Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Sign of the times I guess. Like I had no idea that the word "retarded" was politically incorrect. I just found that out not too long ago.
Call someone on aol that, and it'll get you tosd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Its insane. Now that "retarded" is considered politically incorrect, it will only be a matter of time before its no longer okay to call someone "mentally challenged".

The speech police are coming for you. Think freedom of speech is allowed? Forget it. Just wait til the Dems get their "hate speech" and "hate crime" laws passed. Its only a matter of time before you'll have to call and aske permission to say anything unless you want to be fined and/or arrested.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Whatever happened to the old saying I learned as a kid (a very, very long time ago )

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Whatever happened to the old saying I learned as a kid (a very, very long time ago )

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me
Or the other version of that saying:

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but as soon as I heal I'll kick your a$$!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
From the article: "Voinovich submitted a letter of resignation effective Dec. 24, saying she is leaving for personal reasons"

Gee, I wonder why? Could it be...the following, also taken from the article??

Neve said school officials didn't advise her of the incident until several days after they questioned her son. When Neve objected to the suspension during the parent conference, Voinovich told her that parents give up their rights to discipline when they send a child to school, the tape shows.

"If you don't want that, you can take him out of here," Voinovich said. "There is nowhere you can go to challenge this."

How did Voinivich get her teaching credentials - from a cracker jack box? How did she become the principal? No wonder she wanted a copy of the tape - she forgot what crap she blew up the parent's dirt star and wanted to find out before she "resigned for personal reasons".

As a parent, I would suggest a nice little voice recorder for any and all meetings with any school staff.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Its insane. Now that "retarded" is considered politically incorrect, it will only be a matter of time before its no longer okay to call someone "mentally challenged".
I've always alleged this point. ALL euphemisms, which seek to "soften" the harshness of daily speech, have a "life span". The "new" term replaces the old. All is well for a time. Eventually, though, the basic underlying REASON for the term doesn't go away, so the "new" term begins to take on the negative aspects of its harsh predecesor (or even to sound sarcastic). Eventually, the once-nice "new" term begins to almost take on the qualities of a "slur", and loses its purpose. The "new" term then is replaced by a "newer" term, anf d the cycle continues.

*"Negro"---became "Colored"---then "Black"--then "African American"---then, in an effort to "join forces" with other oppressed minorities, the awkward-sounding "persons of color"..

*"Crippled"--became--"handicapped"---then "disabled"--and finally, in an attempt to remove ALL negativity, "differently-abled".....

* "Slum", as the term lost its "whiteness" and became increasingly minority, was softened to "the ghetto", and eventually to the "inner city"...(sounds a little sarcastic now--may be time for another change)...

*"Bums" and "Winos" have become "the jobless", and eventually the emotionally-appealing "homeless".

*the harsh-sounding, racist term "(humid)-backs" became for a while "the undocumented" or "undocumented workers"---to finally "illegal immigrants", and many times, today, simply "immigrants" (serving to blur the line between legal and illegal). Sometimes where I live they're simply called "Californians".

None of these changes in terms reflect anything except an attempt to "soften" reality. Each term works for a while, eventually grows 'old', and finally must be replaced.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've always alleged this point. ALL euphemisms, which seek to "soften" the harshness of daily speech, have a "life span". The "new" term replaces the old. All is well for a time. Eventually, though, the basic underlying REASON for the term doesn't go away, so the "new" term begins to take on the negative aspects of its harsh predecesor (or even to sound sarcastic). Eventually, the once-nice "new" term begins to almost take on the qualities of a "slur", and loses its purpose. The "new" term then is replaced by a "newer" term, anf d the cycle continues.

*"Negro"---became "Colored"---then "Black"--then "African American"---then, in an effort to "join forces" with other oppressed minorities, the awkward-sounding "persons of color"..

*"Crippled"--became--"handicapped"---then "disabled"--and finally, in an attempt to remove ALL negativity, "differently-abled".....

* "Slum", as the term lost its "whiteness" and became increasingly minority, was softened to "the ghetto", and eventually to the "inner city"...(sounds a little sarcastic now--may be time for another change)...

*"Bums" and "Winos" have become "the jobless", and eventually the emotionally-appealing "homeless".

*the harsh-sounding, racist term "(humid)-backs" became for a while "the undocumented" or "undocumented workers"---to finally "illegal immigrants", and many times, today, simply "immigrants" (serving to blur the line between legal and illegal). Sometimes where I live they're simply called "Californians".

None of these changes in terms reflect anything except an attempt to "soften" reality. Each term works for a while, eventually grows 'old', and finally must be replaced.

Exactly. That is why it is impossible to keep the PC police happy. Once they convince a group they are being insulted by a term, the term becomes a slur and is taboo. If this keeps up for 100 years, there will be a book as thick as the dictionary with "slurs".

Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,383 times
the real issue here is not the child, but the principal and her response. Children say things inappropriate all the time, it's up to an adult to correct them or better yet, "teach". She (the principal) failed miserably

Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
The song I learned is Jesus loves the little children (red and yellow black and white they are precious in His sight)..

Guess that wouldn't go over too well at school, either.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The song I learned is Jesus loves the little children (red and yellow black and white they are precious in His sight)..

Guess that wouldn't go over too well at school, either.
You'd get tazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies