Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You do realize don't you that vaccination doesn't always work?
Why should my premiums go up because you're one of those people who insist on a phony (doesn't work) flu shot every year?..and then still get sick anyways?
It's the measles shots that are keeping it alive....and outbreaks among the vaccinated are veeery common.
I've never understood why if you believe in vaccines so much, you'd ever even give a second thought to someones who's not?
The 2013 Measles Outbreak: A Failing Vaccine, Not A Failure To

Canadian Measles Outbreak Hits the Vaccinated. Excuses Abound. | Gaia HealthGaia Health
The flu shot is about 80% effective, but can very from year to year. Take your chances if you like, I will opt for the shot.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
So says the great cdc..................Flu vaccine efficacy: Time to revise public messages? | CIDRAP
With those odds I'll pass on the mercury myself.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Propaganda in the mass media is interesting to me.
What propaganda?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So says the great cdc..................Flu vaccine efficacy: Time to revise public messages? | CIDRAP
What mercury?

Quote:

The report stressed that existing vaccines are the best flu prevention weapon
available and should continue to be used, but called for increased efforts to
develop better vaccines.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:25 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Quote:
Now, let me see . . . which one of the posters here is in Atlanta?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
The articles conveniately leave out pertinent information (typical CDC), such as what kind of health these people were in beforehand....as I understand it MOST had other health conditions.
If they had been vaccinated (and two were) with this years flu vaccine of choice...whose to say one of the other 80 some odd strains wouldn't have got them?
The predominant strain circulating this year is A H1N1. It is causing about 90% of the total influenza cases, which means it is causing most of the deaths. It is covered by the vaccine.

From the childhood deaths link above:

"40 percent of these children had no recognized chronic health problems."

The information is there. You just have to read it.

Of the deaths who were vaccinated, we do not know whether it was due to a strain not in the vaccine or whether the infection happened soon after the patient had the vaccine and before it had time to work.

You can try to rationalize it to fit your personal view, but the fact is that the majority of people who die from influenza were not vaccinated against it.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
There is no mercury in the single dose flu vaccine.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
The articles conveniately leave out pertinent information (typical CDC), such as what kind of health these people were in beforehand....as I understand it MOST had other health conditions.
If they had been vaccinated (and two were) with this years flu vaccine of choice...whose to say one of the other 80 some odd strains wouldn't have got them?
Ask and it shall be given you! See below. The information you asked for is in the link I posted three days ago in this thread, and just now starred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
90% of child deaths from flu last year occurred in unimmunized children. Anecdotes do not make good arguments.

****CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)
More than 40 percent of child flu death victims were healthy: Study - CBS News

Now the anti-vaxers, who do not understand epidemiology, think 40% is negligible, but it's almost half! If 40% who were immunized had some reaction, the anti-vaxers would be up in arms, preferably AK-47s!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Why should my premiums go up because you're one of those people who insist on a phony (doesn't work) flu shot every year?..and then still get sick anyways?
It's the measles shots that are keeping it alive....and outbreaks among the vaccinated are veeery common.
I've never understood why if you believe in vaccines so much, you'd ever even give a second thought to someones who's not?

Canadian Measles Outbreak Hits the Vaccinated. Excuses Abound. | Gaia HealthGaia Health
The link from greenmedinfo is another piece of disingenous anti-vax garbage. If you click on the link in the article , that references the original CNN broadcast, you find a different story altogether than the title purports, to wit: "Among those who have been stricken with measles this year, 92% were not vaccinated or had unknown vaccination status. The largest outbreak was in New York, where 58 people contracted measles in a community where many refuse to be vaccinated for religious reasons." In the measles epidemic of the late 1980s/early 90s, it was learned that two doses of measles vaccine was needed to produce optimum immunity. All the US outbreaks it discusses other than in 2013 happened before or during that epidemic. But that's how the anti-vax people operate.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:

It has repeatedly been explained to you that when you talk about people who catch an infectious disease for which they have been vaccinated, you have to consider the number of vaccinated people who do not catch the disease.

When you ignore that and continue to insist that "outbreaks among the vaccinated are veeery common", I can only conclude you are deliberately trying to mislead your readers.

Some people who are vaccinated do not develop immunity and get the disease, although they frequently have a milder illness when they do.

Once again, here is how it works.

Take 1000 US children. About 90% of them are vaccinated for measles = 900.
That means about 100 are not vaccinated.

The measles vaccine is about 95% effective. That means 5% or 0.05 x 900 or 45 of the vaccinated children are not protected by the vaccine.

Measles has about a 90 to 95% attack rate.

So, let's expose all 1000 children to measles.

45 vaccinated children are still unprotected and susceptible to measles. 40 to 43 of them will catch the disease.

100 unvaccinated children are susceptible: 90 to 95 of them will catch measles.

However, 855 children were protected by the vaccine and did not catch measles.

In a highly vaccinated population, some vaccinated individuals will still catch the disease. However, the risk of catching it is much higher if you are not vaccinated. In the example above, about 90 out of 100 unvaccinated children got measles. Only 4 out of 100 vaccinated kids did. The unvacccinated kids were 22 times more likely to catch measles.

If you are scared of vaccines because of what you read on anti-vaccination web sites, just say so. Do not try to pretend vaccines do not work. They do.

Explaining Measles Outbreaks Despite High Vaccination Status | Shot of Prevention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies