Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm a liberal and I am friends with family members on Facebook. They have different opinions...very different. Some of my FB friends have insulted them before and I don't stand for that. I don't post opinions or articles on my wall so people can use it as a forum to score points. People need to be civil. I've deleted timeline postings that have gotten out of hand.
See, this is my mindset as well. As a libertarian, and a rather unconventional Christian, some of my personal beliefs and opinions would offend my more conservative or fundamentalist friends as well.

When I post something on my own wall, I think before I post it and though there's no guarantee it won't offend SOMEONE, I do try to keep my posts inoffensive. Also, if people start bickering on my post, I immediately take it down - ain't nobody got time fo dat.

And I also do not go on someone else's timeline or post and start arguing or debating. That's what this forum is for . It's their timeline, their page, their business.

But aside from Facebook, I'm like this in real life too. I don't parade my religious or political beliefs around on t shirts, bumper stickers, etc, even though I am a very patriotic person and very passionate about many personal beliefs regarding politics, religion, and philosophy.

"Preach the gospel always - when necessary, use words." In other words, I believe the best example we can set is to live our beliefs out one on one, every day, in person, not just in words.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
IMO, there is no one so intolerant as one who preaches tolerance.

Please note that I said "one who PREACHES tolerance", not one who PRACTICES tolerance.

YES, there truly IS a difference!

Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,267,106 times
Yes, I've definitely noticed a trend among conservatives who express bigoted views about gays, women, Hispanics, blacks and poor people, and defend themselves by saying the people who call them out on it are "intolerant."

I guess we should be more "tolerant" of white supremacy groups, for example? Tsk, tsk, what ever was our society thinking when it became "intolerant" of racism?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,951,402 times
this is like a posting in the Relationships forum...I never like one-sided accounts.

Of couse there are the typical responses..."Kick him to the curb". "You don't need a man like that". "Lose that zero and get you a Hero".

I always wondered what the dude went through.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh please, could I give a bigger eye roll? I skipped the majority of that OP, you could've gotten your point across in 3 sentences. I've had conservatives unfriend me over stupid s*it. Big deal. Get over it. But noooo, it's just the liberals!!!!!!!
Way to totally miss the point. I'm not struggling to "get over it." I don't think "my cousin unfriending me is a big deal."

Maybe you should have read the entire OP. Then you wouldn't have missed the part where I clearly stated it's not just liberals who do this.

Since you missed it, the question is - "Why isn't tolerance enough for some people?"

Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, that's another one of her big causes. Look, treat other people like you want to be treated, is the way I feel about it. I don't mind if gay people get legally married, and call it marriage, and I genuinely hope they are happy and have years of joy together. I am opposed to any discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation (among other things) and I support equal rights and opportunity for all, regardless of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, ancestry, creed, etc etc. But for me, marriage is defined as a union between one man and one woman. That's MY personal definition of it. And my personal definition, which I don't even share with others unless they press me for it (or on an anonymous forum like this), offends some people. See - tolerance isn't enough. Respect and support for equal rights isn't enough. I have to CHANGE MY PERSONAL BELIEFS in order for it to be enough.

Where is THEIR respect and tolerance for MY personal beliefs? That's what I'd like to know.
I swear, do we know the same person? This is a huge cause for my friend. I totally understand why people are for gay marriage and I totally understand why people are against it. I personally think people should be able to marry who they want and that the government should stay out of it. My friend gets so offended by the fact that some people believe homosexuality is a sin. She can't accept the fact that their beliefs are different form hers. She doesn't think they should even be allowed to express those beliefs. She calls it "hate speech". So extreme.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I have experienced this exact thing you are describing from a few of my liberal friends. They unfriended me in a heartbeat because I disagreed with them on something. I am not trying to bash their "liberal" mindset because I have a couple of very liberal friends that I talk to about all sorts of political and social things and we agree on things and disagree on others, no harm no foul, but all who have done what you are describing were ultra liberals. I mean ULTRA liberals. Tolerance my ass, it's just like you said. I am the one that was demanded to change. Again, I'm not picking on the more liberal people out there, but it has been my experience that the more liberal ones are the far less tolerant and go to extremes when you don't agree with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But just try going onto a conservative forum and expressing liberal views. (In many cases, you can't -- liberal comments are banned outright, so there's no chance for any discussion to even begin.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I share the same feeling.

I can cite numerous liberals here and their intolerance and bigotry. It's my liberal way or no way.

I have never had a rational and calm conversation with a liberal. Name calling starts right after I tell them I have a different opinion.
hardcore liberals AND hardcore conservatives BOTH get entrenched in their position and wont budge an inch, but rather want the other person to budge. again we all do it to a certain extent, but some on both sides can get rather militant about it.

Quote:
Oh, that's another one of her big causes. Look, treat other people like you want to be treated, is the way I feel about it. I don't mind if gay people get legally married, and call it marriage, and I genuinely hope they are happy and have years of joy together. I am opposed to any discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation (among other things) and I support equal rights and opportunity for all, regardless of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, ancestry, creed, etc etc. But for me, marriage is defined as a union between one man and one woman. That's MY personal definition of it. And my personal definition, which I don't even share with others unless they press me for it (or on an anonymous forum like this), offends some people. See - tolerance isn't enough. Respect and support for equal rights isn't enough. I have to CHANGE MY PERSONAL BELIEFS in order for it to be enough.

Where is THEIR respect and tolerance for MY personal beliefs? That's what I'd like to know.
good question. for instance i am against gay marriage, civil unions should suffice for all legal matters. but when i espouse my belief against gay marriage suddenly i am a bigot, a homophobe, against equal rights, yadda yadda yadda. but the people making these claims about me know NOTHING about me. they are making those assumptions based on one belief.

in the end we can only hold onto our personal beliefs, and let others hold onto theirs. we can debate the issues rationally.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,267,106 times
Quote:
Way to totally miss the point. I'm not struggling to "get over it." I don't think "my cousin unfriending me is a big deal."

Maybe you should have read the entire OP. Then you wouldn't have missed the part where I clearly stated it's not just liberals who do this.

Since you missed it, the question is - "Why isn't tolerance enough for some people?"
And my question is, "Where do you draw the line?"

Are YOU "tolerant" of people who say ugly things about you? About your religion, or gender, sexual orientation, or race? Should we, as a society, "tolerate" the KKK? How about the Nazis?

As I said, I find that accusations of "intolerance" are usually smokescreens deployed when someone posts ugly, bigoted statements. YMMV, but I know what I see here on CD.

13,887 posts, read 13,686,325 times
All that over being "unfriended"?

Goodness!

Drop Facebook. It's not worth the grief.

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times
Quote:
You know what - tolerance isn't enough apparently for some people. It's not enough to be gracious, polite, kind, or respectful of the opinions of others. Nope. With some people, the only thing they can stomach is that you CHANGE YOUR OPINION OR PHILOSOPHY OR RELIGIOUS VIEWS and nothing less will do.

The hypocrisy amazes me.

Anyone else experience anything similar or run across this mindset lately?
yeah, i run across it. especially on facebook.

peoples' emotions get the best of them. they jump to conclusions about facts, and are certain that they're right.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

their demands that you change your beliefs are probably some kind of misguided paternalism. they're probably convinced they're doing you a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies