Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No one can really drive on ice. Snow, yes. Ice, no. There's no way to really prepare for ice and ice storms aren't exactly routine in ANY part of the country.

In so far as snow, states/cities/counties/regions further north are better prepared as are drivers and posters suggesting there's no difference fail to see they are comparing apples and oranges.
Better prepared, yes. However, that does not make it any easier to drive in. There was a huge traffic mess with, I believe, several deaths, in Indiana last weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
We are talking about something that last 1-2 days....not days on end. Reality here....
Sure. Doctors and nurses can go 48 hours w/o sleeping, not! That is reality.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,679,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sure. Doctors and nurses can go 48 hours w/o sleeping, not! That is reality.
Go read the articles about how they actually did it rather than assume they all stayed awake 48 hours straight.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,628,986 times
Quote:
We had a bad ice storm here in early December. I heard (though have no idea whether it's true) that a hospital did turn some ambulances away. We had several inches of solid ice and there was hardly anything that could be done about it.

I've been in a blizzard and major ice storms are FAR worse.
It depends on the blizzard and the ice storm. We have pretty mild temperatues and big temperature swings during the day, at least compared to a lot of northern areas (I'm from Buffalo for comparison). So ice buildup is a big issue. If the temperatue is somewhat cold (say below 28 or so) even ice isn't that big a deal for a remotely capable driver. But when there is a layer of ice on the roads and the temp warms up or it rains, and you get a layer of water on the ice, it's ugly. Walking is impossible and driving, at least without studded tires, taxes even an expert driver. We get that every once in a while. Even on "flat" roads, you will slide off just due to the normal crown in the road. Throw in mountain roads and ice storms can be a major headache.

Flip side-while it makes driving dangerous, it's an inconvenience. A severe blizzard is a killer. We had some in Buffalo with 10 below temps, 3' of snow (with another 3-4 feet on the ground) and 60-80MPH winds. Cars were burried in 20' snow drifts, entire houses covered. Those conditions are far more than an inconvenience. Now, what NYC, DC or Boston calls a "blizzard" (6 inches of snow on a calm day), I agree with you, an ice storm can be worse.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,274,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The government does not have the money to build anything without taxpayer dollars. The reality is that WE built those freeways, through our tax dollars.

No, the government does not have the right to close down OUR rights of way.
Heh.

They do it all the time here in the northeast, because it's the government (you know, with our tax dollars) that has to dig people out and rescue them when they're stuck on the roads for hours or days. It also costs the government much more to clear the roads when cars are abandoned.

Use some common sense here. Sheesh.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,883 times
Quote:
Better prepared, yes. However, that does not make it any easier to drive in. There was a huge traffic mess with, I believe, several deaths, in Indiana last weekend.
You can learn how to better drive on snow. And, moreover, states/cities/counties can plow snow. Of course that doesn't mean there will be no problems. OTOH, ice is an entirely different story.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It depends on the blizzard and the ice storm. We have pretty mild temperatues and big temperature swings during the day, at least compared to a lot of northern areas (I'm from Buffalo for comparison). So ice buildup is a big issue. If the temperatue is somewhat cold (say below 28 or so) even ice isn't that big a deal for a remotely capable driver. But when there is a layer of ice on the roads and the temp warms up or it rains, and you get a layer of water on the ice, it's ugly. Walking is impossible and driving, at least without studded tires, taxes even an expert driver. We get that every once in a while. Even on "flat" roads, you will slide off just due to the normal crown in the road. Throw in mountain roads and ice storms can be a major headache.

Flip side-while it makes driving dangerous, it's an inconvenience. A severe blizzard is a killer. We had some in Buffalo with 10 below temps, 3' of snow (with another 3-4 feet on the ground) and 60-80MPH winds. Cars were burried in 20' snow drifts, entire houses covered. Those conditions are far more than an inconvenience. Now, what NYC, DC or Boston calls a "blizzard" (6 inches of snow on a calm day), I agree with you, an ice storm can be worse.
Fair enough. I don't agree necessarily that capable drivers can drive on ice, but houses covered in snow, 7 feet of snow, etc. is a big problem. Snow on the roads can still, in theory at least, be plowed.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You can learn how to better drive on snow. And, moreover, states/cities/counties can plow snow. Of course that doesn't mean there will be no problems. OTOH, ice is an entirely different story.
It depends on how much snow. Regarding ice, a couple of points: 1) As I said above, we do get ice up north. Most everywhere has "freeze/thaw" cycles. The snow melts during the day and freezes again at night. Here in metro Denver, where it can be 62 one day and snowing the next, like a day last week, the precip may start as rain and then freeze. OR, it can start as snow and melt when it hits the ground, then freeze as temps drop and the road cools off. 2) Driving on the snow packs it down, melts it a bit, and ice is formed that way. It is incorrect to say that we don't get ice "up north". I saw a story on TV about "black ice" in MN.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It depends on how much snow. Regarding ice, a couple of points: 1) As I said above, we do get ice up north. Most everywhere has "freeze/thaw" cycles. The snow melts during the day and freezes again at night. Here in metro Denver, where it can be 62 one day and snowing the next, like a day last week, the precip may start as rain and then freeze. OR, it can start as snow and melt when it hits the ground, then freeze as temps drop and the road cools off. 2) Driving on the snow packs it down, melts it a bit, and ice is formed that way. It is incorrect to say that we don't get ice "up north". I saw a story on TV about "black ice" in MN.
I never said that you couldn't get ice "up north." I simply said it's not that much more common, unlike snow, in the north (or in mountainous areas).

In so far as the melting and icing over, that creates a thin layer of ice usually. That's not the same as 4 inches solid, like we had in my area in December.

I am familiar with roller coaster temperatures. 75 here today, freezing rain and sleet are possible Sunday. Close to 60 again forecast Tuesday, then more winter weather possible later in the week. What fun.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I never said that you couldn't get ice "up north." I simply said it's not that much more common, unlike snow, in the north (or in mountainous areas).

In so far as the melting and icing over, that creates a thin layer of ice usually. That's not the same as 4 inches solid, like we had in my area in December.

I am familiar with roller coaster temperatures. 75 here today, freezing rain and sleet are possible Sunday. Close to 60 again forecast Tuesday, then more winter weather possible later in the week. What fun.
Calm down. I'm just pointing out that ice is a problem in northern climates, as well. And 1/4 inch is just as slippery as 4". I slipped on the ice on my street one winter day and got a concussion. It was no more than 1/2", probably less. It was ice that had accumulated by the curb. That's another situation "up north".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies