Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times

Advertisements

The president should receive NO pay, no pension, and no SS protection once they have been out of office for four years.

They waste millions in taxpayer dollars (especially this prez), and don't deserve a paycheck.

Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
I would say yes, but only if he were forced to run the US like a corporation by maximizing profits and firing all worthless employees. If he isn't effective, he could be replaced at any time.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Up until the 90s, the pay of military generals was capped at $60,000 annually. That was the pay of a 2-star...the 3-and 4-star generals did not get any more money. Nor were there a lot of perks available. But the 4-stars certainly had wide-ranging responsibilities.

Government pay should not, on the whole, be commensurate with private enterprise pay. It should be sufficient to allow an honest man to stay honest.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Up until the 90s, the pay of military generals was capped at $60,000 annually. That was the pay of a 2-star...the 3-and 4-star generals did not get any more money. Nor were there a lot of perks available. But the 4-stars certainly had wide-ranging responsibilities.

Government pay should not, on the whole, be commensurate with private enterprise pay. It should be sufficient to allow an honest man to stay honest.

But it should be high enough so that you actually attract the best and brightest to go into government.

These days its: "The already made it and want to make more by expanding my contacts and influence,
and the "never would make it anywhere else" that seem to have interest in government.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
If you think I'm a lib then you haven't read any of my posts before. Nice try though. Also, if you think the "Market" determines CEO pay than that is more naive than thinking I'm a lib. Nice try though.
if you think the government has a role to play in deciding what CEOs make, then you are a liberal or a statist and as far as I am concerned there is no difference.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
if you think the government has a role to play in deciding what CEOs make, then you are a liberal or a statist and as far as I am concerned there is no difference.
I actually stated no such thing. I was asking why the president should be paid so little when they have more responsibility than any CEO on the planet.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Absolutely not. The President should not be looked upon as a CEO. It is a job that should be looked at as a service to our country and not a means to wealth.
That is a laughable argument and intellectually dishonest. Should the military, police officers, and air traffic controllers also work for free?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Sure, we can pay the president 100 Million dollars and all of it comes from the people that push it, the liberals... stay happy liberals!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I would like to understand why people continue to conflate discussions of government with private business. Is it a fundamental misunderstanding or just refusal to acknowledge the difference?
On the macro scale there is obviously a difference, but on the micro scale, the employee level, how can you claim such a thing? You hire people to do a job and to do it well. Just because someone works for the public sector they should be screwed over. Despite the claims the loon right, working for the government is not a public service. They are employees just like anyone at a private corporation. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about government employees slacking off or being lazy, then claim they deserve little or no pay because they work for the government.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But it should be high enough so that you actually attract the best and brightest to go into government.

These days its: "The already made it and want to make more by expanding my contacts and influence,
and the "never would make it anywhere else" that seem to have interest in government.

I don't know that we could ever attract the best and brightest to go into government. By all accounts, it seems like we have never had the best and brightest in my lifetime (starting with LBJ).

To me, the best and the brightest don't want to be burdened with the bureaucracy that is inevitable in government. You're accurate in your assessment of today's government morons -- now, it seems like all of government has turned into a very poorly scripted reality show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies