Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times

Advertisements

My issue with this is the hospital spokesman said that when people hear their name called, they have a responsibility to get up to see the doctor. Um, what if they can't because they're sick?? It IS an ER after all. Seems a stupid statement from the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Let's be honest. This guy didn't care about his own life. NYC is known to have an excessive amount of congestion in their hospitals. Many are public hospitals... they are a joke.

If he really cared about the health of his family, he could have moved to where this problem doesn't exist. I live in Princeton, NJ that's only a 57 minute commute to NYC. We have two hospitals within a reasonable distance (Princeton University Medical Center and Robert Wood Foundation Hospital) that have practically no wait time. They also treat people without asking any questions so being poor is not an issue (Thanks to NJ's hospital care program).

He chose to live in an area where he didn't have access to hospitals. This isn't anything new (as some ignorant people who might try to blame this on the ACA might claim).
I have lived in NJ, twice. My husband was also a n EMT- Paramedic in NJ.

Of the two hospitals you mentioned, only Robert Wood , in New Brunswick, is a Level 1 trauma hospital. It can trend zoo like, dependent upon the day of week, time, weather and diversion from other trauma 1 hospitals.

By federal law, most ERs, regardless of their trauma level status, or not, are required by law to stabilize any patient, regardless of their ability to pay.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-31-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
"Verrier, according to his family, has struggled with drug addiction but has been clean “for months.”

Man found dead after 8-hour ER wait - Salon.com
The hospital employee who disclosed this situation to the media broke a federal law and violated the patient's confidentiality.

My gut reaction to the original story was that his death was drug related. Hives, itching and rashes are all common skin problems for many heroin addicts. For all anyone knows, he may have scored in the waiting room, stepped outside, dosed himself and returned to his seat and eventually died.

In a hospital like this one , there can be serious hundreds of people in the waiting room and many are there only to get off the street for a few hours.

I suspect toxicology will reveal drugs in his system at the time of death.
They should also be able to pinpoint his time of death based on physical evidence and security camera tapes.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My issue with this is the hospital spokesman said that when people hear their name called, they have a responsibility to get up to see the doctor. Um, what if they can't because they're sick?? It IS an ER after all. Seems a stupid statement from the hospital.
Or dead?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This has nothing to do with Obamacare. Around here the various hospitals (and there are many) advertise on billboards their current wait time. It's most always under 1 hour. Sometimes 5-10 minutes.

There's also a plethora of urgent care clinics, which are more appropriate for most ailments. Do they not have those in New York City?
Huge, huge difference between an Level 1 Trauma in the inner city and other hospitals.

Yes, there are urgent care centers in NYC. No clue if one was convenient to this fellow. They are not necessary open 24/7, seven days a week. They are also under no obligation to stabilize patients, regardless of their ability to pay the way most hospitals, are.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Your just mistaken my words, don't do that and you know what I freaking mean.

The poor man goes to a E.R. thinking he is going to get help. And the man dies in the E.R. is that not sad. As I said more details still need to emerge. But the one Hospital worker, felt he was nothing more then a number, and there was a cover up, wonder what gave him this idea.

And I did not insinuate anything, you are. Again this poor man goes to the E.R. seeking help, and he dies, something clearly more was wrong with this man. Ya think" he died.
We don't know. He may have gone to the hospital to get in out of the cold and fabricated a story. His vitals were taken and he was given a number. It would appear there was nothing with his vitals that would have warranted priority.

We also don't know the hospital worker's motivation. Is she spot on? A disgruntled worker? Someone who overlooked him and doing a cya?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope a pear. And, moreover a realist. This "person" wasn't about to invent the better mouse trap or an improved light bulb. He was a waste of oxygen, which burdened our society and its recourses. If you don't like the truth, too bad; deal with it.

Remember when you call for an ambulance and they are delayed, because they are going to a "drug addict." Remember this when your loved one is convulsing on the floor and the people who will save them, are dealing with someone who CHOSE to stick drugs into their system. And YES, YES this does occur in cities all over this country.

This person was walking waste of oxygen and his death is no more meaningful, then the death of Osama Bin Laden.
I am sorry you feel this way.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:20 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And this is after Obamacare mind you.
Oh yeah, Obamacare. Let's take a look at your republicon "free market" system.
Tape shows woman dying on waiting room floor - CNN.com
Woman dies in hospital waiting room - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports
Ignored By 911, Woman Dies In Hospital - CBS News
Pregnant Woman Ignored In Emergency Room, Baby Later Died | News One
Man Reportedly Dies After Being Left 16 Hours in Texas Emergency Room Without Care | JONATHAN TURLEY
Man Dies Outside Emergency Room After Hospital Tells Police Call 911 | Fox News
NJ Man Dies Of Heart Attack In Hospital Waiting Room After Release! | Bossip

This is just the tip of the republican "free-market" iceberg - too much to post.
What a desperate, laughable, and pathetic bunch you Obama-hating Bushie apologists are. Seriously...

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-02-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
A word of warning: I also know from personal experience that due to mixups they can repeatedly call the wrong name. That's why it pays to keep inquiring during your wait, and don't assume they have it right - especially if you hear them calling a certain name over and over with no response. Sick people who are waiting aren't likely to just leave the ER. It might be you.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
I suspect hospitals and ERs are going to be getting worse -- not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies