Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could an long term unemployed business executive get a minimum wage job if they tried?
Yes, they just need bodies, they don't care you used to make good money 21 30.00%
Unlikely because these jobs are set aside for others 13 18.57%
No chance in the world they would be hired 29 41.43%
Don't know 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I tried. It took two years before I finally got a job at Home Depot. The harder I worked, the more the "managers" hated me. One particular incident illustrates this theme, although the one time I made the effort to post about it, it was ignored by the con crowd. Didn't fit their fairy-tale scenario or their thinly-disguised greed.

I'm sure many other older unemployed professionals have similar stories. No, they don't want older people, and they especially don't want intelligent, educated older people. If you're in your 50s with a professional career and you've been laid off, you will probably never have meaningful employment again.

Cons know this. They just don't care.
Of course there are good managers and bad managers. A good manager is not going to hate you more, the harder you work. Most people stay in a job like that, and don't take the initiative to move on. I have done it myself; I wasted several years working a place where I worked my butt off and was not appreciated. When I finally quit, the mgr offered me a raise to stay, but I declined. After I left some of my ex-co-workers told me that the company had all kinds of problems getting a replacement to do what I did. You have to take initiative and find a place that is well managed--they are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,409,333 times
Only a idiot would hire someone who had made 80K+ before.

1. they have high salary expectations
2. when they get a opportunity that matches their past income they will be GONE.

And be honest....you're going to hire the best candidates, and very very rarely will these people be it.

Yeah maybe some of the truly old folk who desperately need the job, and whose job opportunities are GONE....those might be worthwhile.
Im amazed that everyone thinks "oh go get a $10/hr job" for a high paid professional is easy. your competition for that job will take it and stay there. You? You'll take it out of desperation, but then look for a better paying job.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,213,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

2. when they get a opportunity that matches their past income they will be GONE.

And be honest....you're going to hire the best candidates, and very very rarely will these people be it.

Yeah maybe some of the truly old folk who desperately need the job, and whose job opportunities are GONE....those might be worthwhile.
Im amazed that everyone thinks "oh go get a $10/hr job" for a high paid professional is easy. your competition for that job will take it and stay there. You? You'll take it out of desperation, but then look for a better paying job.
Only an idiot posts what you did. As for #2 in your post - DUH. Of course they would jump.

Most low wage jobs are not held by people who expect to earn that wage a long time. The turnover of retail, restaurant workers is very high. These people quit (or get fired) at the drop of a hat. The business that hired them knows this. They will hire another person when that happens because the supply of candidates is plentiful.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,346,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

You have described many of today's new 'teachers'.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,183,542 times
I'm on the wrong side of 50, quit corporate America, and quickly found a job in an area that is recovering but is nowhere near the highs of pre-2008, making over $20 an hour which is good enough for me. So there are jobs out there. My lovely bride has just turned 49 years and 20 months ( ) and her old employers have been trying to hire her back ever since they discovered her back in the area.

What I found interesting about the OP's question is the idea that an executive was only making $80K a year. Most CEO's are making well in excess of that, even those working for non-profits. If a CEO was only making $80k, that CEO was doing a poorish job and was being compensated accordingly.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,937,250 times
Director XXX at local company Y likely has a mortgage to pay and kids' college tuition to pay. Show me how that is possible on a McDonald's wage.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Yet illegals fresh over the border of any age are having no trouble at all finding jobs.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:09 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,409,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Only an idiot posts what you did. As for #2 in your post - DUH. Of course they would jump.

Most low wage jobs are not held by people who expect to earn that wage a long time. The turnover of retail, restaurant workers is very high. These people quit (or get fired) at the drop of a hat. The business that hired them knows this. They will hire another person when that happens because the supply of candidates is plentiful.
Yes, I am sure I am a idiot. LOL.

If you're hiring low wage people, you want to find ones that won't leave you. Yes turnover is high, but guess what? Turnover is NOT good. The lower your turnover the better off you are generally with employees. At low wages you WILL have higher turnover, but hiring someone who is almost guaranteed to be a employee turnover within a few months is not a good business proposition.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,293,486 times
People are very suspicious if one has a degree and a highly qualified background on their resume. They think those people will leave as soon as they get a better or higher paying job (and they would be right). It's even worse if job seekers are over 50--companies don't want older people on their health insurance policies. Why do you think they "lay them off" in the first place? Hopefully the ACA will alleviate that particular problem, but too many companies still offer health insurance and the older workers spike the rates. Probably the people on medicare find it easier to get low paid jobs as they do not need health insurance.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,020 times
I am in the minority that said a lot of those jobs are set aside for others. I used to work in hospitality and the only way I have seen folks get those jobs is by knowing someone. The fact is the managers usually prefer to hire someone they know is not a flake or get a recommendation from someone they trust that the person they are hiring is not flakey. This is a tried and true way to avoid a revolving door employment problem and having to constantly deal with hiring/firing folks and the reprecussions thereof. It also is pretty effective in avoiding UE benefits and workers comp scammers. On the downside if you don't have an in you are pretty much not going to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies