Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Hope you know you just step into a trap you set up for yourself.

Are they overpaid or not? If they are, then you are legislating a piece of law to force employers to over pay people. If they are not, then there's no problem.
I am an independent contractor, so I am paid what I am paid.

I still have yet to see a single one of you guys prove how a cashier is overpaid.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM

804 posts, read 619,015 times
That has been my point all along, if we pay people so little that they still need and qualify for public assistance than the government is indirectly subsidizing these employers. Let businesses pick up the real tab for human resources the utilize.
High minimum wage drives all wages up and that helps the economy as earners are as well spenders: more money earned = more money spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Those older adults working for at or close to minimum wage leaves you with two options:
1.) Keep the status quo and supplement their low wages with welfare programs.
2.) Just increase their pay.

Federal welfare programs waste money like crazy, so that's the more expensive option. Logical option = raise minimum wage.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am an independent contractor, so I am paid what I am paid.

I still have yet to see a single one of you guys prove how a cashier is overpaid.
I didn't ask about you specifically.

Since you think if we remove the minimum wage, wage would go down below the minimum wage, which means you think some of the employees are overpaid even at the minimum wage level, no?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
That has been my point all along, if we pay people so little that they still need and qualify for public assistance than the government is indirectly subsidizing these employers. Let businesses pick up the real tab for human resources the utilize.
High minimum wage drives all wages up and that helps the economy as earners are as well spenders: more money earned = more money spent.
Read Post #1052 please.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM

804 posts, read 619,015 times
Quote:
Read Post #1052 please.
I have, first of all negatives are exaggerated, second positives are ignored there.

Some of the most successful, safe, affluent states in the nation happened to have the highest minimum wages.
It's not a coincidence.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
CT and NJ are the most affluent states in the nation, with generous social programs, low crime and excellent public schools. Southern wonders with low minimum wages have terrible social services, high crime and failing school systems.
There is a strong correlation between high minimum wage and quality of life in the state. Thanks
On the flipside, the vast gap between their mean and median wage levels is evidence that for those at the bottom of the salary chain, they offer little difference in QOL. I have a sibling in retail nine years in Ct at a major national drugstore, who as a cashier, has yet to see $10 per hour, despite 8 years at the same store. A store in the chain 7 miles away was robbed at gunpoint, btw. (PS, My town's crime rate per capita is below most of Fairfield County, Ct, and it is about 1/3rd the natinal average)!

Mcjobs pay McWages..everywhere, and there is nothing wrong with that..

Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
I have, first of all negatives are exaggerated, second positives are ignored there.

Some of the most successful, safe, affluent states in the nation happened to have the highest minimum wages.
It's not a coincidence.
The wages went up because the economy in those states supported doing so by offering more jobs etc...

not the other way around.

Do you really think more jobs were created because wages went up?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:

It's not a coincidence.
What are your list of negatives and positives?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
I didn't ask about you specifically.

Since you think if we remove the minimum wage, wage would go down below the minimum wage, which means you think some of the employees are overpaid even at the minimum wage level, no?
No, I think many employers would take advantage of the situation to pay people below the value that they are worth to increase their own profits. I have no interest in making rich people richer at the expense of the working poor.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I think many employers would take advantage of the situation to pay people below the value that they are worth to increase their own profits. I have no interest in making rich people richer at the expense of the working poor.
I have really hard time following your thought process.

Firstly, if you don't want to make other people richer, then don't work them. Even with your "independent contractor" status, you are making rich people richer. If you truly stand by your words, do your work for free, jack up your price or drop all your clients; otherwise you are making other people richer!!!

Secondly, every employer is "taking advantage of" every employee. That's how profit is being generated. If you don't like that, then move to North Korea when communism or true liberalism is still being practiced. Why live here and let employers exploit you?

Thirdly, even if employers want to take advantage by dropping wage, who says people would take their offers? If there are takers, who the hell are you to tell them, the employees, they shouldn't take the jobs they want???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies