Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,042,679 times

Advertisements

ASU fraternity suspended after 'offensive' MLK party - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Sigh. On one hand, these kids were stupid to take pictures and post them. They should know by now, especially when it comes to things like this, that some people are not allowed to do or say certain things and youll get blasted or even punished for it.

On the other hand, who the hell cares? No one was hurt. And last time I checked, movies, shows, comedians stereotype ALL THE DAMN TIME!

How is it racist to stereotype anyways? Its not. Just because some claim it is, doesnt make it so. This was harmless

Get a load of this quote:
Quote:
"This isn't appropriate at all and you really have no business dressing like this on a day that's sort of revered for African-Americans," said ASU senior Frank Hogan after seeing some of the pictures.
LOL If this party was "racist", than so is his comment of outrage. Is he saying that the black people who do dress like that look bad? Or is he saying that ONLY black people can dress like that and its okay?

This whole getting offended by ______ has really been taken to an extreme in recent years. Most of it is faux outrage anyways. Let me know when these same people who claim to be offended, also stop supporting hollywood and "comedians". Half the routine of some comedians, especially black ones, is about race and stereotypes. OHHHH but it is okay because its "entertainment"....sorry, that doesnt jive. These kids are the fraternity, while maybe classless, were just entertaining themselves without hurting a soul.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,125,377 times
Yeah, tilt, just a little frat party fund, eh?

Pictures from the event, coined "MLK Black Party" by the group, show members and guests dressed in basketball jerseys, flashing gang signs and even drinking from watermelon cups.

The only thing missing was black face.

Ignorance.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,446 times
oh please. What in the name of all that is holy is offensive about black people liking watermelon? Or being/dressing like basketball players? The gang thing, yea, ok, it's maybe a little offensive since it's inherently kinda bad to be a gang member, but the other stuff? I am sorry, but these civil rights leaders go wayyyyyyyyy overboard with what they find offensive. Shouldn't they be concentrating on things that matter, like why the percentage of single mother households is so overwhelmingly skewed towards the black community? Or that the percentage of blacks in gangs and prisons is so much higher than all other groups and trying to find out why this is and what can be done to change it?

It seems to me that they focus on things that are silly to focus on. And it also seems to me that I would think a lot of black people would be kind of aggravated at these people being the spokespeople for their entire race.

Yea, the kids are silly and goofy and not thinking about how what they did might be offensive. That is pretty much the definition of college kids.

Lighten up Reverend Righteousness.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,950,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Sigh. On one hand, these kids were stupid to take pictures and post them. They should know by now, especially when it comes to things like this, that some people are not allowed to do or say certain things and youll get blasted or even punished for it.

On the other hand, who the hell cares? No one was hurt. And last time I checked, movies, shows, comedians stereotype ALL THE DAMN TIME!

How is it racist to stereotype anyways? Its not. Just because some claim it is, doesnt make it so. This was harmless

LOL If this party was "racist", than so is his comment of outrage. Is he saying that the black people who do dress like that look bad? Or is he saying that ONLY black people can dress like that and its okay?

This whole getting offended by ______ has really been taken to an extreme in recent years. Most of it is faux outrage anyways. Let me know when these same people who claim to be offended, also stop supporting hollywood and "comedians". Half the routine of some comedians, especially black ones, is about race and stereotypes. OHHHH but it is okay because its "entertainment"....sorry, that doesnt jive. These kids are the fraternity, while maybe classless, were just entertaining themselves without hurting a soul.
Those students signed a contract with ASU. These students have no right to attend ASU. They are required by ASU to comport themselves in a dignified mature manor. If these students are unable to do so...ASU has the all the right to get rid of these miscreants.

Then these former strudents can have all the MLK day parties they wish in their mom and dad's basement.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 AM

7,815 posts, read 6,399,445 times
Should have gone with the blackface. Would make them harder to identify.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Why would anyone care? Left wing "comedians" make fun of rednecks like me all of the time. However, being derisive of rural whites is "acceptable" and encouraged among leftists, so that is "okay". Do I care about such parodies? No

I would offer that the 1st amendment rights of the frat were violated.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,738,346 times
http://memeshare.net/memes/17/16808.png

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-22-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,214,998 times
So apparently people in Arizona associate MLK with gangs

What do you expect, it's Arizona

Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,698,037 times
Good, they should be suspended. It was stupid and immature.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,950,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why would anyone care? Left wing "comedians" make fun of rednecks like me all of the time. However, being derisive of rural whites is "acceptable" and encouraged among leftists, so that is "okay". Do I care about such parodies? No

I would offer that the 1st amendment rights of the frat were violated.
You could offer anything you like, but that does not make it so. It is OK if you dont care...ASU cares and they are the only entity that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies