Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,426,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

If CERN was a component in the JANET system (which is what you're discussing) then didn't CERN actually produce something of benefit? Your initial complaint was that experimentation in these fields does not produce anything of tangible benefit. However your posting implies that one of the things of tangible benefit that has arisen from CERN is the internet, what else has arisen from that research that you don't consider of benefit.
CERN? Didn't Al Gore invent the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
More anti-intellectualism from the right.
Black holes have been linked to teleportation.
Well, let's just quash that from the get-go! Who needs it?
there is also the theory that at the end of a black hole is a white hole where everything that falls into a black hole eventually passes through and is pushed out the white hole somewhere else, in space, time, or dimension, or all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Why they gotta be black holes. Why can't they be asian holes, or mexican or white holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Black holes exist? How do you know?

Since you're so willing, evidenced by the above post, please help me out.
in addition to what votre said below, super massive black holes are generally found by their accretion discs when they are feeding. ever hear of a quasar? that is a super massive black hole that is feeding to the point where it is essentially gorging itself and cant handle the amount of stuff it is taking in and it emits two huge jets of gamma radiation that can extend as far as 70,000 light years in length.

and solar mass black holes, those are massive stars about 100 times the mass of our sun that collapsed down into a black hole, have been found using a phenomenon known as lensing, where light is actually bent around the black hole. other ways super massive black holes have been found when tehy are not feeding is by noting the orbits of the stars around said black hole, they are generally elliptical in shape, and the stars orbit at extreme velocities around the black hole.

try studying some astronomy some time, its a fascinating subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
How do I know?

First, what group of astrophysicists say they don't? Their existence is not controversial. Although they aren't directly observable their presence can be spotted by how they interact with things near them and their effect on their surroundings. These observations have been made many times (dozens of them have been identified and named).

But to be more blunt, their existence is a paradigm within the scientific community, and I will defer to them, and once again to break it down into a simple equation:

The consensus opinion of learned scientists > the opinion of a completely uneducated person who has no idea what he's talking about.

So, if you still have any doubts, let me rephrase it. You have no standing to debate with them. You lack both expertise and experience in this area. Therefore, your opinion on this matter is utterly worthless; devoid of any value whatsoever.

I'm glad I could help you out. I hope I made it perfectly clear.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,426,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post

But to be more blunt, their existence is a paradigm within the scientific community, and I will defer to them, and once again to break it down into a simple equation:

The consensus opinion of learned scientists > the opinion of a completely uneducated person who has no idea what he's talking about.

If we are getting technical, that's an inequality, not an equation.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,211,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in addition to what votre said below, super massive black holes are generally found by their accretion discs when they are feeding. ever hear of a quasar? that is a super massive black hole that is feeding to the point where it is essentially gorging itself and cant handle the amount of stuff it is taking in and it emits two huge jets of gamma radiation that can extend as far as 70,000 light years in length.

and solar mass black holes, those are massive stars about 100 times the mass of our sun that collapsed down into a black hole, have been found using a phenomenon known as lensing, where light is actually bent around the black hole. other ways super massive black holes have been found when tehy are not feeding is by noting the orbits of the stars around said black hole, they are generally elliptical in shape, and the stars orbit at extreme velocities around the black hole.
yes, what you are talking about are properties of an "event horizon"...which have never been observed.

try studying some astronomy some time, its a fascinating subject.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,572 times
Quote:
Stephen Hawking's new theory offers black hole escape - physics-math - 24 January 2014 - New Scientist

OOPS!!

This quote from Samuel Braunstein was rich...

Lmao....these are SCIENTISTS talking!!

Why are countries still being coerced to dump BILLIONS of dollars into this junk that is absolutely going nowhere?

So, black holes were proven with empirical evidence. But now they actually aren't and if they ARE in fact what we believe them to be...we might learn something from them, or not.

Let me guess, you are a DEVOUT Churchgoer. NEVER have taken ANY advanced science classes.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
F

If CERN was a component in the JANET system (which is what you're discussing) then didn't CERN actually produce something of benefit? Your initial complaint was that experimentation in these fields does not produce anything of tangible benefit. However your posting implies that one of the things of tangible benefit that has arisen from CERN is the internet, what else has arisen from that research that you don't consider of benefit.
Sure, CERN actually did produce something of benefit..in a very relative capacity. But that doesn't exactly fly in the face of the stuff they are carrying out with the LHC now does it? These fields are very broadly defined and I am not sure you can make any digestible analogies for the internet and black holes.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Let me guess, you are a DEVOUT Churchgoer. NEVER have taken ANY advanced science classes.
And you would be absolutely wrong. No guessing on this end.

But here let me show you something...

Quote:

And I have absolutely no use for religion, or spirituality or purpose or defining existence....just consistency.
That is a post from this very thread. And it would have answered your question. So, let me guess...you've never taken any RUDIMENTARY reading comprehension classes. Or, you just like being willfully ignorant.

Right?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Einstein believed....
I think Einstein lied.

He may have omitted or altered parts of his theories out of fear the knowledge might be abused or perverted, or otherwise just not ready for that information and the responsibility that comes with it.

His thinking might have been that by the time we figure out the flaws, we'd be advanced enough not to blast ourselves into oblivion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Why can't we just apply some common sense here?

I'm sure it feeds the egos of people like Hawking, but it doesn't do much for us.

That money would have been better spent finding inhabitable planets in nearby solar systems and finding a way to get there.

We've spent all this money on Black-Holes and what have we gotten out of it? A couple of B-grade films with horrid scripts, really bad acting, but cool special effects that are now on DVD?

Whooopeee!

What's our ROI on these Black-Holes? Have we saved Humanity?

'Cause that would be like a good return on investment....

Mircea

Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,283,055 times
Quote:
Sure, CERN actually did produce something of benefit..in a very relative capacity. But that doesn't exactly fly in the face of the stuff they are carrying out with the LHC now does it? These fields are very broadly defined and I am not sure you can make any digestible analogies for the internet and black holes.
LHC has nothing to do with Black Holes.

Black Holes -> General Relativity

LHC -> QFT, Superstring Theory

Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
LHC has nothing to do with Black Holes.

Black Holes -> General Relativity

LHC -> QFT, Superstring Theory
Are you implying there have been no arguments for gravity/field theory duality? Because I believe that is what Hawking just got debunked on. Crothers challenge directly contests Hawkings "Holographic Principle"

Correct me if I am wrong...

anyway, isn't the LHC sometimes referred to as the "Black Hole Machine"??

Regardless, what came out of CERNs contributions to JANET have nothing to do with the garbage they are toting now. And exactly how does having your name associated with the creation of the internet actually fly in the face of any criticism towards, what you yourself claim to be, a totally unrelated field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies