Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

Article

Paraphrasing: this girl needed a liver transplant and the insurance company denied her. They later approved it, but it was too late - she died before the operation could begin.

I understand that for some people, the insurance business works. You know, become marketable, take responsibility, get a good job with good benefits.

This girl was 17 - a minor. This was beyond her control, but she paid the price. In a country with a NHS, she would've gotten the transplant immediately because it was urgent for her life. Instead, there was the insurance run around.

Mods: I put this in the controversy section so we could discuss how the health system is corrupt. If you need to move it, please do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
My heart goes out to the girl's family, but I hardly think the insurance company was to blame. This was a very sick girl, suffering from cancer, and the article clearly states that she had been in a vegetative state for weeks.

I wonder how things would have worked out if we were under socialized medicine. I can guarantee the red-tape would have been twice as long (and sticky!).

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
I just watched the video of this on Yahoo News. Very sad and it makes me very angry that we can send billions of dollars to everyine on the planet, conduct a stupid war, yet we have a MAJOR healthcare crisis here in our own backyard and a homeless problem, among many other things. Why does it have to be like this? Why do people - who pay for insurance - have to die while the insurance companies try to cut corners! Did you guys see Michael Moore's movie "Sicko". It's a real eye opener. I just hope the next crackpot we have in the Oval Office really cares enough about the American people to actually do something about the healthcare situation we have here in our own country.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I just hope the next crackpot we have in the Oval Office really cares enough about the American people to actually do something about the healthcare situation we have here in our own country.
Be careful, you might just get what you wish for.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
It is fine here, discussing the impact of these decisions and/or policies is appropriate.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM

42 posts, read 24,411 times
Very sad indeed. I hope that particular insurance company gets sued. Trust me, if I had my way, I'd close them down, because this sort of thing is simply criminal.

What annoys me is that people STILL insist that the current system works. They'll give you the same "Everyone has access to healthcare", which is basically not true. Sure, you'll get emergency treatment, followed by an enormous bill. For something like cancer though, god help you, unless you happen to be one of the few lucky ones with wonderful health insurance and tens of thousands of dollars stashed away in the bank.

Healthcare should be about helping the sick, not making money. Whether you partly/fully socialize heaothcare in the future or not, you have to admit that the system is broken and the costs of getting treatment are out of control and unaffordable to millions of people.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
It was Cigna.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Article

Paraphrasing: this girl needed a liver transplant and the insurance company denied her. They later approved it, but it was too late - she died before the operation could begin.

I understand that for some people, the insurance business works. You know, become marketable, take responsibility, get a good job with good benefits.

This girl was 17 - a minor. This was beyond her control, but she paid the price. In a country with a NHS, she would've gotten the transplant immediately because it was urgent for her life. Instead, there was the insurance run around.

Mods: I put this in the controversy section so we could discuss how the health system is corrupt. If you need to move it, please do so.
While the story is sad, I'm not sure where this bolsters an argument for NHS or how that would have been approved "immediately".

Those currently on national insurance (medicaid, medicare), does not get preferential treatement, so how exactly would national healthcare have approved it immediately?

This insurance was denied instantly, on a NHS, you usually sit around for days waiting for approval.

On a NHS, if services denied, you think they would get it reversed within days?

On a NHS, the familily would not be authorized to sue for damages, because your unable to sue the federal government.(obviously that wont bring the girl back)

On a NHS, would a transplant even been available? (just like was one avaialble now).

The story is tragic, but not sure how this makes an argument for NHS.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 AM

42 posts, read 24,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While the story is sad, I'm not sure where this bolsters an argument for NHS or how that would have been approved "immediately".

Those currently on national insurance (medicaid, medicare), does not get preferential treatement, so how exactly would national healthcare have approved it immediately?

This insurance was denied instantly, on a NHS, you usually sit around for days waiting for approval.

On a NHS, if services denied, you think they would get it reversed within days?

On a NHS, the familily would not be authorized to sue for damages, because your unable to sue the federal government.(obviously that wont bring the girl back)

On a NHS, would a transplant even been available? (just like was one avaialble now).

The story is tragic, but not sure how this makes an argument for NHS.
Do you mind if I ask you if you've used the NHS yourself?

Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Do you mind if I ask you if you've used the NHS yourself?
Not a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies