Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 PM

30,331 posts, read 23,808,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Global Rich List

Try this one.
Hey! I'm a 1%er! Woohoo! I've finally made it! (Compared to the rest of the world.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,739,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No, because I have health issues and cant do anything that regularly involves heavy lifting (an arm issue not a back issue). Also I have frequent medical appointments and daytime shift jobs don;t work out for me. (I work a job where my employer changes all schedules weekly, so he can schedule me around my appointments.)
What are you passionate about? If there is something you know well, books, sports cards, clothes, etc., you could save $20-$30 dollars and shop garage sales and Craigslist to resale on ebay, Amazon, etc. and make extra money. I have friends who stay at home and make thousands reselling things like kids clothes.
You could start a blog about your passion and use paid links. That would cost next to nothing, and if you got enough readers, you could actually charge for ads too. I have friends who do that too.

And I read an article recently about being a personal assistant to a busy exec, but your work from your home. That paid more than minimum wage too.

I feel like I've given you these and more suggestions before. Honestly, anyone with a little motivation, $20, and an internet connection can make extra money from home.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,690,308 times
118% of national and 280% of global wage. I guess I'm part of that dissipating middle class.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
What are you passionate about? If there is something you know well, books, sports cards, clothes, etc., you could save $20-$30 dollars and shop garage sales and Craigslist to resale on ebay, Amazon, etc. and make extra money. I have friends who stay at home and make thousands reselling things like kids clothes.
You could start a blog about your passion and use paid links. That would cost next to nothing, and if you got enough readers, you could actually charge for ads too. I have friends who do that too.

And I read an article recently about being a personal assistant to a busy exec, but your work from your home. That paid more than minimum wage too.

I feel like I've given you these and more suggestions before. Honestly, anyone with a little motivation, $20, and an internet connection can make extra money from home.

Actually, I have found my online niche selling sports cards, comics, and magazines. Gonna ramp up soon, hope to go fulltime (and ditch my job) by spring. I'm working on releasing a price guide and might be hiring a virtual assistant.

And I'm getting ready to launch a blog by the Ides of March, or the vernal equinox.

Last edited by freemkt; 01-23-2014 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: by the Ides of March.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 PM

58 posts, read 82,670 times
The thing about these global wage sites which are made for the sole purpose of making americans think they are richer than they actually are. I put 10k in and it said thats 4x what a teacher makes in ethiopia. Well does a meal cost $7 in ethiopia? Is rent without utilities in the ghetto $500 a month? Are most teachers in ehtiopia homeless? Cause most ameican adults making 10k a year are.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM

14,015 posts, read 5,658,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
308% of USA aveage and 727% of world. Yikes.
249% and 587% here. Turns out I make less than a US CEO and the Queen of England, as much as an Admin Manager in Finland, and more than everyone else. Okie doke. Not bad for a professional software dork.

Oh, and @freemkt - your troubles are your fault and should any of those troubles persist, that too will be your fault. If you have no skills, that is your fault, and money is not required to obtain skills, not in the world of the Internet that we've all lived in for a decade. Knowledge and skills are available using the same computer, keyboard and mouse you use to waste your time and whine about your lot in life on this forum.

That you choose not to make use of the most awesome library of knowledge in the history of human civilization is completely on you. But living in America makes you globally rich, even if you are on welfare, and provides you with opportunities found very few other places on the planet.

I think of all the people who come here from Asia and Africa, knowing barely any English, no measurable skills whatsoever, and within a few years are successful, and then I listen to a native born American who has had all of our opportunities their whole life whining and moaning about how rough they have it, and you know what...you make me sick. Your attitude is nauseating and an insult to every hard working person in this country, especially the immigrants who come here with nothing but the clothes on their back, as well as people who have it rougher than you and make a lot fewer excuses.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 AM

7,493 posts, read 6,281,840 times
Quote:
??? I have no marketable job skills, plus now I have to navigate age discrimination. Going to school is financially not an option.

My complaint is that I'm tired of hearing that I am 'rich' by world standards.
11.90 posts per day. You spend too much time on the net. Learn how to drive nails or something useful.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Quote:
I have no marketable job skills
Whose fault is that?

Quote:
plus now I have to navigate age discrimination.
You're not that old.

Quote:
Going to school is financially not an option.
I didn't realize that libraries were charging exorbitant rates these days.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
me-189/ 447 Guess I am doing all right.
combined with wife- 320/ 755.
I would be curious what it would be if they included assets.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,364,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Well, it's all your own fault. So, shut up about it and do something. Instead being rich by global standards and whining about being a victim.
He didnt whine, he made a comment.
Bad day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies