Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They are not parallel. Cruz is an official citizen of Canada, just like Arnold Schwartzenegger is an official citizen of Austria. Neither can become President if they renounce the citizenship of their birth.

Cruz would find greener fields in Canada right now than here in the States. He should take advantage of his Canadian citizenship and go into politics up there where he actually could become Prime Minister.
We don't want him back and would never vote him in as Prime Minister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I dont believe anyone knows their citizenship at birth. Did BO know later in life, who knows. Did Ted Cruz know he was born in Canada until last year...He said he didnt know he was a Candian citizen. I guess he didn't put two and two together.
Actually I think when Cruz was born, all Canadian citizens were considered British subjects to the queen of England. Wasn't there some Canadian law finally past in the 1970s that changed that? So actually, Barack and Ted may have both been looked upon as British subjects during their youth.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Actually I think when Cruz was born, all Canadian citizens were considered British subjects to the queen of England. Wasn't there some Canadian law finally past in the 1970s that changed that? So actually, Barack and Ted may have both been looked upon as British subjects during their youth.
They may be considered British subjects, but Canadians have their own National identity. Canadians are not English citizens.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Rafael Cruz's daddy was a Cuban revolutionary. Rafael himself was born in Canada and avoided service in the US military.

This creep gets way too much press.
Cruz's dad was young and didn't realize how evil Castro was. He fled Cuba because of Castro. But that part of the story is unimportant, right?

There are many people who were once affiliated with left-wing movements who have become Christian conservatives. What's your beef? Are you a racist? Sounds like it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-03-2014 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If it didn't matter with Obama then it doesn't matter with Cruz.
It didn't matter with Obama because he was born in Hawaii, a US state. Teddie was born in Canada, not a US state!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:18 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cruz is an official citizen of Canada, just like Arnold Schwartzenegger is an official citizen of Austria. Neither can become President if they renounce the citizenship of their birth.
unlike schwartzenegger, cruz was also a citizen of the US at birth ( and, according to the congressional research service, meets the standard for "natural born citizen" ). there is no need for cruz to renounce his canadian citizenship ( and still has yet to do so as far as i know ).

Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 PM

130 posts, read 133,757 times
Interesting debate, one small thing though, Cruz was born a Canadian subject.
He did NOT HOLD US citizenship at birth as Canada does not use jus sanguinis, so in Canada he was a Canadian subject only at birth.

Does the USA ignore the fact he was born a subject ?

Last edited by makaraka66; 01-02-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
He did NOT HOLD US citizenship at birth as Canada does not use jus sanguinis,.....
he did have US citizenship at birth because the US does recognize jus sanguinis. it doesn't matter in this situation wether canada recognizes it or not. here's what the US state dept has to say:

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The dems will be more than happy to declare Cruz a citizen. I cannot think of another candidate the dems would rather have as the republican candidate. His biggest barrier to the nomination will be Rove & co--not dems or birthers. Other candidates would have a field day showing clips of Cruz wasting taxpayer money reading Dr. Seuss and imitating Star Wars characters all night in the Capitol building prior to shutting down the government and wasting even more taxpayer money. It's three years to the election and he's already campaigning. Gotta wonder when he has time to do any actual work. Being a demagog is a full-time job.
^^This.

Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz is the dream GOP candidate for the Democratic Party.

Run, Ted, run!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I prefer rational officials who understand science and are problem solvers.

You?

I know I do, that's why I support Ted Cruz. He's done a great job in Texas and he would do wonderful for the US, the only problem is many liberals in this country have a different concept of "good". To liberals like yourself good = more debt created by more social programs. Good = more healthcare for everyone at a lower quality for everyone. Good = more taxes on those darn rich people who end up being not so rich once the laws pass.

Ted Cruz is a hell of a lot smarter than any liberal I've ever met, he certainly makes the CD liberal posse look like the fools that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies