Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yes, I've definitely noticed a trend among conservatives who express bigoted views about gays, women, Hispanics, blacks and poor people, and defend themselves by saying the people who call them out on it are "intolerant."

I guess we should be more "tolerant" of white supremacy groups, for example? Tsk, tsk, what ever was our society thinking when it became "intolerant" of racism?
The question is bigger than liberal vs conservative. I made that clear in the OP. Both extremes are guilty of intolerance of the opinions and beliefs of others.

And of course we shouldn't tolerate actions which harm others. Though you do bring up a good topic - because we ARE discussing the parameters of tolerance.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Say my very liberal cousin had posted something on her timeline supporting the rights of the group that wants to erect the statue of Satan at the OKC courthouse, and I had called her out on it in public on the post, saying that obviously we were so far apart ideologically that I could not in good conscience consider her a friend? Wouldn't that seem extreme, intolerant? Then if I followed it up with a demand that she change her beliefs, become a Christian, whatever. Wow -weird, huh?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I think what is lacking these days is plain ol' common courtesy. It seems we as a country have forgotten this art in social interaction.

I'm not sure when that happened.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
And my question is, "Where do you draw the line?"

Are YOU "tolerant" of people who say ugly things about you? About your religion, or gender, sexual orientation, or race? Should we, as a society, "tolerate" the KKK? How about the Nazis?

As I said, I find that accusations of "intolerance" are usually smokescreens deployed when someone posts ugly, bigoted statements. YMMV, but I know what I see here on CD.
100% accurate. Some people just choose to be blinded to their own ugliness & instead turn it on the other person, always the person on the receiving end of their nastiness.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The question is bigger than liberal vs conservative. I made that clear in the OP. Both extremes are guilty of intolerance of the opinions and beliefs of others.

And of course we shouldn't tolerate actions which harm others. Though you do bring up a good topic - because we ARE discussing the parameters of tolerance.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Say my very liberal cousin had posted something on her timeline supporting the rights of the group that wants to erect the statue of Satan at the OKC courthouse, and I had called her out on it in public on the post, saying that obviously we were so far apart ideologically that I could not in good conscience consider her a friend? Wouldn't that seem extreme, intolerant?
Going into it publicly on Facebook would be extreme and rude … but you're entitled to your beliefs. I don't see it as intolerant.

Quote:
Then if I followed it up with a demand that she change her beliefs, become a Christian, whatever. Wow -weird, huh?
That's intolerant.

Of course, if you accompanied that request by calling her a heathen who will burn in hell because she's not Christian, and who shouldn't be allowed to breed (to use a couple of epithets I've seen here on CD used towards atheists), THAT would be bigotry.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Are YOU "tolerant" of people who say ugly things about you? About your religion, or gender, sexual orientation, or race? Should we, as a society, "tolerate" the KKK? How about the Nazis?

As I said, I find that accusations of "intolerance" are usually smokescreens deployed when someone posts ugly, bigoted statements. YMMV, but I know what I see here on CD.
I didn't say anything "ugly" about anyone. I didn't say anything negative about anyone's religion, or gender, or sexual orientation, or race. In other words, I am not demanding more tolerance than I am giving.

We have something in this country called "freedom of speech" and so yes, I think that, just as my cousin is free to speak her mind, Nazis and members of the KKK should be free to speak their minds as well. I think we do more harm than good when we begin infringing on free speech.

I'm talking about allowing others the freedom to THINK AND BELIEVE differently, though - not from a legal perspective but in our daily lives, with our friends, coworkers, relatives, etc.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
What drives me crazy is if you have an opinion on a subject then others assume you must be hard core extreme one way or another.
Yes, I conservative monetarily but very liberal in my social beliefs.
Yes, I don't like Obama but I am Pro Choice and believe Pot should be legal.
I'm a conservative with a gay son who had a commitment ceremony in my home.

One size does not fit all. Agreed, Stop the name calling and intolerance.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Respect and tolerance is a two way street. While I identify as a libertarian and as a person of faith I tend to mesh well with others, and will try to find common ground with everyone. Unfortunately, I have my beliefs, and so do they, so it is what it is, and if they don't like it too bad... and likewise for me as well. You can't please everyone.

My cousin (who re-located to Louisville for a job) and I tend to text on Saturday and Sunday during football season, during Buckeyes and Browns games to talk about the games. At any rate, he is quite liberal, and claims to be an athiest. We've chatted politics, and he immediately said man "you must be one of those tea party types." I said, "nope... I'm libertarian and I support candidates who tend to lean toward true freedom of the individual and being fiscally conservative." It's funny watching when I politely shut him down on something, his texts get more and more angry. Being that he is family, at some point I'll usually just wind it down. A few weeks later, we'll talk, and all is well.

At any rate, your cousin needs to realize that you are your own person, as is she. You're not going to agree on everything, or have the same beliefs... so agree to disagree, and move on. If she get's p****ed... then unfortunately there isn't much you can do. That is her problem.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Going into it publicly on Facebook would be extreme and rude … but you're entitled to your beliefs. I don't see it as intolerant.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. This cousin of mine "unfriended" me after berating me publicly on my daughter's FB page. She was berating us for being "intolerant" when literally the ONLY thing I did was "like" a well-stated and respectful comment by a conservative person (someone I didn't know). Oh, I take that back, I did make one comment on the post. My cousin had said, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander - if Christians can put the Ten Commandments up at the courthouse, the Satanists should be allowed to put a statue of Satan there." I had responded several posts down, "Is there any evidence that our system of government and our system of justice has any historical roots to any Satanic writings or texts?"

Now - let me point out that for YEARS I've tolerated her incessant political postings and anti-religious links, posts, comments, etc. I haven't berated her, called her out, unfriended her, etc. In other words, I have TOLERATED her differing opinions and beliefs. Apparently that tolerance is completely unappreciated.

Quote:
That's intolerant.

Of course, if you accompanied that request by calling her a heathen who will burn in hell because she's not Christian, and who shouldn't be allowed to breed (to use a couple of epithets I've seen here on CD used towards atheists), THAT would be bigotry.
I would never do such a thing. And I don't waste my time trying to figure out who is going to burn in hell and who isn't - I have a feeling that all of us are in for some surprises when it comes to eternity.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What drives me crazy is if you have an opinion on a subject then others assume you must be hard core extreme one way or another.
Yes, I conservative monetarily but very liberal in my social beliefs.
Yes, I don't like Obama but I am Pro Choice and believe Pot should be legal.
I'm a conservative with a gay son who had a commitment ceremony in my home.

One size does not fit all. Agreed, Stop the name calling and intolerance.
Amen and amen. Even if we don't agree on some of the above.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

I support their right to free speech and their right to act stupid. It's best not to pay those fools any mind, as they're nothing but attention whores, and personally most of them use a lot of group think and collectivism and can't think for themselves either! On the other hand, if their free speech leads to acts of violence, then HELL NO!!! That is where the line is drawn. Other than that, let them spew all of the crap they want. Most Americans regardless of ideology don't feel the way those groups do, and want no part of them. When nobody is listening, then their words have no power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies