Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times

Advertisements

A New Jersey Appellate court has ruled that leaving a child in a vehicle, even if it is only for a few minutes, always constitutes child abuse/neglect:

Leaving a child unattended in a car is abuse or neglect, N.J. court rules | NJ.com

I fully support the decision in this particular case. The child was 19 months old and left in a running car with the windows cracked while the mother went into a strip mall for 5 to 10 minutes. My question is: at what age is it appropriate to leave a child in the car? Eight? Ten? Twelve? Fourteen? I see more court cases ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Why don't you ask the Nanny State? You appear to agree that the government should tell you how to live your life. Why should you think at all? Just ask the government.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Yeah I remember once when my son was a little guy I went to the ATM machine, which was outside of a building with parking right there in front. I was actually like 5 feet from the front bumper while I stood at the machine. I left my son in the car while doing my transaction and the woman next to me (there were 3 atm machines) literally ::SNORTED:: and shook her head at me. I mean my god, he would have been in more danger running around by my feet, that close to a parking lot, than he was in the car. I didn't even go IN to a store or bank, I literally just turned away from the car to put my card in. I guess that was enough to rile her up.

He's 23 now and I'll still never forget that moment.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,523,294 times
I think that the courts should apply one of their infamous "reasonable" clauses to this. AKA: "what would a reasonable person construe as abuse?" or "what harm is occuring?" If the temp is 110 and you leave the kid in the car with the engine off and the windows cracked, I'd say that's abuse. Same situation but the outside temp is 50? NO! I can agree with a limited amount of "what if" such as "what if the parent had a heart attack and wasn't away for just 5 minutes?"

Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why don't you ask the Nanny State? You appear to agree that the government should tell you how to live your life. Why should you think at all? Just ask the government.
I don't agree that the government should tell you how to live your life, but that is different from the government establishing rules to protect young children.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't agree that the government should tell you how to live your life, but that is different from the government establishing rules to protect young children.
It does when those rules are over reaching. Leaving a child in a car is NOT abuse or neglect in all instances. Common sense should apply.

I ones left my 7 & 8 year old in the car for literally 2 minutes and had a woman lecture me. I find the amount of rights and freedoms that liberals are willing to give up amazing. We don't need government micromanaging our lives.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
It does when those rules are over reaching. Leaving a child in a car is NOT abuse or neglect in all instances. Common sense should apply.

I ones left my 7 & 8 year old in the car for literally 2 minutes and had a woman lecture me. I find the amount of rights and freedoms that liberals are willing to give up amazing. We don't need government micromanaging our lives.
The car can be the safest place for kids sometimes. People don't think things through and just jump to the worst possible situation they can think of where the kid ends up dead.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The car can be the safest place for kids sometimes. People don't think things through and just jump to the worst possible situation they can think of where the kid ends up dead.
Yea I'm like they can go out and ride bikes around the neighborhood or play in the front yard and no one would think twice, but leave then within view inside of a car and we're bad parents... Common sense should be applied on a case by case basis. If the children aren't unsupervised, within close proximity, and are actually in physical danger, then and only then should it be a crime...

Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A New Jersey Appellate court has ruled that leaving a child in a vehicle, even if it is only for a few minutes, always constitutes child abuse/neglect:

Leaving a child unattended in a car is abuse or neglect, N.J. court rules | NJ.com

I fully support the decision in this particular case. The child was 19 months old and left in a running car with the windows cracked while the mother went into a strip mall for 5 to 10 minutes. My question is: at what age is it appropriate to leave a child in the car? Eight? Ten? Twelve? Fourteen? I see more court cases ahead.

after reading the story, it looks like young adults under the age of 18 will not be driving vehicles solo, as that would be considered child abuse under new jersey state law.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
So.... it turns out that around 95% of people my age were probably abused as children, seeing as how leaving the kid in the car was very common practice back then. I hate the term "Nanny State" but that's where we are headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
after reading the story, it looks like young adults under the age of 18 will not be driving vehicles solo, as that would be considered child abuse under new jersey state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies