Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:32 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
No taxes must be increased, and spending on required expenditures like the protection of our country cannot be cut.
Yeah, right. Might as well get rid of the military, because with those rules you can wage no wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
why? and why do you get to decide that?

I agree that the president should not make more than what he makes now... but you say no one. Why do you get to decide that?
Nice try. I didn't say I get to decide that. I said that I don't think that anyone should make that.

Let me ask you this: based on your reasoning, why does anyone on this board get to decide that $15 an hour is too much for a fast food worker? I see it about 4,000 times a day. So why do they get to decide that? You see, they don't. They just get to put their opinion into writing.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
Quote:
Here's an idea, when elected to office you turn over all money/savings/houses, and the government provides you and your family a place to live, food to eat, clothes and necessities, and transportation. Upon completion of your elected service, if the government has run a deficit, you lose your monies, if the government runs surplus, you get a percentage. No taxes must be increased, and spending on required expenditures like the protection of our country cannot be cut.
Hahahaha…let's see any one of the goofs in Congress agree to this one. Of course, it would mean that more real people would end up in Congress instead of the endless line of fat cats, and maybe that would be a benefit.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:27 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah, right. Might as well get rid of the military, because with those rules you can wage no wars.
Yeah right, have you seen how much our country actually takes in, in taxes and fees?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No, I mean the 99.99% of CEOs who are accurately measured by performance.

Using the .01% that gets awful deals as your rule of thumb is pretty stupid, isn't it?
.01% Try closer to 10-20%. Maybe if you include all CEOs, but I'm talking about the ones in charge of the fortune 500. A CEO of a local bakery is not making $10 million a year. It is when you get in to the larger public companies that the ridiculous packages, rubber stamped by the CEO's golfing buddies, get to be outrageous.

I just want to thank all of the neo-con wannabees for confirming my suspicions. CEOs are gods deserving of absolutely every penny they swindle from their share holders. President? He is a leach who should be paid a penny. I'm just curious if the replies would have been different if it was back in the GW days, right after he landed on the carrier and gave his infamous "Mission Accomplished" speech. I have a feeling it would.

BTW, I think Obama has surpassed Carter on the presidential incompetence scale. So my feeling for him had zero bearing on my position.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah right, have you seen how much our country actually takes in, in taxes and fees?
Yes, I have. But no country can fight a war on its peacetime military budget. War is always a contingency, and you don't staff day-to-day for contingencies.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Our political leaders raise their own salaries on the basis that they can make more in the private sector.It is called quality retention in business screwing the taxpayers in government.Congress is self serving and under serving the people they make laws to enrich themselves.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
BTW, I think Obama has surpassed Carter on the presidential incompetence scale. So my feeling for him had zero bearing on my position.
Carter gets an unnecessarily bad rap. He did tend to micromanage--he had this penchant for insisting that documents delivered for his signature actually have all the math correct, all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. He caught and called out sloppy staffwork.

But it's also true for that reason that the permanent Executive bureaucracy hated him and didn't do their best for him. I met people in DC even in the late 80s who still bragged about how they screwed him over in their various positions in the permanent Executive bureaucracy. One simple ploy, for instance, is to "innocently" do exactly what the boss says. Exactly what he says, not what you know he wants.

I suspect, looking at things like the ACA website debacle that the same thing is happening with Obama.

OTOH, they loved Reagan, covered his okole constantly, and made Reagan look better than he really was.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
How about it Koch brother loving CEO worshipers? There are certainly a lot of you on this site so lets hear it. If an incompetent idiot like Ron Johnson can nearly drive JC Penny in to the ground and still walk away with $20 million a year, why should the CEO of the larger entity on the planet, the United States Government, make a mere $400k a year? If CEOs are so deserving of millions for running a relatively small(relatively speaking) corporation, how is the person in charge of a most powerful nation on earth not worth even more? I be waiting to hear the excuses as to why the CEO of a billion dollar corporation is worth 20x more than the CEO of a four trillion dollar nation.

No.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Aren't you paid for your experience when you take a job? That would mean Obama's first 4 years were on the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies