Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times

Advertisements

yeah well if you are forced to live in an urban area like philadelphia or Camden you have no choice but to use the public school system which are total jokes in those two cities. Why should children be forced to attend failing schools?
Why is the left so hell bent on making sure all kids are forced into the public school system regardless if they are performing? Is it fair to children that teachers unions and corrupt officials play politics with their futures?

Why shouldn't parents make the decision as to what schools ( religious or not ) they are best for the children?
If I do not like the way the local schools are performing I should have a choice. This is why people are now homeschooling their children.

One size does not fit all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are many public school systems doing very well. Just the same as one bad story about a charter schools makes no overall point, poorly performing big city public schools says nothing about the hundreds doing well elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yeah well if you are forced to live in an urban area like philadelphia or Camden you have no choice but to use the public school system which are total jokes in those two cities. Why should children be forced to attend failing schools?
They shouldn't.

Quote:
Why is the left so hell bent on making sure all kids are forced into the public school system regardless if they are performing? Is it fair to children that teachers unions and corrupt officials play politics with their futures?
You can find problems in everything. Some more than others. I am not a fan of the teachers unions either but we will note that the public schools doing well are unionized also.

Quote:
Why shouldn't parents make the decision as to what schools ( religious or not ) they are best for the children?
If I do not like the way the local schools are performing I should have a choice. This is why people are now homeschooling their children.

One size does not fit all.
I'm all for choices. I just believe that arguments should be based more on facts than one's personal opinions.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Vouchers will work the cost savings of subcontrating yet another government service will save trillions

Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They shouldn't.

You can find problems in everything. Some more than others. I am not a fan of the teachers unions either but we will note that the public schools doing well are unionized also.

I'm all for choices. I just believe that arguments should be based more on facts than one's personal opinions.

but they are being forced because they have no other alternative.
what personal opinions? because YOU do not see something makes it an opinion?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
but they are being forced because they have no other alternative.
what personal opinions? because YOU do not see something makes it an opinion?
I'm not sure what a rebuttal of "they have no other alternatives" has to do with anything I've said. Nowhere have I argued that those in failing systems shouldn't have alternatives. This is what I was talking about with my last statement.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Who pays for transportation when the child opts out of the neighborhood school? Does the voucher system subsidize public transportation passes? Are the families left to work it out for themselves? Any real-life examples of a functional system for getting the kids back and forth to their chosen schools?

In my area, parents whose children open enroll are responsible for providing transportation. It's a fairly well-off region where most families have the means to do it, but I'd really like to know how a large voucher program would handle the issue.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-18-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 05:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Who pays for transportation when the child opts out of the neighborhood school? Does the voucher system subsidize public transportation passes? Are the families left to work it out for themselves? Any real-life examples of a functional system for getting the kids back and forth to their chosen schools?

In my area, parents whose children open enroll are responsible for providing transportation. It's a fairly well-off region where most families have the means to do it, but I'd really like to know how a large voucher program would handle the issue.
The school where the child lives pays for transportation, i believe due to a Supreme Court ruling.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
PARENTS, not you, should be able to choose the education their children receive.
It's their tax dollars too you know.
They can choose what ever they want but they need to stop arrogantly demanding everyone else pay for THEIR personal religious choices. They can do it without MY tax dollars and no one should ever be forced to pay for someone else's religion which they don't agree with.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
This pretty much nails it. There are plenty of arguments to be made for/against vouchers and public schools, pointing to an isolated incident as an indictment of the whole system is just plain foolishness.
Vouchers Don’t Work: Evidence from Milwaukee

Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Obama administration, and the evidence, disgrees

Jason Riley: The Evidence Is In
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies