Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then I can't help you understand how the top earners are able to work the tax code to do things that aren't available to the rest of us. At this point, we have nothing to talk about.
Over 50% of the nation doesnt pay a dime in federal income taxes. Clearly they know more than you do.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

I mean, it was the wealthy who wrote the tax code to begin with

Than they wrote EITC? Shazam!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
No it doesn't.. because $15.00 /hour raises their station ... it's almost double minimum wage now.. double the income = a better financial position which then makes the work they are doing worth it..

Imagine if you went into your job everyday, but no matter how you worked, you still couldn't make rent because they didn't pay you enough.. and your rent is hte cheapest possible in the area?

And, we're not talking about raising the minimum to $15 here.. we're talking only like $3.00 more! $15 is what I pay and for good reasons; all the reasons I pointed out.. it keeps my employees happy and motivated to do a good job.
So the people that were making $12 an hour, and now making the same $15 an hour as everyone who was making $8, will work just as hard?

Your own previous example proves that to be false.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
It's not that simple.... Everytime the minimum wage raised, the cost of living also goes up.

Every time? Looks like the cost of living has gone up even though federal minimum wage has been stagnant for 5 years now. So much for your statement.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No I don't. When I use it, it's called filing my tax return; while a corporation use it, it is called using a loophole.
How about giving us your definition of a loophole?

Loopholes are in the eye of the beholder, for instance if two people both make the same amount of money but one rents an apartment while the other owns a home then the renter might view the mortgage interest deduction that the homeowner gets as a "loophole" because he doesn't qualify for such a deduction.

The Left uses the concept of "loopholes" like a dirty word .......unless they qualify for it of course

Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
How about giving us your definition of a loophole?

Loopholes are in the eye of the beholder, for instance if two people both make the same amount of money but one rents an apartment while the other owns a home then the renter might view the mortgage interest deduction that the homeowner gets as a "loophole" because he doesn't qualify for such a deduction.

The Left uses the concept of "loopholes" like a dirty word .......unless they qualify for it of course
You missed my sarcasm.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well explain to me how a hoagie shop that sell a hundred sandwiches a day can support a 15 dollar an hour employee. Explain to me how anyone can pay double the industry standard wages and remain competitive.
You make claims about a business you say you started and you can 15 an hour. Maybe you do. What is the industry standard for your business?
I did drywall for a while. The industry standard at that time was $4.00 a board to hand 4x12 sheets of drywall. If I doubled it or even added a dollar I would have attracted a lot of hangers. I also would have went out of business because no one would have hired me to hang their sheet rock when it could be done for far less.
That is reality. I don't know your business and quite frankly have no desire to either. The point is you can only pay what the business will support. Because your business can support 15 an hour doesn't mean that all can as you insinuated with your post.
What you can pay for your industry and what a sandwich shop can most likely is not comparable. Who wants to buy a sandwich for 12.00 when I can get a comparable sandwich for 6.00? why pay even $8.00 when I can get a comparable sandwich for $6.00? Some might but not most.

Let me explain another scenario. If the Waltons didn't pay themselves more than they could ever spend in their lifetime and used that money to pay a fair wage, perhaps the tax payers will no longer need to support their employees.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually you peons do have that option, you just choose not to..

So how does raising the minimum wage, help bring those jobs back?

The fact that its been happening as wages increase, should tell you TO STOP BEING DUMB...

but nooo, liberal answer, lets do it again..
Frankly, if a company or business does not want to pay a livable wage in this county, let them leave.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Let me explain another scenario. If the Waltons didn't pay themselves more than they could ever spend in their lifetime and used that money to pay a fair wage, perhaps the tax payers will no longer need to support their employees.
How silly is your straw man?

Quote:
Small businesses make up:
99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms, 64 percent of net new private-sector
jobs,
49.2 percent of private-sector
employment,
42.9 percent of private-sector payroll, 46 percent of private-sector output, 43 percent of high-tech employment, 98 percent of firms exporting goods,
and
33 percent of exporting value
Source: SBA.gov

Your straw man is on fire!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Frankly, if a company or business does not want to pay a livable wage in this county, let them leave.
Good luck with that. You're basing your policy on ideology and not facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies