Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When I die I intend to have my gravestone engraved with the message "Votes Republican" to keep the Democrats from getting any funny ideas.
I think your onto something, could be an entire new voting block and I'm sure you could get a lobbyist to represent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No, you specifically said:
Which is why you would want to investigate how many books are being stolen before starting a policy that might not even work.

When you know how many fraudulent votes are being cast and where they are coming from, let me know.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which is why you would want to investigate how many books are being stolen before starting a policy that might not even work.
And the very first thing you will need to do is ID the books. You can't track what is stolen without knowing what you have.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
And the very first thing you will need to do is ID the books. You can't track what is stolen without knowing what you have.
So if you don't know how many fraudulent votes there are in each election, how will photo IDs stop them if you don't even know how fraudulent votes are happening, where they are coming from, or how many there are?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Every state seeking to enact voter ID laws should also put in a place a system that will make it easier for residents to obtain the requisite ID. Unfortunately, the judiciary is resistant to something as simple as requiring an ID, so States must grease the skids in order to pass legal muster. That's the sad truth.
Actually it is pretty simple to get an ID in Pa. Picture ID can be acquired at any driver license center. If one can get out to vote, then I am sure they are quite capable of getting out to get their ID. I am a supporter of voter ID.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 AM

From the article, there are many special situations that make it difficult to acquire an ID.

Quote:

“Hundreds of thousands of electors in Pennsylvania lack compliant ID,â€
McGinley wrote. “Enforcement of the voter ID Law as to these electors has the
effect of disenfranchising them through no fault of their own. Inescapably, the
Voter ID law infringes upon qualified electors’ right to vote.â€

Noted McGinley: “In contrast to the hundreds of thousands who lack compliant
photo ID, only 17,000 photo IDs for voting purposes have been issued.†Since the
2012 election, fewer than 150 new voting IDs had been issued by the state per
month.

That’s because getting a voter ID in Pennsylvania was a bureaucratic
nightmare
. There are 9,300 polling places in the state, but only 71
DMV offices. There are only five DMV offices for the entire city of
Philadelphia, none in nine counties and in 16 counties offices are only open one
or two days a week. “The Voter ID Law does not contain, on its face, any valid
non-burdensome means of providing compliant photo ID to qualified electors,â€
McGinley wrote. “Accordingly, the Voter ID Law is facially unconstitutional.â€
The lead plaintiff in the case, Viviette Applewhite, was a 93-year-old
great-great grandmother who marched with Martin Luther King Jr. and had voted in
every election for the past 50 years but did not have a driver’s license and was
at risk of being disenfranchised by the new law.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
From the article, there are many special situations that make it difficult to acquire an ID.
Such as what? A SSN and two other documents like utility bills or tax documents is all you need. Is that really too much to ask?

The issue with the original plaintiff I recall is she didn't have a BC, again that requirement is federal which is why PA decided to issue an ID that didn't require a BC for voting purposes.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Such as what? A SSN and two other documents like utility bills or tax documents is all you need. Is that really too much to ask?

The issue with the original plaintiff I recall is she didn't have a BC, again that requirement is federal which is why PA decided to issue an ID that didn't require a BC for voting purposes.
I have not seen the details you mentioned but the larger issue is traveling to a DOT site in person if you do not have a drivers license, around 9 counties do not even have an office and many more are only open 1 day a week.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
...but the larger issue is traveling to a DOT site in person if you do not have a drivers license,...
Once every four years for regular ID and once every 10 years for the voting only ID. Having to go some place once every four to ten years that can't be more than 1 hour away is not a burden. Keep in mind elderly and long term care home ID's are acceptable.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I have not seen the details you mentioned...
Here is the requirements for the voting only ID when a BC is not available that is valid for 10 years. I was wrong, no utility bill type documentation required but you do need to be registered voter.

Quote:
PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Voter ID
New Department of State Voter ID, for Voting Purposes Only

Persons who want the new Department of State Voter ID will need to provide their
  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security number (If the customer has been issued an SSN)
  • County
  • Previous name and/or address if changed in the past 12 months.
Honestly, can you say this id too much of a burden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies