Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 PM

878 posts, read 737,936 times

Advertisements

It's a sad thing that JFK was cut down. I don't think these words would ever come out of Obama's mouth, even though he is a democrat. What JFK would have said was truly inspiring and these words could be used today to bring hope to a nation that is truly in trouble.

Here are JFK's last words at end of speech he planned to give at Texas welcome dinner, Austin, night of 11/22/1963:

Neither the fanatics nor the faint-hearted are needed. And our duty as a Party is not to our Party alone, but to the nation, and, indeed, to all mankind. Our duty is not merely the preservation of political power but the preservation of peace and freedom.

So let us not be petty when our cause is so great. Let us not quarrel amongst ourselves when our Nation's future is at stake.

Let us stand together with renewed confidence in our cause -- united in our heritage of the past and our hopes for the future -- and determined that this land we love shall lead all mankind into new frontiers of peace and abundance.

Read The Last Lines Of The Speech JFK Would Have Given The Night Of His Assassination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
It's a sad thing that JFK was cut down. I don't think these words would ever come out of Obama's mouth, even though he is a democrat. What JFK would have said was truly inspiring and these words could be used today to bring hope to a nation that is truly in trouble.

Here are JFK's last words at end of speech he planned to give at Texas welcome dinner, Austin, night of 11/22/1963:

Neither the fanatics nor the faint-hearted are needed. And our duty as a Party is not to our Party alone, but to the nation, and, indeed, to all mankind. Our duty is not merely the preservation of political power but the preservation of peace and freedom.

So let us not be petty when our cause is so great. Let us not quarrel amongst ourselves when our Nation's future is at stake.

Let us stand together with renewed confidence in our cause -- united in our heritage of the past and our hopes for the future -- and determined that this land we love shall lead all mankind into new frontiers of peace and abundance.

Read The Last Lines Of The Speech JFK Would Have Given The Night Of His Assassination
That cited passage could be made by any politician.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That cited passage could be made by any politician.
Never by Obama!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Never by Obama!
That's some deep analysis there, buddy.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's some deep analysis there, buddy.
You don't need much analysis when it comes to figuring out Obama.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
I can see Obama saying that. He wouldn't actually MEAN it and would turn right around and do the opposite and put himself first followed by the dem party, but I don't doubt he would say it.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." now that Obama would never say.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
The murder of JFK wasn't just an American tragedy, it was a world one. I believe his time as President was making him a better person. He had grown much closer to his wife after the death of their newborn baby. He was also listening to wise advice from friends like Prime Minister Harold Macmillan.

He would have won a second term with ease, and may be the tragedy of Vietnam would have been averted. We'll never know now. His great promise was never fulfilled, but he was a man of growing compassion and vision.

I had never read the speech he was to give the night he died. Reading it, I could almost hear his voice. It is enough to make me weep. There has never been a politician since his death worth a mention.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/us...anted=all&_r=0

This was a pretty good speech, gave me goose bumps when I heard it.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:

Would Obama ever say something like that?

There is not a liberal America and a conservative America — there is the United States of America. There is not a Black America and a White America and Latino America and Asian America — there's the United States of America.

In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people. Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.
Yet Obama has been nothing but petty and immature during his putative presidency. There are many examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies