Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times

Advertisements

Oh no kids might have to work? What is this crap? They might catch a case of self-discipline and work ethic. The horrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You folks are unreal. When I was a kid we went to catholic school up till I was in sixth grade........not cheap. Now my parents couldn't afford it anymore so we switched over to public school but my older sister wanted to stay with her friends. They all worked a deal out with the school in the summer she did admin stuff at the high school and helped out and basically did what they wanted and during the year too if need be to help pay the tuition costs. Nowdays that is considered reprehensible and child labor?? Gimme a fuggin break. What is wrong with you folks. Sweeping a gdam floor is child labor? You folks are insane.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
...Oh holy crap.

Rep. Jack Kingston Proposes That Poor Students Sweep Floors In Exchange For Lunch

"But one of the things I’ve talked to the secretary of agriculture about: Why don’t you have the kids pay a dime, pay a nickel to instill in them that there is, in fact, no such thing as a free lunch? Or maybe sweep the floor of the cafeteria -- and yes, I understand that that would be an administrative problem, and I understand that it would probably lose you money. But think what we would gain as a society in getting people -- getting the myth out of their head that there is such a thing as a free lunch," he said.

and I included a link to WND for the right wing.

Congressman: Poor kids should sweep floors for ‘free’ lunch

I can feel the GOP cringe from here.
That's how it worked when I was in school.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Oh no kids might have to work? What is this crap? They might catch a case of self-discipline and work ethic. The horrors.
I'll take it that the pro-child labor position is mainly a "Georgia thing."

Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times
And just this afternoon I mentioned to a friend that our Congressional Representatives don't live in the real world...

Making children sweep or mop floors in front of their friends would be the height of humiliation. I'm glad I don't live in GA and I feel sorry for anyone who is represented by this clown.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
You folks are unreal. When I was a kid we went to catholic school up till I was in sixth grade........not cheap. Now my parents couldn't afford it anymore so we switched over to public school but my older sister wanted to stay with her friends. They all worked a deal out with the school in the summer she did admin stuff at the high school and helped out and basically did what they wanted and during the year too if need be to help pay the tuition costs. Nowdays that is considered reprehensible and child labor?? Gimme a fuggin break. What is wrong with you folks. Sweeping a gdam floor is child labor? You folks are insane.
Yeah, and I used to walk twenty miles to school with my little sister on my back. In the snow.

What's wrong with you? Setting up kids to be mocked because they are poor doesn't build character, it makes the kid an object of ridicule.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
And just this afternoon I mentioned to a friend that our Congressional Representatives don't live in the real world...

Making children sweep or mop floors in front of their friends would be the height of humiliation. I'm glad I don't live in GA and I feel sorry for anyone who is represented by this clown.
I believe he once extolled Jack Bauer as a hero that real life public servants should emulate. It was on Maher, around 2006, and he seemed amazed the audience didn't applaud!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Good.

Aint no free rides in life, someones paying.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:46 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
In my jr HS and later HS a number of male students were regularly selected to clean up the lunch room after each sitting. Nothing unusual. We were a private school so non-teaching staffing was rather limited.

In fact, I recall the football team was put to use pushing a manual grass cutter (normally hitched to a vehicle) to trim the playing fields and commons. It was large and heavy enough to require several persons to push or tow it. Pushing was preferred.

I do not see an issue with students doing something to appreciate the value of what they are being provided with. I do believe something given as free is never appreciated.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Exactly!!!

You can definitely tell who all the takers vs the producers are in this thread by the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies