Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
No, you silly goose. If you told me you believe in god and didn't believe in the existence of aliens, fine. If you told me you believed in aliens but not god, fine. If you told me you believed in aliens AND god, also fine. But you said you don't believe in god AND simultaneously don't believe in aliens, which means you have poor math and probability skills.
I do suck at math, what's your point? What is so shocking about my views? I require proof of god, why wouldn't I require proof of aliens? It seems to go hand in hand, it's not like I'm being inconsistent. But go ahead & continue to insult, it's so charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I do suck at math, what's your point? What is so shocking about my views? I require proof of god, why wouldn't I require proof of aliens? It seems to go hand in hand, it's not like I'm being inconsistent. But go ahead & continue to insult, it's so charming.
Consider all the galaxies in the universe.

If only 1 out of every billion galaxies contains life (1 of 1,000,000,000), and if only 1 out of every billion stars in those life-containing galaxies has orbiting planets capable of supporting life, and if only 1 out of every billion of those planets that could support life actually does support life, and if only 1 out of every billion of those planets that supports life supports intelligent life, then there are hundreds of billions of intelligent civilizations in the universe.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Consider all the galaxies in the universe.

If only 1 out of every billion galaxies contains life (1 of 1,000,000,000), and if only 1 out of every billion stars in those life-containing galaxies has orbiting planets capable of supporting life, and if only 1 out of every billion of those planets that could support life actually does support life, and if only 1 out of every billion of those planets that supports life supports intelligent life, then there are hundreds of billions of intelligent civilizations in the universe.
Yeah, I get it. I'm simply saying that I do not find it plausible for alien life.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
"Aliens Exist' Says Canada's Former Defense Minister -- Fusion.

To people who worship government, I guess a lot of people will believe this guy.

Over the weekend, Paul Hellyer, former Canadian defense minister, went on television and declared that not only do aliens exist but that they walk amongst us and are responsible for some of our modern technology. Among these tech gifts are the microchip, LED light and Kevlar vest.

The LED? Really?
his "sources" an ha ha ha

pretty funny stuff

Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
There may be a tiny sliver of a fraction's chance that life doesn't exist elsewhere throughout the Universe, but you'd be very hard pressed to find a Scientist that thinks that.

The Universe is far too massive and we know for too little to make any conclusions.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,767 times
Quote:
I'm not insulting you, just pointing out that your theory requires a belief in Magic or other supernatural powers to make sense.

Since you don't believe in a supernatural creator, that means you believe that life on Earth came to be through natural phenomena. To then claim that this is the ONLY planet in any solar system in any galaxy in any galaxy cluster in the entire universe where that has ever taken place just doesn't make any sense. This star has 8 planets in its rotation. This galaxy had 300 billion stars. There are at least 300 billion galaxies. The human brain can't really understand these numbers, but we are able to at least get some perspective on our limits of comprehension.

From a mathematical perspective, if today you bought tickets for 3 different lotteries and assumed you would win all of them, that would be way, wayyyyyyyyy more reasonable than your assumption that there is no other life in the universe.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get it. I'm simply saying that I do not find it plausible for alien life.
How do you come to the conclusion that it's implausible?

The plausible conclusion is that there are trillions of intelligent civilizations throughout the universe.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM

293 posts, read 469,204 times
Well that settles it. Aliens do exist.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Well, when it comes to the national defense of Canada, I imagine he had plenty of free time in his workday to investigate the extraterrestrials:

9:00 am: Arrive at office

9:02 am: Confirm that US still exists

9:03 am-5:00 pm: Aliens
Pretty much sums it up.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
While Mr Helleyers conjectures sound far fetched just as he cant prove he's right i cant prove he's wrong, make for a good guest on the overnight Coast to Coast radio show..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies