Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the #1 reason/correlation for crime?
Lack of education 11 12.22%
Low income 8 8.89%
Poverty 29 32.22%
Certain racial groups 24 26.67%
Other 18 20.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The specification is black and poor. The MI black population is in fact higher than AL or MS. And the Detroit Black population is a higher percentage...almost double...of either. And both MS and AL have a lower poverty level and substantially higher incomes than Detroit.

You simply don't have a basis for suggesting that black and poor is not the causal for the crime problem in the core of the rust belt cities. It appears clear that it is. There well may be other terms...ie the presence of black males between 14 and 29...but it is clearly a major factor.
I never said being poor wasn't the issue. I was saying that a major factor is "cheek to jowl" living. Crowded conditions tend to exasperate alot of things and make things worse.

And as far as Black population, I think said person was talking about percentages, not raw numbers. And yes, I would say that Michigan and Alabama have higher incomes. However, you have to compare state to state. You have to compare apples to apples.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said being poor wasn't the issue. I was saying that a major factor is "cheek to jowl" living. Crowded conditions tend to exasperate alot of things and make things worse.

And as far as Black population, I think said person was talking about percentages, not raw numbers. And yes, I would say that Michigan and Alabama have higher incomes. However, you have to compare state to state. You have to compare apples to apples.
It would be ideal to compare apples to apples but that is not what we are discussing here. That is a claim that rural southern black and poor are relatively free of crime. So we are trying to compare a city to a non city. Hence Apples and Pears. And one side of the equation is Detroit or similar. Otherwise you lose all relevance.

Note that Detroit is not particularly cheek to jowl. That is one of the big problems. It is a very big city with scattered neighborhoods and much open space.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM

320 posts, read 578,503 times
Quote:
There are more blacks in MI than in AL. The AL income is almost twice that of Detroit. Poverty levels in the AL cities is half that of Detroit.

Your belief that the rurals, or rural AL in particular, is lower in black crime is not supported by any statistic of which I am aware. You need to get to similar poverty levels and age structures.
Besides Detroit and Flint I've never heard of large populations of black people in Michigan. Where do these black people in Michigan live? I've been through Bama top to bottom and I've seen black folks in cities, towns and in the country. I don't need statistics about the rural South. I'm a black man from the South and I live in a rural area in the South.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It would be ideal to compare apples to apples but that is not what we are discussing here. That is a claim that rural southern black and poor are relatively free of crime. So we are trying to compare a city to a non city. Hence Apples and Pears. And one side of the equation is Detroit or similar. Otherwise you lose all relevance.

Note that Detroit is not particularly cheek to jowl. That is one of the big problems. It is a very big city with scattered neighborhoods and much open space.
The point is that poverty in urban areas has somewhat of a different dynamic compared to rural areas. Certain cultural aspects might be similar, but I would say that urban areas tend to have a different dynamic. I never said that rural Black areas were free of crime. I said being in a rural area can play a part on what crime rates might be.

You cant' compare a city to an entire state. That is why I compared a state to a state.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Besides Detroit and Flint I've never heard of large populations of black people in Michigan. Where do these black people in Michigan live? I've been through Bama top to bottom and I've seen black folks in cities, towns and in the country. I don't need statistics about the rural South. I'm a black man from the South and I live in a rural area in the South.
There are around 1.4 milllion black people in Michigan. About half in Detroit, Flint and Saginaw. The rest are spread around.

Mississippi shows about 1,16 million black people. Alabama about 1.27 million.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The point is that poverty in urban areas has somewhat of a different dynamic compared to rural areas. Certain cultural aspects might be similar, but I would say that urban areas tend to have a different dynamic. I never said that rural Black areas were free of crime. I said being in a rural area can play a part on what crime rates might be.

You cant' compare a city to an entire state. That is why I compared a state to a state.
sure you can. And have to if you want to consider rural poor. But you can't compare the partial population of a city by comparing its state. Has no meaning.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I will choose, "other". Entitlement attitude. The, "I deserve to have this" belief whether it be shoplifting, stealing from someone else to pay for drugs, or to sell for cash, it, to me, comes from an entitlement attitude.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
That is the major difference. Most of Michigan's Black population is concentrated in urban areas such as Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Saginaw, Muskegon, basically, the cities, and some of the suburbs. There are few places where Blacks are living in rural areas of Michigan. The dynamic is different for Mississippi and Alabama.

And for rural areas in general, crime is of a different nature. High crime rates can occur in rural areas. Consider oxycontin. There is an epidemic of that in many rural areas of Appalachia. One pill of oxy can go for over $100 in parts of eastern Kentucky, much more than on the streets of Louisville.

I look at it like this. There is alot of poverty, deprivation, and even crime in parts of Appalachia. The nature of crime in that area differs from being in the city. It's more spread out.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
sure you can. And have to if you want to consider rural poor. But you can't compare the partial population of a city by comparing its state. Has no meaning.
It has meaning when one considered WHERE in Michigan Blacks are living. It has meaning when one considers WHERE? As someone who has a degree in Geography, this is something I've had to learn. One has to look at the spatial distribution.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It has meaning when one considered WHERE in Michigan Blacks are living. It has meaning when one considers WHERE? As someone who has a degree in Geography, this is something I've had to learn. One has to look at the spatial distribution.
And the spatial distribution of black people in Detroit is utterly different than that of the rest of Michigan.

Detroit is most interesting as a model in that it is so extreme. You can work a St. Louis or a Rochester or Baltimore but you don't get the limit case as you do in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies