Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

i think the biggest gold mine discovery since the aztec and cortez has been american guilt.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You are crazy

You cannot choose your parents or your genetics. If you are "guilty" about this, you can presume the guilt for the extinction of the dinosaurs, the fall of the Roman Empire, and the Bubonic Plague.

Liberalism is all about feeling "guilty" for situations out of the control of the individual. In this way, they are able to villianize the individual and promote the supremacy of the state and the fallacy of the individual.

WAKE UP
You misunderstood me. That was kind of my point, that if we are guilty we are equally guilty, so there's no point feeling guilty.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I have German ancestors and never once have I felt guilty about Hitler. Nor have I ever felt guilty about slavery. Nobody in my family practiced slavery, but even if they had, I wouldn't feel one lick of guilt about it.
Agreed. My ancestors were German and I don't give a hoot. I don't call myself a German American either. What my Great Grand parents were has nothing to do with me.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. My ancestors were German and I don't give a hoot. I don't call myself a German American either. What my Great Grand parents were has nothing to do with me.
I'm proud of my German heritage and not ashamed of the Nazi era at all. Most Germans had no clue what was going on including most of the soldiers. The soldiers fought for their towns and their families and their country. They weren't evil people.

American and British dropped bombs on civilian targets with the intention of killing innocents. When they bombed Dresden, the Brits dropped the fire starting bombs and then the Americans dropped bombs to kill the firemen so the fires would burn and kill more innocents.

Nobody had clean hands after WWII.

And really who won in the end? Look at Europe today. Dominated by the Germans because of their technology and their efficiency. America is declining. I think by the end of this century the Germans are going to be the world's leader.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I don't feel at all guilty. Not one iota. Especially not over what any of my Scots, Irish, German, or Dutch ancestors did 3 or 4 generations back.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
My great, great, great grandfather was Genghis Khan's grandson!

Seriously, the history of the world is full of horrific acts......every race has taken part.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
NONE of us here would be alive (or exist/have been born) if not for wars, killings, rapes, genocides, conquests, migrations...it's a fact of human existence.

So in a sense we're all guilty (or not guilty, since we didn't have any control over it), and nobody should feel guiltier than others just because of their ancestry. That's my point.

What do you think?
I feel as though I'm coming in at the middle of a conversation. Could you give us some examples of people who are telling you to feel guilty because of something one of your ancestors did? With links, if you don't mind?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
NONE of us here would be alive (or exist/have been born) if not for wars, killings, rapes, genocides, conquests, migrations...it's a fact of human existence.

So in a sense we're all guilty (or not guilty, since we didn't have any control over it), and nobody should feel guiltier than others just because of their ancestry. That's my point.

What do you think?
All the years I was in Catholic school I was taught that I deserved eternal suffering because of something one of my ancestors did, but I don't believe that anymore.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
I don't feel guilty for what my Spanish, German, Moorish, and Arab ancestors did in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I feel as though I'm coming in at the middle of a conversation. Could you give us some examples of people who are telling you to feel guilty because of something one of your ancestors did? With links, if you don't mind?
Well Postman is of Chinese and possibly Malaysian descent, not white.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM

608 posts, read 482,461 times
I have absolutely no guilt at all. Got nothing to feel guilty about. Liberal teaching failed on me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies