Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support an increase in alcohol taxes to fund evening/nighttime transit options?
Yes 7 22.58%
No 22 70.97%
Maybe 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 AM

642 posts, read 1,114,132 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of $$$ the government can generate from "sin taxes" (think Colorado RMJ) that could help fund projects that can reduce the harm these "sins" cause, like drunk driving for example.

Here in Albuquerque we have a few safe ride / drunk taxi programs, but these services tend to have reliability issues (1+ hour wait times, etc.). Also, a lot of the drivers for these services do so on a voluntary basis, so although the service is usually free or low-cost, a good tip ($20-$30) is still highly recommended for these services. With some additional funding, local governments could expand and improve these programs to help encourage and promote responsible drinking.

Also, in many places, bus service stops early, and taxis can be very expensive and unreliable. Places that have nightlife centers or bar clusters could offer bus service that mimics school busses that cover more areas of the metro.

The reason I think this could is work is because the people who benefit from these services will be the ones footing the bill. Bars and Clubs could also potentially see an increase in their customer base from those who previously had logistical issues getting safely to and from the bar.

Could this work? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
It wouldn't work. Even if people had transit options to and from the bars they would still prefer to drive their own car. Between the people who would still drive anyway and the people who live within walking distance to their favorite hangouts (like me), you would just be upping the cost of booze and the great majority of people wouldn't get anything out of it.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Very possibly. I don't drink alcohol and I don't intend to drink alcohol in the near future, so yeah.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 AM

642 posts, read 1,114,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
It wouldn't work. Even if people had transit options to and from the bars they would still prefer to drive their own car. Between the people who would still drive anyway and the people who live within walking distance to their favorite hangouts (like me), you would just be upping the cost of booze and the great majority of people wouldn't get anything out of it.
I think the main reason people prefer driving is the lack of any other viable options. It's not easy for everyone to find a designated driver or be able to afford a taxi any time they want to go out, and most people aren't within walking distance from the bars they frequent. The risk of a DWI accident or arrest should already be a good deterrent, but increase safer options would add incentive as well. And the people who walk to their bars could benefit by having easier access other venues away from their immediate vicinity.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:42 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underestimated mod owns U View Post
I support taxes for condoms for Transvagtastic voyages of epic proportions
Troll/spammer much?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
That discriminates against daytime drunks.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,923 times
Why stop there OP? Lets tax everything that free American adults do that others think is a "sin." Have a kid out of wedlock? Get taxed to pay for free condoms for all. Have unmarried sex (that causes a lot of problems), you get taxed to fund Abstinence until married campaigns.. Drink soda and/or eat fast food, tax it and free healthy food for all! In this digital age, Americans aren't excising like they used to, so I say we tax everyone and open free gyms. I mean most Americans who aren't sitting at home collecting a government check are already paying 60% or so in taxes to the Government and to the state, so what's 10 more percent... Better yet, every single person in America should work for free and then let the government use the "$$$" THEY generated dictate to us what we should do, eat, watch, etc via FREE services with money they "generated" for our own good.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Let's see how many other things we can tax!! No, I would not be in favor of this. People know better than to drink and drive; people in ABQ have horrible reputations for breaking this law> They lose their license but continue to drive, they get arrested during the day as well, raising the taxes on alcohol isn't going to do anything. Finding an answer to the number of alcoholics in ABQ is the only way of controlling the problem. Many of us who have lived or live in the area realize how bad it is.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post

Could this work? Why or why not?
Because everyone doesn't live in a city. A lot of people don't even have day time public transportation and shouldn't foot the bill for people in the cities.

And I don't even drink.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Why should alcohol be taxed to fund transit systems? Tax (or increase rates) of existing transit systems to cover the costs of expansion and allow them to be self-sustaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies