Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:20 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

This happens to me whenever I visit my family in Alaska because practically everyone is a hardcore conservative republican (besides Anchorage, it's more like 50/50 there).

It doesn't matter if you are a Democrat or Republican...

Simply say, okay... I will tell you exactly why you should vote for (Republican) and you make a case as to why that person should be elected. If you say every point that your Republican friend/colleague/family member believes, they will automatically shut up. And now you ask them, okay so you thought I was brainwashed, now you prove to me you aren't the one who is brainwashed here. Most of the time, actually 100% of the time in my case, they cannot argue for the opposite side, which means they are the ones who are brainwashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 03:21 AM

37 posts, read 32,005 times
Everyone's brainwashed lookout!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:33 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Seriously? So anyone who is conservative are the brainwashed ones? I can't think of a time when people were so divided over a President. This is far worse than Carter. Reed is the head of the do-nothing Congress, and Obama is the most divisive President in history, yet it's the conservatives who control just 1/3rd of the government, and they are to blame for the situation? The brainwashed calling common sense the brainwashed? How rich is this?

What a bunch of liberal nonsense!!!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Seriously? So anyone who is conservative are the brainwashed ones? I can't think of a time when people were so divided over a President. This is far worse than Carter. Reed is the head of the do-nothing Congress, and Obama is the most divisive President in history, yet it's the conservatives who control just 1/3rd of the government, and they are to blame for the situation? The brainwashed calling common sense the brainwashed? How rich is this?

Did you not read the part where I said... IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A REPUBLIC OR DEMOCRAT?

I'm a Democrat, so when I go to Alaska, of course I get drawn into these big debates, so it's no shock that the people who accuse me of being brainwashed are conservatives.

If one of them went to San Francisco, I'm sure they would get called brainwashed by a liberal.

My entire point is no matter what party you affiliate yourself with.... you should learn the opposing arguments in all issues. If a liberal calls you brainwashed or whatever and you can say, okay, tell me if I'm right, you believe X because of _________ and Y because of ______________ and Z because of __________. If you make the same argument that liberal would have made, that liberal will be speechless because he/she will think... oh he really does understand why liberals believe in X, Y and Z.

Most of the time, people will say... oh so you're a liberal, you just want to tax the rich and give lazy poor people all their money! Or, oh so you're a conservative, you just want to prevent minorities from moving up in the world. That doesn't get you anywhere because the other person will think, NO I DON'T WANT TO JUST FORCE RICH PEOPLE TO GIVE THEIR MONEY TO THE POOR OR NO I DON'T WANT TO KEEP MINORITIES DOWN... because you know they have no clue what you are thinking, you no longer care about listening to them.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,920 times
Politics people's are when election coming more people's are comity meeting then political saying we will public protection. Most people's time doing west.There guy's knowing. for example news ...http://www.globalgujaratnews.in/international/.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:40 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wostone View Post
Politics people's are when election coming more people's are comity meeting then political saying we will public protection. Most people's time doing west.There guy's knowing. for example news ...http://www.globalgujaratnews.in/international/.
I give you credit for knowing a second language so, understand that I'm not making fun of you. Just so you know though, what you wrote this time, doesn't make much sense.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:

What third of the government is controlled by conservatives? The executive is liberals, the judiciary is mostly liberals, and the legislative is half and half conservatives controlling the House and liberals the Senate. I don't make that a third anyway at all. Maybe a sixth.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 AM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
Quote:
Reed is the head of the do-nothing Congress, and Obama is the most divisive President in history, yet it's the conservatives who control just 1/3rd of the government, and they are to blame for the situation? The brainwashed calling common sense the brainwashed? How rich is this?
False!
John Boehner is the head of the do-nothing Congress.
As a matter of fact, he's the poster child for most Republicans.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
False!
John Boehner is the head of the do-nothing Congress.
As a matter of fact, he's the poster child for most Republicans.
How can people actually NOT know what the United States Congress is? That's always mind blowing to me.

The United States Congress is the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States consisting of two houses: the House of Representatives and the Senate. Congress meets in the Capitol in Washington, D.C. Both representatives and senators are chosen through direct election. Members are affiliated to the Republican Party or to the Democratic Party, and only rarely to a third-party or as independents. Congress has 535 voting members: 435 Representatives and 100 Senators.

In simple language - the US Congress is the House of Representatives AND the Senate.
John Boehner is the leader in the House and Harry Reid is the leader in the Senate.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Did you not read the part where I said... IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A REPUBLIC OR DEMOCRAT?

I'm a Democrat, so when I go to Alaska, of course I get drawn into these big debates, so it's no shock that the people who accuse me of being brainwashed are conservatives.

If one of them went to San Francisco, I'm sure they would get called brainwashed by a liberal.

My entire point is no matter what party you affiliate yourself with.... you should learn the opposing arguments in all issues. If a liberal calls you brainwashed or whatever and you can say, okay, tell me if I'm right, you believe X because of _________ and Y because of ______________ and Z because of __________. If you make the same argument that liberal would have made, that liberal will be speechless because he/she will think... oh he really does understand why liberals believe in X, Y and Z.

Most of the time, people will say... oh so you're a liberal, you just want to tax the rich and give lazy poor people all their money! Or, oh so you're a conservative, you just want to prevent minorities from moving up in the world. That doesn't get you anywhere because the other person will think, NO I DON'T WANT TO JUST FORCE RICH PEOPLE TO GIVE THEIR MONEY TO THE POOR OR NO I DON'T WANT TO KEEP MINORITIES DOWN... because you know they have no clue what you are thinking, you no longer care about listening to them.

So quit allowing them to "draw you into the big debate", change the subject or walk away.
It really is not that complicated to not talk about politics.
It is your choice to continue in the conversation or walk away from it so don't blame them for your lack of ability to walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies