Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The question of what she read was legitimate, but when she asked it I believe Palin took it as an insult that she was from backwater place, so she clammed up. In this day and age, specifically what newspapers and magazines do you read? I probably read articles from many different ones because I don't subscribe to a single paper, I get it on the Internet. It's not really a simple question anymore. Twenty years ago it was a simple question.
The question stumped Palin because she was not yet a polished politician. A polished politician would have said..."I dont get to read as much as I used to. My duties and family keep me far too busy these day to enjoy a good read.".

Palin even recognized that saying "i dont read" would have not been a good thing...so her poor attempt at a response showed she was not ready to handle the job. She couldn't tell the truth nor could she answer on the fly.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't remember hearing or reading anyone saying she had too many kids (I have more than she does).

Please provide a link to support that claim.

Baloney. She didn't have to be home with her kids because she drug them around the campaign trail with her and trotted them out on stage every chance she got.

While I do remember the speculation early on that the baby might actually be her daughter's (and not a huge leap when you consider the fact that S.P. rarely was seen holding him - almost always it was Bristol or one of the other girls with him in their arms), I don't remember anyone saying she should have aborted him.

Please provide a link to support your claim.

Again, never read it, never heard it.

Besides, how do you "force" a 17-year-old girl to have an abortion?

Since you said it happened, please provide a link to support your claim.

Again, baloney.

How did "they" (and, again, who is "they?") "hound" her kids? Hell, she exploited her kids by dragging them around the campaign trail with her for her own political gain and ambitions. She wanted to be known as "the hockey mom/pit bull with lipstick" (or something like that), and to do that, she exploited and used her own children.

Hell, once the news was out about Bristol's pregnancy, she exploited that by trotting the baby daddy out on stage, too!

How often did we see the Obama girls during the campaign?

I'm also pretty sure we won't see either of the Obama girls on Dancing with the Stars or on a reality show exploiting their own child.

And it only took her five years (or six?) and five different schools to finally get her degree! lol

Oh, yes, because asking someone what they read is a "gotcha' question."

(And, yes, I would know that "on the fly" - it's really not that tough of a question - especially for someone who aspires to the second highest position in the country and who would be just a heartbeat away from the presidency.)

Anyway, I enjoyed your post; thanks for the smiles this morning.
Rep to you ...and it seems as if Palin, the perpetual victim, has cheerleaders to further perpetuate her fabricated drama in that department.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
I don't remember hearing or reading anyone saying she had too many kids (I have more than she does).

Please provide a link to support that claim.

Baloney. She didn't have to be home with her kids because she drug them around the campaign trail with her and trotted them out on stage every chance she got.

While I do remember the speculation early on that the baby might actually be her daughter's (and not a huge leap when you consider the fact that S.P. rarely was seen holding him - almost always it was Bristol or one of the other girls with him in their arms), I don't remember anyone saying she should have aborted him.

Please provide a link to support your claim.

Again, never read it, never heard it.

Besides, how do you "force" a 17-year-old girl to have an abortion?

Since you said it happened, please provide a link to support your claim.

Again, baloney.

How did "they" (and, again, who is "they?") "hound" her kids? Hell, she exploited her kids by dragging them around the campaign trail with her for her own political gain and ambitions. She wanted to be known as "the hockey mom/pit bull with lipstick" (or something like that), and to do that, she exploited and used her own children.

Hell, once the news was out about Bristol's pregnancy, she exploited that by trotting the baby daddy out on stage, too!

How often did we see the Obama girls during the campaign?

I'm also pretty sure we won't see either of the Obama girls on Dancing with the Stars or on a reality show exploiting their own child.

And it only took her five years (or six?) and five different schools to finally get her degree! lol

Oh, yes, because asking someone what they read is a "gotcha' question."

(And, yes, I would know that "on the fly" - it's really not that tough of a question - especially for someone who aspires to the second highest position in the country and who would be just a heartbeat away from the presidency.)

Anyway, I enjoyed your post; thanks for the smiles this morning.
I was just recalling things off the top of my head. I don't want to go back five years on the Internet to find all the crazy stuff I heard about Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin during those campaigns, but I remember some of the stuff. These weren't things said only by Republicans, but by Democrats.

Whether Sarah Palin was qualified or not because she went to five different schools makes no difference, since she was a governor of a state and had executive experience. As I recall, Obama went to two different colleges before going to law school at Harvard. My reading of the Constitution doesn't say that the only people qualified to be president must be a minimum of 35 years old, a natural-born citizen of the United States, and have an Ivy League education, but that seems to be what a lot of people in Washington feel.

Obama had his daughters at a lot of campaign events too, but I never considered either an exploitation. It still doesn't make anyone's children fair game. Obama didn't say anything about Palin's kids, but other people did.

Oh, and Bristol Palin went on Dancing with the Stars, after the campaign and after she became an adult.

I'm not here to defend Sarah Palin, who I don't even like all that much. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.

If you want real hypocrisy, look at how Democrats on Capitol Hill and the White House pay their women staffers less then their male staffers. It's documented.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
What Palin "thought" about the question is meaningless.

Besides, it's pretty presumptuous of you to assume you know why she "clammed up."

And she could have said exactly that. I'll bet you didn't burn up too many brain cells coming up with that answer.
It is still a simple question.
Not presumptuous, it's what she said herself.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Also coming from a backwater place I would not be insulted if someone asked what I read because I actually read things. It was a major softball question and she was so blindsided that should didn't even attempt to swing.

Why should we continue in a system where two incomes are required for a middle class lifestyle but we make people suffer for taking the time to have, much less raise, children? It should not be frowned upon for a man to take time off to help his partner in the first few weeks of child's life and no woman's career should suffer because she chooses to have a child.
I agree completely with you. It should not be frowned upon for men to help with the kids, but that's the reality. My husband and I both work, and when our kids were little and got sick a lot at daycare, it always fell to me to take off work because my husband's employer wouldn't accept that he had to stay home with sick kids. The question was always, "Why can't your wife do that?" His response was always that I had a job too, but it got to the point where it would potentially hurt his career to stay home whereas my employers didn't question it.

I'm not defending her inability to answer the question, just the fact that she got those questions when Obama got truly softball questions. It was just assumed that he was smart. One presidential historian even claimed that Obama is probably the smartest guy to ever hold the office. And I still contend that it's not an easy question to answer. I read articles from many different papers now, not just my local paper and the New York Times and Washington Post. If only she would have named those, but whatever. As I've said, I don't like Palin, as she got further into her campaign I really questioned her abilities, but my God, the woman was vilified from every single corner to an awful degree. No wonder she got defensive. They don't really treat men in the ring that way, which was my point.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
I agree completely with you. It should not be frowned upon for men to help with the kids, but that's the reality. My husband and I both work, and when our kids were little and got sick a lot at daycare, it always fell to me to take off work because my husband's employer wouldn't accept that he had to stay home with sick kids. The question was always, "Why can't your wife do that?" His response was always that I had a job too, but it got to the point where it would potentially hurt his career to stay home whereas my employers didn't question it.
Then maybe we should be nominating and voting for people who value family beyond a quick soundbite. Paid maternity, and guaranteed (paid or unpaid) paternity leave should be given in the US if we really valued families and rewarded hard work.

Quote:
I'm not defending her inability to answer the question, just the fact that she got those questions when Obama got truly softball questions. It was just assumed that he was smart. One presidential historian even claimed that Obama is probably the smartest guy to ever hold the office. And I still contend that it's not an easy question to answer. I read articles from many different papers now, not just my local paper and the New York Times and Washington Post. If only she would have named those, but whatever. As I've said, I don't like Palin, as she got further into her campaign I really questioned her abilities, but my God, the woman was vilified from every single corner to an awful degree. No wonder she got defensive. They don't really treat men in the ring that way, which was my point.
You should really read Game Change. The vilification Palin received from her opponents was nothing compared to what those working in the campaign thought of her, and though harsh, it wasn't totally undeserved.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:

You should really read Game Change. The vilification Palin received from her opponents was nothing compared to what those working in the campaign thought of her, and though harsh, it wasn't totally undeserved.
Or watch the movie.

Steve Schmidt, a strategist for the McCain campaign, called the movie "accurate."

Quote:
“I think it was very accurate. For all of us in the campaign, it really rang true. It gave you a little bit of PTSD at times. It did for me......"
Quote:
“The experience on this campaign is that there are worse things than losing…. I think the notion of Sarah Palin being president of the United States is something that frightens me, frankly. And I played a part in that.”
'Game Change': Steve Schmidt, Nicolle Wallace respond | PopWatch | EW.com

Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
The question of what she read was legitimate, but when she asked it I believe Palin took it as an insult that she was from backwater place, so she clammed up. In this day and age, specifically what newspapers and magazines do you read? I probably read articles from many different ones because I don't subscribe to a single paper, I get it on the Internet. It's not really a simple question anymore. Twenty years ago it was a simple question.
It's always a simple question. Anyone who takes a neutral question like that, and takes it as an insult, has to have a gargantuan chip on their shoulder. And she did clam up. Needlessly. It's quite simple to say, as a governor and as a mother, I don't have time for leisure reading. My aides brief me each morning on current stories, especially stories affecting Alaskans, and I get a lot of my news from television and the internet in passing. When I have time, I go to multiple sources for more in-depth research. Question answered, graciously and thoughtfully.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Then maybe we should be nominating and voting for people who value family beyond a quick soundbite. Paid maternity, and guaranteed (paid or unpaid) paternity leave should be given in the US if we really valued families and rewarded hard work.
And who would those people be? How many laws like that passed when Democrats had a full majority in the House, Senate, and White House?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:41 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, tell us about them....
New Report on the Anti-Women Voting Record of the 112th Congress Identifies 55 Anti-Women Votes by House Republicans | Committee on Energy and Commerce Democrats

http://democrats.energycommerce.hous...s-2012-9-5.pdf

Quote:

I. Votes Allowing Health Insurance Companies to Discriminate Against
Women

II. Votes Cutting Women’s Access to Preventive Care

III. Votes Rolling Back Abortion Rights or Restricting Access to Abortion
Services

IV. Votes Cutting Key Nutrition Programs for Women

V. Votes against Protections for Women from Violence and Discrimination

VI. Votes to Block Access to Reproductive and Maternal Care Services

VII. Votes Undermining Medicare and Medicaid

VIII. Votes Increasing Toxic Mercury Pollution
And this is just at the federal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies