Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times

Advertisements

By W. Bradford Wilcox, December 16, 2013 12:06 PM
Quote:
Another shooting, another son of divorce.

From Adam Lanza, who killed 26 children and adults a year ago at Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Conn., to Karl Pierson, who shot a teenage girl and killed himself this past Friday at Arapahoe High in Centennial, Colo., one common and largely unremarked thread tying together most of the school shooters that have struck the nation in the last year is that they came from homes marked by divorce or an absent father. From shootings at MIT (i.e., the Tsarnaev brothers) to the University of Central Florida to the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur, Ga., nearly every shooting over the last year in Wikipedia’s “list of U.S. school attacks” involved a young man whose parents divorced or never married in the first place.
Is the Women's Lib movement reaping terrible rewards? Have we raised generations of people who simply cannot deal with the responsibilities of traditional marriage? Are men no longer capable of being strong father figures? Or have girls been taught that they don't need a man to help raise their children?

I personally note that, while the media focuses on video games and their harmful affects on the shooters, they ignore this simple fact of them not having a positive father figure in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
You're kidding, right? I'm very pro-marriage, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Lots of kids come from broken homes without ever committing a violent act.

Let's also consider that raising a deeply troubled child can create tremendous stress in a marriage that leads to separation and divorce.

But nice try throwing women under the bus.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
So two kids were children of divorce...so divorce causes school shootings?

Except Eric Harris/Dylan Klebold had parents who were married, Andrew Douglas Golden had a great family life, Eric Houston had married parents, Seung-Hui Cho had un-divorced parents, Charles Carl Roberts had married parents...

So 2 had divorced parents and your conclusion is divorce causes school shootings...and I can do a 2 minute search and come up with 6 that didn't. Not only is the author proven easily wrong, their silly accusations about how women having equal rights as men causes violence is down right absurd.

I am not really sorry that women having equal rights traumatizes some people so much.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:04 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
By W. Bradford Wilcox, December 16, 2013 12:06 PM

Is the Women's Lib movement reaping terrible rewards? Have we raised generations of people who simply cannot deal with the responsibilities of traditional marriage? Are men no longer capable of being strong father figures? Or have girls been taught that they don't need a man to help raise their children?

I personally note that, while the media focuses on video games and their harmful affects on the shooters, they ignore this simple fact of them not having a positive father figure in their lives.
This is how the right has no concept of critical thinking. First off While E, Lanza was severely autistic to the point he could only communicate with his mother in the same house by email. She was the dumb ass who gave him access to guns. It has not one damn thing to do with being married or unmarried or two women or men or man and woman living together or if the price of eggs in China went up or down. Don't know the story behind the new shooter in CO. We will find out, but to blame how people live together is just dumb. There are many people who have raised a child alone both men and women and do just fine. So by your measure if a man or woman gets into an accident and dies the spouse should run out and get married to the first drunk Christian they can find to save the child. LMFAO Your reasoning is outstanding and I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So two kids were children of divorce...so divorce causes school shootings?

Except Eric Harris/Dylan Klebold had parents who were married, Andrew Douglas Golden had a great family life, Eric Houston had married parents, Seung-Hui Cho had un-divorced parents, Charles Carl Roberts had married parents...

So 2 had divorced parents and your conclusion is divorce causes school shootings...and I can do a 2 minute search and come up with 6 that didn't. Not only is the author proven easily wrong, their silly accusations about how women having equal rights as men causes violence is down right absurd.

I am not really sorry that women having equal rights traumatizes some people so much.
His reasoning is like saying Hitler and Stalin had mustaches so people with mustaches are mass murders.
LMAO, Neo cons are just as nuts as the crazy leftists who think making fireant aluminum art is murder. Wow, both fringes are just butt crazy.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
WTH does the Women's Liberation Movement have to do with this? Are you saying that only liberated women get divorced or that women should stay in bad or abusive marriages? We all know that bad marriages are the ideal environment for rasing well adjusted kids...don't we? Jeez! If the father dies, should the mother get married for the sole purpose of having a man in the house? How archaic and obtuse this premise is.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
WTH does the Women's Liberation Movement have to do with this? Are you saying that only liberated women get divorced or that women should stay in bad or abusive marriages? We all know that bad marriages are the ideal environment for rasing well adjusted kids...don't we? Jeez! If the father dies, should the mother get married for the sole purpose of having a man in the house? How archaic and obtuse this premise is.
Of course women should stay in bad marriages! Tension, yelling, stress, violence, cheating, threats, accusations, and the silent treatment is a very productive environment in which to raise happy, well-adjusted children.
You didn't know that?
What can possibly go wrong?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
This is how the right has no concept of critical thinking. First off While E, Lanza was severely autistic to the point he could only communicate with his mother in the same house by email. She was the dumb ass who gave him access to guns. It has not one damn thing to do with being married or unmarried or two women or men or man and woman living together or if the price of eggs in China went up or down. Don't know the story behind the new shooter in CO. We will find out, but to blame how people live together is just dumb. There are many people who have raised a child alone both men and women and do just fine. So by your measure if a man or woman gets into an accident and dies the spouse should run out and get married to the first drunk Christian they can find to save the child. LMFAO Your reasoning is outstanding and I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness.
Your taking this absurd post and using it to paint the entire "right" with it? I could post just as many absurd comments from liberals and suggest all liberals feel a certain way. Just absurd and you are better than that. This thread is total nonsense. These are insane people doing insane things.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
You know, I think I get it. I happen to live just a couple of miles from the site of the latest school shooting, and it has thrown everyone for a loop. We're confused and scared, grasping at straws trying to regain our sense of control over our futures.

One of the ways we do that is by simplifying complex situations -- for example, kids commit violent acts because they have absent parents -- so we can differentiate ourselves and continue believing that it won't happen to us. In our psyches, it plays out like this: "My children are growing up in an intact home, so they would never shoot up a school."

But that's not the way life works. Even kids from loving homes can have big problems that have no clear explanation and, sadly, cannot be prevented.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

They ignore the simple fact they ate potatoes too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies