Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Chinese immersion classes are very popular, so much so it is hard to find open seats in many areas.
Several of the school districts here in Colorado offer Chinese, along with Spanish and German (and other) immersion classes. There is always a waiting list to get into these programs.

An article from your area:

"Dual-language immersion classes have steadily gained in popularity over the past several years. At the start of the new school year on Aug. 12, almost 470 students were on waiting lists for kindergarten dual-language immersion programs, with more than 100 students each on waiting lists to take Spanish classes at Edison and Franklin elementary schools."

Glendale Unified sees high demand for popular dual-language immersion program - Glendale News-Press

Other success stories, all with substantiating reasons for why learning a second (or third) language is valuable in our global economy:

Competition stiff for language immersion programs -- FairfaxTimes.com

OnMilwaukee.com Kids & Family: Milwaukee French Immersion School fetes 35 years

Why Immersion? | Utah Immersion

GCPS to offer Spanish, French language immersion programs to kindergarteners | Gwinnett Daily Post
Good links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM

63,008 posts, read 29,203,719 times
This bears repeating. English is the language of commerce across the world. Most Americans do not have jobs whereby they have to communicate with foreigners in a foreign country. This is about requiring Spanish in this English speaking country to communicate with illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country or those who just want to be pandered to in Spanish even though they know English. How did this topic get turned into dealing with foreigners in a foreign country?

Most of these "immersion" classes especially for native Spanish speakers are for those in our country illegally and for that I object. Enforce our immigration laws and there would be less need for these "immersion" classes and therefore less taxes educating them and employers won't feel the need to require Spanish to get a job in this country.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How did this topic get turned into dealing with foreigners in a foreign country?
How did this thread get turned into a discussion about illegal immigration?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:
This bears repeating. English is the language of commerce across the world. Most Americans do not have jobs whereby they have to communicate with foreigners in a foreign country. This is about requiring Spanish in this English speaking country to communicate with illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country or those who just want to be pandered to in Spanish even though they know English. How did this topic get turned into dealing with foreigners in a foreign country?

Most of these "immersion" classes especially for native Spanish speakers are for those in our country illegally and for that I object. Enforce our immigration laws and there would be less need for these "immersion" classes and therefore less taxes educating them and employers won't feel the need to require Spanish to get a job in this country.
Why are you so against people learning skills that would make them more employable?

"How did this topic get turned into dealing with foreigners in a foreign country?"

From the gwinnett link I posted earlier:
"French was chosen after discussions with the business community, the military and state department, which said most peace-keeping efforts are in former French colonies, Valentine said."

If you read any of the links I posted, you would see that every single one of them notes that being bi-lingual enhances employability. It is a skill, like any other skill and one that has been proven to enhance learning, raise test scores and teach children (and adults) about cultures other than their own.

The OP attempted to paint these programs in a negative light by stressing that the first part of the school day was devoted to Spanish instruction as if the mere positioning meant that the school was favoring Spanish over English.

The fact is that studies have shown that children do better with these sorts of classes in the morning when they are at their most alert. It has nothing to do with any agenda other than a positive learning experience.

The minority of posters in this thread who chose to make this about something other than teaching children a valuable skill seem to me to be so wrapped up in their small-mindedness that it is impossible for them to ascribe anything other than ulterior motives to something that has been proven exceptionally valuable.
So sad for them.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,267,106 times
Quote:

The minority of posters in this thread who chose to make this about something other than teaching children a valuable skill seem to me to be so wrapped up in their small-mindedness that it is impossible for them to ascribe anything other than ulterior motives to something that has been proven exceptionally valuable.
So sad for them.
It really is sad, isn't is? I think I'm going to have to put Oldglory on my ignore list, for instance, because every post makes me think of Eleanor Rigby.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Why are you so against people learning skills that would make them more employable?

"How did this topic get turned into dealing with foreigners in a foreign country?"

If you read any of the links I posted, you would see that every single one of them notes that being bi-lingual enhances employability. It is a skill, like any other skill and one that has been proven to enhance learning, raise test scores and teach children (and adults) about cultures other than their own.

The OP attempted to paint these programs in a negative light by stressing that the first part of the school day was devoted to Spanish instruction as if the mere positioning meant that the school was favoring Spanish over English.

The fact is that studies have shown that children do better with these sorts of classes in the morning when they are at their most alert. It has nothing to do with any agenda other than a positive learning experience.

So sad for them.
I have already explained in here over and over why I object to Spanish being shoved down our throats. It is being discriminating against native English speakers in hiring practices to require Spanish to get a job "here" when it is mostly due to illegal immigration and other Spanish speakers who refuse to assimilate to English in this country. How many times do I have to explain that in here? If someone chooses to learn a foreign language it is their perogative but unless a job requires a foreign language because one has to deal with foreingers in THEIR own country it is wrong, wrong, wrong!

You can remain in denial just like many others in here but these immersion classes for mono- Spanish speakers are mostly due to illegal immigration. I object to our taxes going to educate illegal aliens and anything else our taxes go to supporting them. Why am I the wrong one here? I know what the SC has ruled but it is not in the best interest of the American taxpayer. They should be advocating for our immigration laws to be enforced instead.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
It really is sad, isn't is? I think I'm going to have to put Oldglory on my ignore list, for instance, because every post makes me think of Eleanor Rigby.
Good, do that. Then I won't have to be insulted by you anymore for have a differing opinion. You know what they say, "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all".

Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Can't rep you again, but - dead on.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Why am I the wrong one here?
You are wrong because you are talking about illegal immigration in a thread about teaching children a useful and marketable skill.

You seem to have a phobia about anyone learning Spanish.

Why is that particular language so threatening to you?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM

15,874 posts, read 21,463,892 times
Quote:
I have already explained in here over and over why I object to Spanish being shoved down our throats. It is being discriminating against native English speakers in hiring practices to require Spanish to get a job "here" when it is mostly due to illegal immigration and other Spanish speakers who refuse to assimilate to English in this country. How many times do I have to explain that in here? If someone chooses to learn a foreign language it is their perogative but unless a job requires a foreign language because one has to deal with foreingers in THEIR own country it is wrong, wrong, wrong!

You can remain in denial just like many others in here but these immersion classes for mono- Spanish speakers are mostly due to illegal immigration. I object to our taxes going to educate illegal aliens and anything else our taxes go to supporting them. Why am I the wrong one here? I know what the SC has ruled but it is not in the best interest of the American taxpayer. They should be advocating for our immigration laws to be enforced instead.
Being a native English speaker does not exclude you from learning Spanish.

How do you feel about many jobs in Mexico requiring their employees to know English because of tourists and American retirees who refuse to learn Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies