Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,582,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I can't turn my earned income into capital gains to make their income be taxed at a lower rate and it makes it easier for them to claim that they took a loss and not be taxed at all.
Why not? Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs all did it! They all started with nothing. What about that guy running Facebook or the one for Twitter, Netflix, Amazon, eBay, Groupon...?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm still waiting for you to show that minimum wage increases result in less jobs.

You keep saying jobs will move overseas if we increase the rate but you have yet to show proof.
i've showed it numerous times.. you just ignore it..

Either people have to get laid off, or prices have to go up..

Where the hell do you think the money will come from?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times
Quote:
A cashier job is one where you can hire someone unqualified to do and attempt to train them, but you would be better off hiring someone with experience to reduce training time, but that is up to you.
Training time to run a cash register? Seriously? If you can't grasp it in twenty minutes or less, you should find yourself a shovel and dig ditches for a living - if you can figure out the shovel, that is.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM

577 posts, read 436,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you think that maybe the part in blue might have something to do with the part in red?

You don't get the pay of a go-getter until you demonstrate that you actually are one. Everyone starts at the bottom - despite what decades of helicopter parenting and trophies for losers have convinced people of.

NO.. it didn't.. my point was I did the minimum that was required of me.. because they didn't pay me enough to do more.. THERE WAS NO MOTIVATION TO CARE..

I didn't do a horrible job.. I just didn't do above and beyond. Had they paid me more, I would have cared and been motivated. As it was, the job was only temporary for me.. a neccesity at the moment until I found something better - and I did find something better.. that paid me enough to care.

Also...another thing to consider. Those in low wage jobs, especially those without degrees, now have absolutely NO chance of moving up without a degree. Gone are the days of climbing up the ladder through on the job training and hard work. IT's very rare.

One of the reasons I went to get my degree after my divorce is because before I left the work force (I became a realtor for awhile,then had my kids) the adminstrative jobs (that yes, required skills and knowledge) that I had worked prior now required a bachelors degree in order to apply! Yup.. most every type of job I had done previous when I was looking for work now had that requirement. Sad part was, they weren't paying much more than they were before, but not required you to have an expensive BA at the end of your name. Which is another product of keeping min wage so low.. if they don't have to pay the lowest guy on the pole more, there is no need to pay the next guy up higher and so on..

Instead of workign for someone else, I created my own business and do work on the side to help support the growht of that business.. and yes, I am getting my degree. AS a matter of fact, this is my last set of 2 classes nad I'll have my bachelors. ..just in case I have to go out and look for employment. Accept with stagnated wages, I don't really see much hope of earning enough to cover the high cost of the degree ....

Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
NO.. it didn't.. my point was I did the minimum that was required of me.. because they didn't pay me enough to do more.. THERE WAS NO MOTIVATION TO CARE..

I didn't do a horrible job.. I just didn't do above and beyond. Had they paid me more, I would have cared and been motivated. As it was, the job was only temporary for me.. a neccesity at the moment until I found something better - and I did find something better.. that paid me enough to care.

Also...another thing to consider. Those in low wage jobs, especially those without degrees, now have absolutely NO chance of moving up without a degree. Gone are the days of climbing up the ladder through on the job training and hard work. IT's very rare.

One of the reasons I went to get my degree after my divorce is because before I left the work force (I became a realtor for awhile,then had my kids) the adminstrative jobs (that yes, required skills and knowledge) that I had worked prior now required a bachelors degree in order to apply! Yup.. most every type of job I had done previous when I was looking for work now had that requirement. Sad part was, they weren't paying much more than they were before, but not required you to have an expensive BA at the end of your name. Which is another product of keeping min wage so low.. if they don't have to pay the lowest guy on the pole more, there is no need to pay the next guy up higher and so on..

Instead of workign for someone else, I created my own business and do work on the side to help support the growht of that business.. and yes, I am getting my degree. AS a matter of fact, this is my last set of 2 classes nad I'll have my bachelors. ..just in case I have to go out and look for employment. Accept with stagnated wages, I don't really see much hope of earning enough to cover the high cost of the degree ....
And raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, thus making it the minimum, wotn motivate anyone to care either because it sets the new baseline for what the minimum is.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is there some sort of math or calculation that you can show me, even a hypothetical example; otherwise you just pulled that from who knows where.
How to calculate inflation rate

Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So if the min wage burger flippers get their way and get $15/hour ($8 bump) are you going to pay your workers $23/hour because the work you provide is harder than flipping burgers ?
Minimum wage will eventually get up to that price as it continues to lag behind the rate of inflation. The chances of seeing any $15/hr federal minimum wage any time soon is nonexistent.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

13,977 posts, read 5,636,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post

So let's see....

You feel someone should pay you more when you've shown them no reason to, but this will magically create motivation? You cannot spot the flaw in this? A job is something the employer owns. It belongs to them. They set the starting wage, and the assumption that most everyone in the world since like the dawn of time has operated under is that if you want more from your employer, give them a tangible reason to give more. Now, you're saying that the real secret here is to just pay more, and the employer will magically get more work!

You also found a better job that paid more and did so of your own volition? Wait a sec, I thought that was not possible, per this thread? I thought minimum wage was permanent, unchanging, and anyone at or near it was imprisoned. You mean you escaped, and did so without Uncle Sam taking point? Say it isn't so?

Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times
Quote:
Why not a billion dollars an hour? There is a huge difference between $7.25/hr and $50/hr, it is unfortunate that you can understand that difference.
Why not a billion?

Break it down for us. Explain why raising the minimum wage to $50/hr is a bad thing, and then explain why that same reasoning wouldn't also apply to raising it to any other figure. I'll be watching for emotional pleas as well as any "need" based arguments, so don't bother with them. Neither of those are sufficient justification for setting a minimum wage.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why not? Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs all did it! They all started with nothing. What about that guy running Facebook or the one for Twitter, Netflix, Amazon, eBay, Groupon...?
Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs all made it before the deck truly became stacked making it harder for those without to do the same things as them. Although, you are just cherry picking, in the sense that getting ahead in life is what most people want, that is where the real challenge lies.

Tech company start-up did create an exception, which is also what fueled the dot com booms. A number of founders of the other companies you mentioned come from money one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies