Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Look, chest pain aside, most visits to the emergency department don't remotely come close to the concept of what a life or limb threatening emergency is, so I'm not buying the drama and tripe.

And it doesn't matter what kind of insurance or any at all...the ER is there to save you, not make your cold go away or diagnose your years-long chronic toe pain.

Chest pain lady left against everyone's better judgement. That was just stupid on her part.
I agree that the ER is abused. And if you look back at the second page, I posted a link to a study showing that Obamacare will make this problem much worse.

The bigger issue is what all of the crazy last minute changes have done to people who this was supposed to have helped. A story on CBS today talks about a doctor whose office spent 2 hours on hold trying to verify insurance benefits so a woman could have surgery. The doctor finally just agreed to do the surgery without the approval, hoping he will get paid later. And the husband is pissed because he could get stuck with the bill also.

Pushing off the signup dates until the 24th (and even after) has caused a huge problem for the insurance companies and the people 'insured' by them. And there are still problems with the website. Tens of thousands of people in several different states have found out since Jan. 1 that they have no insurance because the files were transmitted incorrectly from the federal website to the state Medicaid websites. And now they are having to reapply, crossing their fingers that they will be covered eventually. And stories have come out of several states of people whose children weren't eligible for coverage because of a glitch in the website.

Obama knew none of this was ready, but wasn't willing to delay. And now this is having consequence in people's actual health.

Here's one story that does a multi-state breakdown of problems with Obamacare since Jan. 1.
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/01/03...avoc-americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
WOW
Let's hear your explanation of how every story about this leads right back to the Daily Mail.
Do you honestly believe these sick people contacted the British tabloids?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
I think a lot of people are confused, there is no such thing as Obamacare Insurance, you sign up with a provider and they send you an ID card ... Didn't get your ID card and failed to call and see why ???

The Hospital isn't magically going to know what coverage you have, that is NOT how it works.

When I go to the Doctor or Hospital I show them my insurance card(if they don't already have it) and I get whatever treatment is necessary, what my insurance doesn't cover I pay, all I have ever had to pay is my deductible then 20% up to my max out of pocket. My deductible is NO where near $6,000, that is junk insurance.

I DO think we should have an Opt-Out clause; You say you don't want/need health insurance you can pay your way?? OKAY, you go to the doctor or hospital you MUST pay any and all expected charges in CASH BEFORE any treatment is rendered(NO Emergency exceptions), NO checks or Credit Cards, too easy to stop payment or file bankruptcy ... have $50,000 ready for that Appendix surgery, this is one of many cases where you get the surgery or you DIE.

Nothing has changed with MY policy other than my premium went down a little because I belong to a Wellness program that has determined I am "healthy", I expected the "normal" 10-15% increase I believe a FAR majority of Americans experience is similar to mine although they may see the normal increase.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:20 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Because of Obamadoesn'tcare, I refuse to buy that overpriced crap.

I will use the ER and not pay like illegal aliens.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I agree that the ER is abused. And if you look back at the second page, I posted a link to a study showing that Obamacare will make this problem much worse.

The bigger issue is what all of the crazy last minute changes have done to people who this was supposed to have helped. A story on CBS today talks about a doctor whose office spent 2 hours on hold trying to verify insurance benefits so a woman could have surgery. The doctor finally just agreed to do the surgery without the approval, hoping he will get paid later. And the husband is pissed because he could get stuck with the bill also.

Pushing off the signup dates until the 24th (and even after) has caused a huge problem for the insurance companies and the people 'insured' by them. And there are still problems with the website. Tens of thousands of people in several different states have found out since Jan. 1 that they have no insurance because the files were transmitted incorrectly from the federal website to the state Medicaid websites. And now they are having to reapply, crossing their fingers that they will be covered eventually. And stories have come out of several states of people whose children weren't eligible for coverage because of a glitch in the website.

Obama knew none of this was ready, but wasn't willing to delay. And now this is having consequence in people's actual health.

Here's one story that does a multi-state breakdown of problems with Obamacare since Jan. 1.
ObamaCare Begins Wreaking Havoc on Americans - Fox Nation
Still today the Republicans after yammering about Repeal and Replace havent come up with a plan. By November 10 million people will be covered by the ACA. If you are a Republican are you going to tell those people you will lose you insurance in 30 days but we have a great gubbermint solution? Which Republican plan will they go on Medicare, VA, or Tricare? See Republicans have plans but they dont have anything for the people who pay taxes.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
People are getting turned away from hospitals because their new Obamacare insurance can't be confirmed. Sebelius claimed people would now have "health security" when they are getting the opposite. Note that one of these women said she had her own private insurance that was canceled in Nov. So she lost her insurance, most likely due to Obamacare regulations, and now can't get care under her Obamacare plan.

And another story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532869/They-no-idea-insurance-active-not-At-Virginia-hospitals-Obamacare-confusion-reigns-frustrated-patients-walk-out.html
You are going to look foolish for spreading this Henny Penny crap. The ACA is an historic advancement in access to health care in the US.

Also, quit linking to British newspapers. Not even the Brits take them seriously.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Still today the Republicans after yammering about Repeal and Replace havent come up with a plan. By November 10 million people will be covered by the ACA. If you are a Republican are you going to tell those people you will lose you insurance in 30 days but we have a great gubbermint solution? Which Republican plan will they go on Medicare, VA, or Tricare? See Republicans have plans but they dont have anything for the people who pay taxes.
Let me give you an example of a taxpayer you are talking about. She is a 43 year old woman who doesn't smoke and in generally good health. Before her insurance was cancelled due to the requirements implemented by the ACA, her insurance premiums were $186 a month. Her copay was $2 a visit. Her deductible was $0. She enrolled under the ACA. Her premium is now $216 a month, she has no copay, but she now has a deductible of $5800. She doesn't have the money to pay the deductible amount, so in essence she has no health insurance to speak of and she has to pay for the privilege of not having it. Yeah this is quite the milestone. As for what the republicans had offered as an alternative, as you surely recall, they were locked out of negotiations while the democrats had a super majority. No proposals the republicans had to offer were ever even considered. I'm not even a republican and it pissed me off. You people think everyone that has signed up under the ACA is a happy camper. I have news for you. A lot of them are mad as hell.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post

gubbermint Medicare, VA, or Tricare

boringgokid is in the house

Old 01-03-2014, 04:54 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Complete BS, emergency departments are required to treat you reguardless of your ability to pay or coverage. It has been that way since the 1980's when Reagan signed it into law. They will not change treatment without coverage, if you need to be admitted there's a really good damn reason you will be. There is certainly no way a nurse would tell some one what their bill is before treatment...because they don't know what that treatment will be.

I am shocked so many people lap this up. Some people really have no idea how the health care system even remotely works.

I see you missed the point.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
when did obama become our government? just asking...is it "I, the President? or We, the People?"

How did this get this far?

Obama "Is Ready to RULE on Day One"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies