Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Didn't you forget to pay tax in your example?
Well you are welcome to add that if you like.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
How does this favor the rich?
I gave you the information, feel free to read over the articles, they each answer your question. If you don't see the answer, then there is no way I will ever be able to make you see the answer.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I gave you the information, feel free to read over the articles, they each answer your question. If you don't see the answer, then there is no way I will ever be able to make you see the answer.
You can't make me see the answer because there is no such answer.

There are two kinds of incomes, and they should not be treated the same : capital gain, meaning profit from investment, and earned income such as salary etc. from employment.

Capital gain is taxed at lower rate because capital gain is highly speculative, meaning you can lose big time and there are a lot of risks. We don't want to tax it too much because we want to encourage people to invest.

Now this does not "favor" anybody. If you think it favors the rich, what stops you from borrowing some money and doing your own investment? That's what the rich do - they rarely use their own money to invest. You can also do your investment with your savings - the rich people do that too. A few hundred dollars will get you started. That was how Warren Buffett got started.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You can't make me see the answer because there is no such answer.

There are two kinds of incomes, and they should not be treated the same : capital gain, meaning profit from investment, and earned income such as salary etc. from employment.

Capital gain is taxed at lower rate because capital gain is highly speculative, meaning you can lose big time and there are a lot of risks. We don't want to tax it too much because we want to encourage people to invest.

Now this does not "favor" anybody. If you think it favors the rich, what stops you from borrowing some money and doing your own investment? That's what the rich do - they rarely use their own money to invest. You can also do your investment with your savings - the rich people do that too. A few hundred dollars will get you started. That was how Warren Buffett got started.
Then I can't help you understand how the top earners are able to work the tax code to do things that aren't available to the rest of us. At this point, we have nothing to talk about.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM

577 posts, read 435,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, thus making it the minimum, wotn motivate anyone to care either because it sets the new baseline for what the minimum is.

No it doesn't.. because $15.00 /hour raises their station ... it's almost double minimum wage now.. double the income = a better financial position which then makes the work they are doing worth it..

Imagine if you went into your job everyday, but no matter how you worked, you still couldn't make rent because they didn't pay you enough.. and your rent is hte cheapest possible in the area?

And, we're not talking about raising the minimum to $15 here.. we're talking only like $3.00 more! $15 is what I pay and for good reasons; all the reasons I pointed out.. it keeps my employees happy and motivated to do a good job.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then I can't help you understand how the top earners are able to work the tax code to do things that aren't available to the rest of us. At this point, we have nothing to talk about.
In what sense it is not available to you? Your inability to generate large amount of capital gain is of no fault of others. You can certainly borrow $100,000 or even $50,000 invest it, make $200,000 profit and take advantage of the "loopholes."

Good grief, what stops you? That's how Apple started and that's how Netflix started or even Facebook.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Ha , why cant liberals give straight answers ?

Example A ). If min wage is 7.25 and bumped up to 8.00 who is paying the extra 75 cents ?

Now once you answer that , how is this person going to come up with the extra money that is being taken out of his/her income to counter the min wage raise so she/he doesn't keep losing profits now ?

Because im sure if people started taking money out of your pay check you sure wouldnt like it now would you. So please , answer these 2 questions as direct and forward as possible.
No takers?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
In what sense it is not available to you? Your inability to generate large amount of capital gain is of no fault of others. You can certainly borrow $100,000 or even $50,000 invest it, make $200,000 profit and take advantage of the "loopholes."

Good grief, what stops you? That's how Apple started and that's how Netflix started or even Facebook.
That is fine, you obviously don't get it which makes things much easier for you. Good for those that are super wealthy to take advantage of those loopholes while taking more money out of the tax system. I mean, it was the wealthy who wrote the tax code to begin with, so why shouldn't it primarily benefit them. You obviously see nothing wrong with this, so I can't make you see something you will never be able to see. That would be called me wasting my time.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times
Anybody who supports an increase in the minimum wage needs to take a course in economics.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
No it doesn't.. because $15.00 /hour raises their station ... it's almost double minimum wage now.. double the income = a better financial position which then makes the work they are doing worth it..

Imagine if you went into your job everyday, but no matter how you worked, you still couldn't make rent because they didn't pay you enough.. and your rent is hte cheapest possible in the area?

And, we're not talking about raising the minimum to $15 here.. we're talking only like $3.00 more! $15 is what I pay and for good reasons; all the reasons I pointed out.. it keeps my employees happy and motivated to do a good job.
It's not that simple.... Everytime the minimum wage raised, the cost of living also goes up. If the minimum wage was 15 an hour as you want, money would be worthless, it would have almost no value. You would be paying triple for everythingsat the store, and your rent would sky rocket. If you can't afford to live on minimum wage now you sure as hell couldn't afford to live on it if it was 15 an hour.

Not only that, but the minimum wage kills jobs. When it's increased businesses have to compensate either by laying off employees or downsizing their company (usually it's both). They are also forced to raise their prices as they cannot afford to keep employees on as they no longer have the necessary profit to pay them. So when they raise their prices everything else goes up, rent, electricity, gas etc.... Because the standard of the dollar drops significantly. And the people who suffer the most are the poor because they are now getting an even shorter end of the stick that they had before.

This is just one of many reasons why liberal economic policies do not work, and it's unfortunate that so many poor people are mislead into beliving that an increase in the minimum wage is good for them. They do not see the bigger picture because they are uneducated on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies