Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we in a Recession/Depression?
Yes, it is only getting worse 21 70.00%
Yes, but it will get better in 2008 3 10.00%
Possibly, but I am not affected 2 6.67%
No everything is perfect in the U.S. 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The numbers are provided by the same administration that is lying about the war. These numbers are eyewash and completely bogus. They are designed to make the administration look 'good".
You can find the same numbers at the OECD, which is not part of the administration. As Presidents have little if any influence over the economy, its hardly surprising that we can have a bad President but a sound economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I DO NOT CONSIDER THIS TO BE A SOUND ECONOMY!

Too many of my friends have been laid off, downsized and had their careers totally derailed. This may be a sound economy for the investor class but for the rest of us it is a disaster. Remember those numbers are created for the investors by the investors.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Well then! Whatever you say must be true. Damn the stats and facts!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Too many of my friends have been laid off, downsized and had their careers totally derailed. This may be a sound economy for the investor class but for the rest of us it is a disaster. Remember those numbers are created for the investors by the investors.

Agreed.

Everything good in our economy is based on negative factors.

Offshoring, bad fed decisions, etc.

The only true "growth" is being experienced by big corporations, and definitely NOT the American employees that work for them. The average Joe Six-pack is getting hosed every day, and they fail to realize it.

It's a "WalMart" economy. Those who understand that comment, probably understand the big picture that comes with it. Those that don't, will probably never understand it. Too many facets for them to grasp.

All they care about is cheap goods, and they don't care what price we'll pay in the long run for them. As for housing, that issue will not be fully realized for another decade. As the homeowners who weren't hurt by it die off, those trying to enter the housing market will increase in number. That's when we'll have a crisis. That's when we'll fully understand that the average American has been priced out. If you didn't own a home during the 200% increase, and built up equity, you may not own a home for years to come.

Last edited by PoliticalGab; 11-30-2007 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-30-2007, 09:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Anyone can join the "investor class." All you have to do is invest. There is no membership fee or intitation ceremony.

Many people buy lottery tickets but do not even consider having a Roth IRA --and it is patently obvious that buying lottery tickets is simply an extremely stupid form of, well, investing. Many people pay four dollars for a cup of coffee at Starbucks every day, yet do not consider strating an investment plan.

Say a person buys a lottery ticket every day for a dollar, and a Starbucks every morning for four dollars. That's five dollars a day, five working days a week, or $100 a month.

Say that same person is 25 years old and takes the $100 and contributes it every month to a Roth IRA paying a very conservative 6% interest. He does this for 40 years until he retires. Even this simple $100 per month will yield enough income at age 65 to provide over $13,000 per year TAX-FREE for the rest of his life.

Here's a fun calculator to try out different saving scenarios....

Compound Interest Calculator

The point I am trying to make is that investing is simply a way to pay yourself instead of paying someone else. The younger you start, the easier it is. It's the kind of habit -- like exercising, eating right, avoiding tobacco -- that too many people simply do not develop early enough.

You don't have to belong to a "class" to invest. You just have to forego a few extravagances and save a little for yourself...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
I really feel sorry for you if you truly believe that.

The president has been manipulating the price of oil for SIX years now. How? What the folks on the right take as "tough, no-nonsense talk" is actually irresponsible idiocy.

As president of the United States, you can't simply get on camera like some hick cowboy talking about an "axis of evil" and start pointing fingers at countries for aiding or abetting terrorists. A REAL president is supposed to consider the impact of his words on things like the financial markets.

I think he is, and he knows exactly what he's doing.

The price of gas was beginning to come down. I was paying $2.30 - $2.40 a gallon for a little while there, about 6 months ago. Well, we can't have that now can we? All of a sudden Achmadinna-whatever his name is, is coming to Columbia University. That's about what started it. Then the president starts making one comment after another about Iran. Little by little the price of gas continues to go BACK UP. Then finally, a few weeks ago, he made some pretty damming comments, which caused the price to spike.

If you really try and understand how the financial markets work, you'd know it's not the traders doing it. It's George Bush himself. The traders are just reacting to his idiotic rantings, or calculated market manipulation. It's one or the other.

lol- so true. The media hysteria....alll the lies and manipulations, of this administration, at this point I would not believe them if they said the sky is blue.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
The only true "growth" is being experienced by big corporations, and definitely NOT the American employees that work for them. The average Joe Six-pack is getting hosed every day, and they fail to realize it.
Hopefully the bubble the investor class has been living in will burst and they have to see the real world through clear glasses. Apparently there are people like Bush who are disconnected with current events.

There's an article about multinationals Stipping U.S. Assets on Daily Kos. If it's true, how many more shenanigans can the American people put up with?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Thanks in part to Greenspans efforts to keep interest rates artificially low, America was flush with equity and a booming housing market that provided construction jobs and skyrocketing housing prices but Greenspan apparently never accurately factored in the long term cost of offshoring and foreign dependence on goods as it is all coming to fruition now.
Interesting point about the low interest rates.

Another 'intelligent' person some years ago stated that he was doing worse than during the Clinton era with its higher rates.

What chaps my hide is despite a FICO score ca. 700 is why so many of my credit cards are 14% APR or greater.

I smell a big, fat scam.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Recessions occur periodically regardless of who is in power because of the complexities of our economy, but mainly because nothing ever remains the same for very long. There will always be up cycles and down cycles.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:27 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Interesting point about the low interest rates.

Another 'intelligent' person some years ago stated that he was doing worse than during the Clinton era with its higher rates.

What chaps my hide is despite a FICO score ca. 700 is why so many of my credit cards are 14% APR or greater.

I smell a big, fat scam.

B of A Platinum is a whopping 25%

Keep charging, everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies