Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,722,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some of these anti-legalization posts are comical. Based more on Cheech and Chong comedy than on facts. Legalization will not suddenly drive consumption of MJ sky high. For one thing - it isn't free. Many who happily consume alcohol despise MJ for just the smell. And many concerned with the health effects of smoke in the lungs will not choose to consume MJ, at least by smoking it.

The gateway drug comments are just ludicrous. I am not a consumer. But I have known many for decades. They have NEVER shown any interest in more dangerous or more addictive drugs.

One of the best things that is happening that the legalization is happening slowly. We will learn a lot from Colorado's experience. I am happy to let it run its course and see what happens.
Agreed. And some of us, used to do it and simply outgrew the urge. At the time I used it, I feel that it was part of a lazy lifestyle, I do feel it had a demotivational effect upon me. When I became pregnant, it was time to set all of that aside (nevermind that quit tobacco and ate healthy etc. while pregnant, too)...but basically...some of us simply have too much to DO to believe we have the luxury of getting high. I'm always available to drive my friends and family when they've had a few. I'm always the sober one. I've got that choice. I don't drink or do any drugs. My choice. Colorado isn't forcing me to go back to smoking pot. And when I quit, I didn't need rehab or anything, I just made a decision and ceased. Over the years I've been around others who were doing it and felt absolutely NO urge to partake. It simply isn't addictive in that way. It can be habit forming like anything else, but it's not addictive like heroin, like alcohol, like tobacco, like caffeine, even!

Another thing, I live in CO and work in an office where we don't get tested. You'd think everybody would be stumbling around like Cheech and Chong in this place. But no...I only know that one coworker smokes on her own time because she told me. I'd never have known otherwise. If anyone else does, I don't know about it, and couldn't guess if I had to. *shrug*

So far, no big deal!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,958,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the highlighted words do not agree with each other. the first is the correct one.
Haha I'm just fighting hyperbole with less hyperbole.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,007,935 times
[quote=itshim;33256823]
Quote:

Wrong. It's a liberal issue. They own it...they just won't admit that. And most Democrats try to mask that as an issue with the "American people"

And the polls clearly show that Obama was elected as well...so I guess by that logic most conservatives for Obama in 2012?

And legalization is neither pushed nor supported by most moderates conservatives or the hard right conservatives...if you disagree, then please tell us why nearly every state that has decriminalized or legalized its use a blue state?

Perhaps you should read this little snippet from the Libertarian Party Platform:

Libertarians support the rights recognized by the Fourth Amendment to be secure in our persons, homes, and property. Protection from unreasonable search and seizure should include records held by third parties, such as email, medical, and library records. Only actions that infringe on the rights of others can properly be termed crimes. We favor the repeal of all laws creating “crimes” without victims, such as the use of drugs for medicinal or recreational purposes.

Again... this is a conservative ideology, and yet here it is right here. You were saying?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha I'm just fighting hyperbole with less hyperbole.
it is really interesting that certain plant chemicals fit so well into human brain receptors. kinda make you think...

Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,304,139 times
Default Yes & NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
although i'm in favor of legalization, to pretend that it won't cause some issues is unreasonable.

You have a point, to pretend nothing bad will happen is not very reasonable, but to say the sky will fall and unemployment will skyrocket, or workers will all come to work high, is silly.

Also, the study you quoted is flawed logically. Of course marijuana would be the second drug found in the blood of participants in a traffic accident. Not only is it a popular drug, but it lingers in the body for days to many weeks depending on the user. Other drugs, more harmful, don't do that.

Just because it is found, doesn't mean that it was the CAUSE of the accident or even contributed to the cause, because the level in that person's blood may just be residual, and not an indication that they were "high" or impaired in any way.

So yes, bad things may happen. People may leave cannabis laced brownies, or candy, or soda, where small children can get them. An inexperianced user could try to drive a car or operate power equipment. There may be very real bad things that do occur, but let's not let the fear mongering prohibitionists shape that conversation, because their "conclusions" about what will happen are illogical and out of proportion to anything real.

They forget that we've had cannabis use in this country for many years, used by many people. If there was really anything scary that would happen, it would have happened by now. Any realy detrimental effects would show up in the stats, but they don't. The rates of mental illness in this country are about the same as they were in the 1950's which show you two things; 1) Our care of mental health patients isn't very successful and 2) cannabis use is not a factor.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
I prefer this drug, as well as most others, be legalized and sold in, guess what, drug stores. I would love to see all the phony tax money sucking businesses living of the government privatizing prisons going broke after pot is legalized and all the people ever incarcerated for dealing the stuff released.

We are now suffering from a policy created by intensive corporate lobbying to make hemp illegal because it threatened one family's investments. Hemp, along with the THC in the flowers, are indeed miraculous materials. That is the problem. Hemp threatens the wood based paper pulp industry and THC provides cheap relief for several ailments that now require expensive patented drugs. These are, among others including the current suppliers and distributers, for the extensive and expensive opposition to legalization. Just follow the money.

I have at one time or another used or taken pot, amphetamines, opiates, alcohol and tobacco. I am not and have never been addicted to any of these. From my point of view all of these should be legal and available to any adult with the money.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,737,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Agreed. And some of us, used to do it and simply outgrew the urge. At the time I used it, I feel that it was part of a lazy lifestyle, I do feel it had a demotivational effect upon me. When I became pregnant, it was time to set all of that aside (nevermind that quit tobacco and ate healthy etc. while pregnant, too)...but basically...some of us simply have too much to DO to believe we have the luxury of getting high. I'm always available to drive my friends and family when they've had a few. I'm always the sober one. I've got that choice. I don't drink or do any drugs. My choice. Colorado isn't forcing me to go back to smoking pot. And when I quit, I didn't need rehab or anything, I just made a decision and ceased. Over the years I've been around others who were doing it and felt absolutely NO urge to partake. It simply isn't addictive in that way. It can be habit forming like anything else, but it's not addictive like heroin, like alcohol, like tobacco, like caffeine, even!

Another thing, I live in CO and work in an office where we don't get tested. You'd think everybody would be stumbling around like Cheech and Chong in this place. But no...I only know that one coworker smokes on her own time because she told me. I'd never have known otherwise. If anyone else does, I don't know about it, and couldn't guess if I had to. *shrug*

So far, no big deal!
Imagine that! Hmmmm used to smoke it, felt as if it was hindering your desired lifestyle (didn't like the way it was affecting you) and quit. Amazing!

I know many people who have had the same experience.

I also know many people who genuinely DO function "better", while "medicated". For some, it's like it drops away the "chaos". They feel "right" when they're "medicated" and are much higher functioning individuals. If something is wrong and a plant makes you operate "right", that's pretty darned important. If you medicate yourself and you feel "wrong", you shouldn't take that medication. See? So simple!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,641,393 times
[quote=itshim;33256823]
Quote:

Wrong. It's a liberal issue. They own it...they just won't admit that. And most Democrats try to mask that as an issue with the "American people"

And the polls clearly show that Obama was elected as well...so I guess by that logic most conservatives voted for Obama in 2012?

And legalization is neither pushed nor supported by most moderates conservatives or the hard right conservatives...if you disagree, then please tell us why nearly every state that has decriminalized or legalized its use a blue state?
I thought liberals were for big government and nanny states. Seems like legalizing marijuana is a step in keeping government out of people's personal lives.

Maybe the reason why every state that has decriminalized or legalized its use is a blue state is because republicans are fixated on controlling every aspect of a person's behavior and will side with big business (eg. pharma companies) over their citizens every time.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,958,798 times
[quote=itshim;33256823]
Quote:

And the polls clearly show that Obama was elected as well...so I guess by that logic most conservatives voted for Obama in 2012?

Are you going to continue to ignore the fact that High School students routinely survey that it is way easier to obtain marijuana and other illegal drugs than it is alcohol?

Why do you think that is? Do drug dealers ask for ID?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug" but despite if this age old common knowledge, in support of the product, we all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone, especially in comparison with alcohol abuse. Also, as a quick disclosure before any starts off in a typical cubicle rant, there is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

For example, assuming marijuana was legal everywhere, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Let's be real folks, many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc.

Marijuana legalization will definitely affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations.

Sure it feels good to get high, it helps you get rid of stress and pain. But can we live with the real damage to our country?
Yea being that most of our rich, ivy league, politicians, past and current presidents, and fortune 500 company C.E.O.'s are all lazy and unproductive men and women who smoked pot, I'd have to agree with you there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies