Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He did spend most of Christmas day posting about homosexuals
Prob just trying to save some sinners.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Since you bring it up: New NYC mayor’s wife talks about her lesbian past

Makes a person wonder just how gay some people really are, and how much of it is just a mental state of being.
Apparently you've never heard of bisexuals.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Stop judging others:

Matthew 7
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Before throwing a verse like that out, why don't you first find out what it means? I can judge homosexuality a sin, because God says it is. All sexual immorality is sin.

Matthew 5: 1 - 7:29 The Sermon on The Mount
Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, contrasting his ethical teaching with the legalism of the Pharisees.
We are to judge character (whether good or bad). We are not to judge a persons heart, which is God's realm.

The Pharisees were judging hypocritically, and they were relying on their traditions, not on scripture. That's why he says, over and over, "It has been said ... ," or "You have heard ... ," referring to their traditions.

It always amazes me that those who claim to believe the bible is a "fairy tale," or "fantasy," are quick to quote scripture (albeit without understanding what it means) and call Christians "hypocrites." Indeed, you are doing the very thing that Jesus was talking about in The Sermon on The Mount, judging hypocritically.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Before throwing a verse like that out, why don't you first find out what it means? I can judge homosexuality a sin, because God says it is. All sexual immorality is sin.

Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, contrasting his ethical teaching with the legalism of the Pharisees.
We are to judge character (whether good or bad). We are not to judge a persons heart, which is God's realm.

The Pharisees were judging hypocritically, and they were relying on their traditions, not on scripture. That's why he says, over and over, "It has been said ... ," or "You have heard ... ," referring to their traditions.

It always amazes me that those who claim to believe the bible is a "fairy tale," or "fantasy," are quick to quote scripture (albeit without understanding what it means) and call Christians "hypocrites." Indeed, you are doing the very thing that Jesus was talking about in The Sermon on The Mount, judging hypocritically.
Where does God say homosexuality is a sin?

Old 12-26-2013, 05:22 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Since you bring it up: New NYC mayor’s wife talks about her lesbian past

Makes a person wonder just how gay some people really are, and how much of it is just a mental state of being.
Sorry, but being gay is a part of someone, but being religious is a mental state of being, no one is born religious, it is taught, unlike sexuality.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

Why don't you tell us what this means? From the Gospel of Thomas..

Simon Peter said to them: Let Mariham go out from among us, for women are not worthy of the life. Jesus said: Look, I will lead her that I may make her male, in order that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who makes herself male will enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Gospel of Thomas Saying 114 - GospelThomas.com

Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM

423 posts, read 414,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Really? I can go to city hall downtown and marry a woman just like my neighbor can?
Yeah...as long as you're a man.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:34 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where does God say homosexuality is a sin?
Quote:
"'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. Leviticus 20:13
Now that sounds extreme, but we have to keep it in context. God also forbade, by threat of death, seafood because we all know that seafood is bad for you especially the filter mussels like clams, etc. because obviously, their evolutionary job is to filter the crap out of the water.

I believe God made all these harsh laws to protect the Jewish people just because they simply didn't know any better, because we didn't have science yet. If you study Catholic theology, you'd realize that a lot of these nonsensical sounding things actually have scientific basis. So if God is saying "don't eat seafood," is that really bad dietary advice for people living during 500 BC with no medical advances? I don't think so.

Additionally, is telling gay men not to do what they do in bed, bad health advice? I believe people should do whatever they want in their own bedrooms, but anal sex isn't healthy and can even be dangerous and any doctor would tell you that. So when God made these commandments, I think he wasn't targeting homosexuals, but rather the health implications of such things.

If you really read the things God forbids: seafood, pork, etc. and the things God approves of red wine, whole wheat, etc, it sounds like the big man upstairs had a few good health tips for the Jews, prior to science confirming their health benefits.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:37 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
That should read, "... does not mean ... "
And who do you think you are to judge others, even those who do not believe in your god, your bible or your religion? Are you thus open to following the tenets of everyones religion, or is it just the christian religion that should mandate their morality into law? I honestly do not see this from other religions, just many that are christian feel that they should rule and make everyone follow their beliefs, even if it means going door to door to convert everyone to christianity, even going to countries that are not christian and pushing their morals and beliefs upon the people.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Now that sounds extreme, but we have to keep it in context. God also forbade, by threat of death, seafood because we all know that seafood is bad for you especially the filter mussels like clams, etc. because obviously, their evolutionary job is to filter the crap out of the water.

I believe God made all these harsh laws to protect the Jewish people just because they simply didn't know any better, because we didn't have science yet. If you study Catholic theology, you'd realize that a lot of these nonsensical sounding things actually have scientific basis. So if God is saying "don't eat seafood," is that really bad dietary advice for people living during 500 BC with no medical advances? I don't think so.

Additionally, is telling gay men not to do what they do in bed, bad health advice? I believe people should do whatever they want in their own bedrooms, but anal sex isn't healthy and can even be dangerous and any doctor would tell you that. So when God made these commandments, I think he wasn't targeting homosexuals, but rather the health implications of such things.

If you really read the things God forbids: seafood, pork, etc. and the things God approves of red wine, whole wheat, etc, it sounds like the big man upstairs had a few good health tips for the Jews, prior to science confirming their health benefits.
That makes more sense than simply stating that homosexuality is a sin just because.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies