Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,270 times

Advertisements

I think this is one of the fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans feel sorry for rich people. Republicans think that the rich deserve everything they have, because they worked harder than other people to get it. Democrats feel sorry for poor people. Democrats think that poor people work just as hard, and in many cases harder, than rich people, but that rich people got lucky.

Personally i tend to side with the Dems on this issue... i'm sure the CEO making $500,000 a year works long hours, but so does the single mother doing a minimum wage job trying to feed her kids. I think a lot of Americans work very hard and deserve to be wealthy, but only a handful get lucky enough to actually have it. I have a lot of trouble feeling sorry for the rich when Obama asks them to pay a bit more in taxes to help others.

Feel free to agree or dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
It's the path we take in life and our choices in life in most cases and both can work long hours

Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
When I was in college I worked as a manager in a large hotel. I wasn't making great money, but I was making more than beer money. While I spent time behind the front desk chatting with guests, housekeepers were cleaning 15 rooms a day. I never broke a sweat...They were making minimum wage.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM

419 posts, read 435,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I think this is one of the fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans feel sorry for rich people. Republicans think that the rich deserve everything they have, because they worked harder than other people to get it. Democrats feel sorry for poor people. Democrats think that poor people work just as hard, and in many cases harder, than rich people, but that rich people got lucky.

Personally i tend to side with the Dems on this issue... i'm sure the CEO making $500,000 a year works long hours, but so does the single mother doing a minimum wage job trying to feed her kids. I think a lot of Americans work very hard and deserve to be wealthy, but only a handful get lucky enough to actually have it. I have a lot of trouble feeling sorry for the rich when Obama asks them to pay a bit more in taxes to help others.

Do you think the CEO was just sitting at home on the couch playing on his ps3 one day when the company called him and offered him the gig? Or do you think that maybe he worked hard, got an education and did what was needed? Maybe he provided a value to the company that was worth paying for.

I used to work in a call center making $10/hour. I decided I couldn't support my family on that and went back to school to get an education. I worked full time and went to school full time. Anyone can do that if they want to badly enough. I had classmates that were getting their school paid for by government grants.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Another thing most CEOs went to college worked their asses off to get to where they are and made sacrifices along the way and reap a bit of the rewards as CEO. And another thing why should they be penalized because they chose to work hard and achieve what they have when others do not want to do what it takes?
And yes I volunteer and donate to others have always done that even when I was a struggling single mom.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
Effort and results are 2 different things.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
It is hard to make these sorts of global statements. Sure there are the trust fund babies who don't work at all. There are also people with a sufficient number of children on welfare so they don't work either.

There is also the issue of hard work meaning raw hours or the labor itself. The lower paying jobs that I have had in my life required much more physical effort than the higher paying jobs that I had in my life. However, the higher paying jobs that I have held have required me to be available well beyond my base hours.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
Do you think the CEO was just sitting at home on the couch playing on his ps3 one day when the company called him and offered him the gig? Or do you think that maybe he worked hard, got an education and did what was needed? Maybe he provided a value to the company that was worth paying for.

I used to work in a call center making $10/hour. I decided I couldn't support my family on that and went back to school to get an education. I worked full time and went to school full time. Anyone can do that if they want to badly enough. I had classmates that were getting their school paid for by government grants.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

Neither party cares about the People. Both parties are in politics to enrich themselves and their friends who helped elect them. I will never vote for a candidate in either party.

I don't have any issues with rich people (making about 1 million or so a year), I do have issues with the uber-wealthy (making billions a year). I just don't believe they earned their wealth without cheating, defrauding, or out right stealing. If they inherited their wealth, the previous generation(s) pulled the same crap. As for the poor, working class and middle class Americans, life will continue to get harder for them. They will do the same amount of work or more and get paid less and less.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
I think the rich and lower/upper middle class. The poor work enough to get by, some don't work at all and some have never held a job. Doesn't take much to collect welfare and food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies