting down quick-dry cement in layers, building up the skeleton of the building. Load bearing walls are double reinforced with two rows of triangle-shaped concrete interior buttresses, while other walls use a single row. The mainly hollow walls allow for additional construction materials, such as plumbing, wiring and insulation, to be added during construction. Khoshnevis claims he could construct the entire shell of a house in 24 hours.

Contour Crafting: Automated Construction: Behrokh Khoshnevis at TEDxOjai - YouTube

Last edited by CDusr; 12-16-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies