Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
http://bobsegarini.files.wordpress.c...party-ever.jpg

I used to see this in Japan on the train/train station. Hundreds of people staring down at their cell phone.
I thought it was weird. Then, I started seeing it in the USA. Cell phones are great, but I really think they harm interactive communication. Oh, well.

Dunno if you ever seen this. Makes you think.

I Forgot My Phone - YouTube

Back in the day, there seemed to be more interaction with people. Now, it's memes and texts and etc. Seems like the world has lost something. Maybe, it's just me.

Maybe not.
Why Cell Phones Are Bad for Parenting | TIME.com

We got a new hire at work. I was supposed to be training him. Every few, 5? 10?, minutes, he's checking his phone. My shift leader asked me how he was doing. I said, "If I can pry him away from his phone, I think he'll be OK." He said, " I noticed that, I'll talk to him about it." I'm 42 years old. Cell phones to me are a tool. Like a hammer. To some people, it's like, their whole life is attached to a gadget.

Minn. man dies after falling into Chicago River to retrieve cell phone

Heh.
The guy in your video is a tard for sure. If I had a girl that looked like that I'd never be able to take my eyes off her, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'd argue that making and receiving phone calls is no longer a cell phones primary function. Cell phones are pretty much computers in your pocket nowadays, Actually making a call and speaking into them seems.... a bit primitive now. Personally, I hate talking on a cell phone. I'd much rather text.

See I guess I'm old school when it comes to communicating.. I will text, and don't get me wrong I do use my email a lot at work, but in the end, I'd rather talk. Not to mention texting on my phone isn't that efficient.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The guy in your video is a tard for sure. If I had a girl that looked like that I'd never be able to take my eyes off her, lol.

I'm having a hard time now.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
See I guess I'm old school when it comes to communicating.. I will text, and don't get me wrong I do use my email a lot at work, but in the end, I'd rather talk. Not to mention texting on my phone isn't that efficient.
Yeah, texting just gives you more of an opportunity to think about what you want to say and how you want to say it or even IF you want to say anything back at all. Admittedly it isn't a very efficient use of time. What takes me about 2 or 3 minutes to type out in a text would only take about 5 seconds to say. Texting has it's advantages and it's disadvantages I guess.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
http://bobsegarini.files.wordpress.c...party-ever.jpg

I used to see this in Japan on the train/train station. Hundreds of people staring down at their cell phone.
I thought it was weird. Then, I started seeing it in the USA. Cell phones are great, but I really think they harm interactive communication. Oh, well.

Dunno if you ever seen this. Makes you think.

I Forgot My Phone - YouTube

Back in the day, there seemed to be more interaction with people. Now, it's memes and texts and etc. Seems like the world has lost something. Maybe, it's just me.

Maybe not.
Why Cell Phones Are Bad for Parenting | TIME.com

We got a new hire at work. I was supposed to be training him. Every few, 5? 10?, minutes, he's checking his phone. My shift leader asked me how he was doing. I said, "If I can pry him away from his phone, I think he'll be OK." He said, " I noticed that, I'll talk to him about it." I'm 42 years old. Cell phones to me are a tool. Like a hammer. To some people, it's like, their whole life is attached to a gadget.

Minn. man dies after falling into Chicago River to retrieve cell phone

Heh.
If it wasn't for the tats, I would jump her bones while her idiot boyfriend is yapping on the phone.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:22 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
My cell phone is always in my shirt pocket. It is a TELEPHONE, nothing more.
I do not text.
Everybody I know is aware that I often don't remember how to access my voice mail, so they don't leave any.
I do not send emails with the cell, that's what the computer is for.
Again, it is a telephone.
Oh, wait, it does have a rather handy LED flashlight glued to the back of it, so it is a telephone and a flashlight.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If it wasn't for the tats, I would jump her bones while her idiot boyfriend is yapping on the phone.
Who cares about the tats.... look at the t*ts.....

Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Why is the cell phone so addicting?
Because it is a means to continually announce "I'm Here!" "I count!" "I have a life!" "I'm Special!"
All that shows a lot of insecurity to me. Personal insecurity and societal insecurity. From the numbers of cell phone addicts, our cultural insecurities must be very wide and deep these days.

I'm like most of the posters to this. I don't own a cell phone, and never have. But my children all have them, although none are junkies, and my sister, brothers, and most of my extended family have them. One is certainly a texting junky who would rather text than talk on hers.

A good friend is equally a cell phone junky and an equally strong face to face communicator. His iPhone replaced a laptop he habitually carried, but he could always turn off his device and never miss it. All it is to him is a wonderful aide to his business, which is international. He restricts his cell phone calls when he's 'out of the office' except for calls to personal friends, but his 'office' is wherever he is for most of the day.

On my last trip to visit my sons, who both live over 500 miles away, I found I was pretty helpless without a cell phone. I've come to realize that at my age, and living alone, a cell phone could be a lifesaver for me, and could be very helpful as a navigator, a weather forecaster, and many other useful functions that I could really need these days, so I'm reluctantly thinking of getting one, and the phone will have all the whiz-bangs when I buy it.

But I doubt very much I'll ever become an addict. It will be just another useful tool. I'm a geezer, so all my other communications skills are as developed as they'll ever be, and they have served me well enough.

I wonder how the kids will fare, though. I don't think keeping in second by second contact with friends and family is a healthy or natural thing, and doing so only increases a lack of self assurance and increases anxiety. I also believe it makes some mental conditions, such as OCD, very much worse than it needs to be.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I have a phone. Rarely used. Prohibited at work.
The only time I use my iphone at work is for the timer app to remind me to clock out for lunch on time and the occasional text from the boss.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I drove from Seattle to Georgia, then navigated my "roving IT repair guy' contract job in Florida, then drove to my job in Virginia using nothing but the Mapquest app on my Iphone. That would've take a carload worth of paper maps - and much more time, back in the day. Using maps that might not even be current. Even better, it's FREE.
That flashlight app has saved my bacon too many times to count. Power goes off? Flashlight in your Phone!

They do come in real handy. But if I lost it tomorrow, I would survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies