Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:13 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes and no.

Abnormal = different from what is normal or average

Heterosexuality is the more common, or average. Being black in a KKK meeting, or being jewish at a babtism, are both examples in UNCOMMON. Not the average, and could be considered abnormal.

I think the OP was trying to point out, that the word itself, abnormal, only has a negative connotation if we ascribe one to it. Without that association, it's simply the pointing out a difference from the norm.
which focuses on one deviation from the norm. Other than the choice of partner, human sexuality is fairly basic.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,085,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
How is your tought process any different? Your post contains the very same elements you decry.
How so?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
which focuses on one deviation from the norm. Other than the choice of partner, human sexuality is fairly basic.
Not really. The purpose of sexuality is procreation. We're talking going completely against the purpose of sex. If the purpose of sex is procreation and gays cannot procreate with each other, there is nothing basic about their sexuality.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Saying that it is not normal to be homosexual is like saying it isn't normal to be an atheist. You're both a minority. Since your lifestyle differs from most people, that makes you abnormal.

That's just definitions and the English language. I didn't put Christmas lights on the outside of my house. That made me abnormal on my street.

Problem is when you say you disagree with being abnormal in a hateful way. I don't like abortion. I would never support my partner having one. However, I don't go to an abortion clinic and call women walking out whores and murderers.

There is a difference

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
How so?
How so is your tought process the same because you do the very same things in your posting as you critizise in your post?...thats how.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Saying homosexuality is abnormal is hate speech. It legitimizes bigotry and discrimination by making homophobia a respectable form of prejudice. That's the main problem with it.
Homosexual acts are an immoral perversion and justly criticised. Criticism of immoral perversion is an acceptable form of prejudice.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not really. The purpose of sexuality is procreation. We're talking going completely against the purpose of sex. If the purpose of sex is procreation and gays cannot procreate with each other, there is nothing basic about their sexuality.
Incorrect. The result of sexual intercourse is procreation the purpose on non-coital sex is enjoyment. You are out of the norm for not understanding the difference between sex and sexuality.

If a woman and man use conrtraception are their sexual acts abnormal?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
To say not normal is one thing. That's technically correct.But the OP also said it was not natural.That is not correct.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,342 times
Your question is not phrased properly, its not if anything is wrong, but do you have the right. Yes you have a right to say you don't like homosexuals. You have a right to say you don't like blacks, Hispanics, Whites, ect. You don't have a right to act on those dislikes. Right or wrong is a different thing. Is it right to say you don't like black people? Well that is in the mind of the individual. I would say some people think its right but a majority think its not. I think that in the pre civil rights era there would be more people who said it was right than today. More people then would say homosexual behavior is wrong then today. As more and more people come out and affect people who are friends and related to them your going to be a smaller and smaller group. More religions have abandon this idea as untenable. Its a lot like trying to keep the idea that Cigarettes are healthful from the 40s in todays thinking. Its just not going to fly and your gong to be odd man or woman out.

The bible says a lot of crazy crap and to pick one POS out and fly that into battle is nuts. What about Lev. that says eating shell fish is an abomination? I could list a book load of quotes from the bible that is just off the wall crazy crap that most preachers whisk past and try not to look at they are so nuts. How about Jephthah burning his virgin daughter to sacrifice to god for winning a battle. You pick one turd out of the septic and say this one is a good one. LOL

Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
There are a lot of people making headlines these days for making anti-gay statements. These people are heavily criticized and some must even pay with their jobs and/or positions.

What I want to know is, why is it wrong to say that homosexuality is abnormal? It is one thing to spread hate speech or discriminate against someone because they are gay or deprive them of their civil rights because they are gay, but I really don't see why it is such a big deal when someone who is high profile says that being gay is abnormal, because it obviously is abnormal.

I have absolutely no ill will towards anyone who is gay. I could easily sit down and have a friendly convo with someone I knew was gay, and I fully support their right to have the same federal benefits as straight couples who've made a legal commitment to one another..... but do I think their sexual preferences are "normal" or "natural"?.....

no, I don't, and I don't see a problem with saying so. There are a lot of people who do things that are abnormal, but that doesn't mean I hate them or would discriminate against them for it.
There are a couple of issues with your post, but probably the worst is your intellectual dishonesty.

As others have posted, comments that homosexuality is "abnormal" do not occur in a vacuum, but are almost invariably coupled with statements that homosexuality is wrong, sinful, unhealthy, or, as the Catholic church has it, intrinsically disordered. Therefore, you are not being honest in claiming that you or others are simply making an innocent statement that homosexuality is beyond the numerical norms.

In short, if all you were doing was saying that homosexuality is on the same footing as being left-handed or having red hair, both of which are abnormal in terms of population distribution, that would be one thing, but that is never, never what is meant. To pretend otherwise is the height of hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies