Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think you forgot to add "in my personal opinion" to that last statement - because it certainly isn't a fact! I happen to think chest tattoos can look beautiful on certain people, especially if it's a well-executed tattoo. One of the librarians I work with has one all the way across, an old-school (similar to Sailor Jerry style) banner with her Hebrew name in lovely script. I rather like it, and she certainly doesn't come across as "low class." She has a very classic pinup look to her even without the tattoos etc, so it really suits her overall vibe IMO.

So again, your opinion is noted but insignificant.
Yea gizmo980, I think tats are attractive on women and cool on men when artistically and nicely done. Part of the attraction of tats for me is the fact that closed minded judgmental people don't like them. They look down on us for what they see on the outside and I look down at them for what I see on their inside and I think they have no class at all. I'm not going to allow other people's opinion dictate what I do or what I like. I'm refuse to conform.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 AM

720 posts, read 705,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
They also seem to not care how much of their body they cover in ink, where as professional people may have tattoos but put them in places less obvious. Image matters, never more so than when doing job interviews.
As a person who has hired many employees over the years one of the first things I look for is obvious tattoos, piercings and body art which is a mark against them. I always looked for people who were comfortable and confident with themselves who did not have to have something tattooed or stuck on them to feel more confident or important, or a crutch so to speak. And yes, I know most wont agree with me but this lesson was taught to me by some of the best personnel people in the field and so far from my personal experience they are right on the target. "The core of a person is reflected on the outside through dress and adornment." Following fashion blindly, regardless of consequences is also a weakness in an individual. I had much rather have a well dressed unadorned confident young person working for me apposed to someone who could be a freak in a circus side show... end of story.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
As a person who has hired many employees over the years one of the first things I look for is obvious tattoos, piercings and body art which is a mark against them. I always looked for people who were comfortable and confident with themselves who did not have to have something tattooed or stuck on them to feel more confident or important, or a crutch so to speak. And yes, I know most wont agree with me but this lesson was taught to me by some of the best personnel people in the field and so far from my personal experience they are right on the target. "The core of a person is reflected on the outside through dress and adornment." Following fashion blindly, regardless of consequences is also a weakness in an individual. I had much rather have a well dressed unadorned confident young person working for me apposed to someone who could be a freak in a circus side show... end of story.
Then you're probably missing out on some great employees, since that has to be one of the lamest ways to judge a potential worker. Probably half of my staff is tattooed, many visible, and we make a fantastic team... one of our most valued employees, who unfortunately transferred branches recently, had a half-sleeve down his lower arm. We work in a rather stuffy (old and HUGE money) neighborhood, and the local patrons practically rioted when they found out he'd left. So if that is how you were taught to judge the character of an individual, I personally feel whoever gave you that advice was a terrible mentor. Oh, and I'm a supervising librarian who's been on hiring committees too.

Also, what's with all the "trendy" comments? Not everyone with tattoos is 22 years old, and most of us older folks certainly weren't on-trend when we started getting them. I got my first tattoo in 1992, when it was still fairly unusual for a young woman... they were considered more of a guy's thing, or maybe for lesbian biker types. Not some upper-class Jewish prep school girl! In the 20+ years since I've added many more, but still cherish that first piece of ink. And it looks almost as good as new, btw.

Final question, why do you speak as though there are only two extremes - virgin skin or "circus show freak?" There is something in the middle, ya know. I have a total of about 15 tattoos, which sounds like a lot, but you can't even see them in most of my clothing. Only the left arm & upper back tattoos peek out, and only in certain shirts... so it's not like you'd scream in horror at the sight of me, for goodness sakes.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-18-2014 at 04:07 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
"The core of a person is reflected on the outside through dress and adornment."
I guess this makes Jesus a long-haired hippie freak.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yea gizmo980, I think tats are attractive on women and cool on men when artistically and nicely done. Part of the attraction of tats for me is the fact that closed minded judgmental people don't like them. They look down on us for what they see on the outside and I look down at them for what I see on their inside and I think they have no class at all. I'm not going to allow other people's opinion dictate what I do or what I like. I'm refuse to conform.
I often call them my "BS meter," since it's a good way to filter out the people I wouldn't like anyway. The people I do care to know wouldn't judge so quickly on outer appearance, as THAT says a lot about a person's (shallow & simpleminded) character.

But at the core of things, my tattoos have nothing to do with conforming or not conforming. Honestly, I didn't put that much thought into it! The first one was fairly spontaneous, and I was all of 16 years old... considering I am now 37, and still into the art, it's clearly not just some rebellious "f society" phase. I'm just a very artistic and visual type, who enjoys expressing myself in a variety of creative ways. Supposedly it's a libra thing.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Tats are a generational thing...it's a fad. This generation is thinking of ways to put more ink on more places on their body than ever before but, eventually a generation comes that won't get any....in an effort to separate themselves from the previous generations.

My self, I can't think of anything that is so important to me that I permanently drawn onto my body. Then there are others that can't wait to get another tattoo even though they're not sure what it will...they'll pick something out right before they it....it means that much to them.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Aren't tats an unnecessary expense?

First impressions!

Young and think it is cool. What happens is it effects who hires them in the future. Rarely out front leading and representing the company, unless it is some motorcycle shop.

My policy is no piercings and no visible tats. So when it is 112º in the summer, you're wearing long sleeves.

It is the tats that keep them poor.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Aren't tats an unnecessary expense?
And cell phones

And paid cable channels like HBO, Cinemax etc......

Big flat screen TVs

And kids..........

Why?????

And sometimes even a pet!!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes they are and they are costly. The tattoo however has nothing to do with being poor and poor isn't about the tattoo. I have a Buddhist tattoo done by a monk in Thailand and I am hardly poor. I will say that if someone is poor they forfeit the morale high ground to complain about not enough Gov money if they are spending it on tattoos or the many piercing a certain group seem to be fixated on.
If you work for your money and earn it you are perfectly free to spend it as you wish and shouldn't be judged for it.
Dude....what you spend your money on is an issue!! The tat is costly!! You just admitted that. That money should be in savings account!! Building wealth instead of spending it on stupid stuff!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Dude....what you spend your money on is an issue!! The tat is costly!! You just admitted that. That money should be in savings account!! Building wealth instead of spending it on stupid stuff!
And that is one thing the poor do not do..save and build wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies