Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,531,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
ASU fraternity suspended after 'offensive' MLK party - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Sigh. On one hand, these kids were stupid to take pictures and post them. They should know by now, especially when it comes to things like this, that some people are not allowed to do or say certain things and youll get blasted or even punished for it.

On the other hand, who the hell cares? No one was hurt. And last time I checked, movies, shows, comedians stereotype ALL THE DAMN TIME!

How is it racist to stereotype anyways? Its not. Just because some claim it is, doesnt make it so. This was harmless

Get a load of this quote:

LOL If this party was "racist", than so is his comment of outrage. Is he saying that the black people who do dress like that look bad? Or is he saying that ONLY black people can dress like that and its okay?

This whole getting offended by ______ has really been taken to an extreme in recent years. Most of it is faux outrage anyways. Let me know when these same people who claim to be offended, also stop supporting hollywood and "comedians". Half the routine of some comedians, especially black ones, is about race and stereotypes. OHHHH but it is okay because its "entertainment"....sorry, that doesnt jive. These kids are the fraternity, while maybe classless, were just entertaining themselves without hurting a soul.
Why are you defending their actions at all ?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Why are you defending their actions at all ?
Tell us which actions you find offensive.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Tell us which actions you find offensive.
I find the actions of stereotyping African Americans offensive.

And your post does not answer my question, why are people defending their actions ?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I find the actions of stereotyping African Americans offensive.

And your post does not answer my question, why are people defending their actions ?
Is it really a stereotype if a segment of white people mimic the actions of a segment of black people?

It was in poor taste, perhaps, but what exactly is not accurate in their portrayal?

Is this about having hurt feelings or is this about denial?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Is it really a stereotype if a segment of white people mimic the actions of a segment of black people?

It was in poor taste, perhaps, but what exactly is not accurate in their portrayal?

Is this about having hurt feelings or is this about denial?
Denial ? you think all black people are in gangs and wear throwback jerseys ?

by the way, your first and second sentences make it seem like you do not know the definition of the word stereotype.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM

153 posts, read 156,382 times
Living here in Phoenix I can honestly not say I'm surprised at these actions.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Quote:
Wouldn't apply to a party held outside of university property.

Also, although the intent of Section (2)(b) above is likely intended to refer to University property only, as written it likely would not be upheld in court. The plain-language of the rule could be construed to be applicable to all "premises used or controlled by the organization" all across the country. At a minimum, this language needs to be struck and re-worded for legal sufficiency.
No it doesn't.

It's in there for exactly this purpose.

Fraternaties and other sponsored organizations that operate off campus but under the regulations of the University.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314guy View Post
Living here in Phoenix I can honestly not say I'm surprised at these actions.
Meh.

Living around college kids in my life I can say I'm not surprised.

Honestly, this type of stuff was fairly common on pretty much every college campus I touched in Philadelphia as well ....... plenty of stereotyping and such. However, it was more on the individual/small group level ...... most weren't stupid enough to throw an entire party dedicated to stereotyping and insulting a segment of the student (and regional) population

Dumb kids just proving they don't deserve the perks they've received

Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,006 times
While this may be poor taste, the political correct left wing needs to get a grip and realize that political correctness is only a hop skip and a jump from tyranny.

There are things that offend all of us on a daily basis, but when you begin to punish people for poor taste, then you have crossed a very dangerous line.

Freedom is based on maintaining strict criteria for what society can and cannot prevent a sovereign person from doing.

That criterion is based on a standard of "actual" harm to others. Once you cross the line to include actions which merely offend others, then you have opened Pandora’s Box and anything can be outlawed simply because those in power do not want a particular idea, point of view, or opinion to be held or voiced.

The freedom of speech and expression are the foundations of all of our freedoms, and if we allow them to be taken away due to political correctness, then we have no freedom at all.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Hate the 1st Amendment much? I thought the idea is hilarious.
Naturally, the people who find hawkish racist jokes "hilarious" are the same people who do not understand the first amendment that they yell about so much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies