Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,737,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If how a drug makes us feel were any kind of real indicator, we would not need studies or the FDA.

Yes, cannabis is used by the body to make one high. It alters brain chemistry and impairs judgment. What's your point? There are lots and lots of drugs that alter brain chemistry and impair judgment. Are you claiming that the fact the body uses THC to alter brain chemistry is proof it should be consumed by humans?
Are YOU one of those people who "overmedicated" themselves on it? If you put something in your body, IT changes body chemistry! Give a kid too much sugar? What happens? Get stressed? What happens? Hormones? Acidic foods vs Alkaline foods?

Are you truly so ignorant, when it comes to drugs...that you do not understand the term "dose dependent"? The difference between myself and those who choose to rally against something they truly do not understand....is that I understand. I know the truth. I know what these chemicals do to the human body and mind. You....do not.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,496,641 times
Quote:
Please post the research that shows that marijuana is safer than Ambien. YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS CLAIM WITHOUT PROOF. Do you really not get that?
And just why should I believe YOU telling me Ambien is safer than MJ when YOU have NO PROOF of that?

YOU cannot MAKE THAT CLAIM WITHOUT PROOF.

Quote:
The fact you like to get high before you go to bed proves nothing. Is your brain so addled by drug use that you cannot see use simple logic? That you like it proves nothing other than you like it. It does not prove it's safe....it does not prove it's the best choice...

Just reading how your "logic" works makes me think this stuff is awful for the brain.
The fact you're so defensive about things like Ambien despite having NO PROOF of them being any more effective/safe than MJ leads me to believe it's your brain that's addled by drug use. You use no logic whatsoever in your argument when you expect your statements to be accepted with NO PROOF yet insist others must be proven.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What a narrow viewpoint. You are basically saying, "government and pharm companies know what is best for people".
Not the OP but I agree with the OP.

I wish we knew what was best. We know what we know and what we know is based on sound research. It's the best we have for now. Experimenting on ourselves can have disastrous consequences. I had an uncle who became schizophrenic after experimenting with marijuana. Once the damage was done, there was no going back. You don't get second chances. That's why we subject drugs to rigorous studies before releasing them on the market. Even then, we sometimes get it wrong but sometimes we get it right. Thalidomide was never legal in the united states because it didn't make it past testing. The only US cases of thalidomide defects resulted from women going across the border to get the drug. Our decisions are only as good as the data used to make them. We use the best we have to make the best decision but that doesn't mean that tomorrow won't present better choices.

I would say that research beats perception and speculation by a mile. I haven't seen any true research to show that marijuana treats anything well. What I see is people who like to get high looking for an excuse to get high and that's not making sound research based decisions. Until the research is in, we really can't say what marijuana does or does not do from a medicinal standpoint but we cannot legalize it based on perception and speculation.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,474,691 times
I could care less whether marijuana is legalized or not, but I do believe possession should be decriminalized.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
So?..... you um, apparently never did check out those cannabinoid receptors, I take it?

You know....they say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks.", but that's not necessarily true. You can teach SOME old dogs new tricks....but when it all comes down to it, that old dog had to be a smart dog to begin with. Some dogs?....well, unfortunately, they're just stupid dogs. They were dumb dogs when they were young and well...now they're just dumb OLD dogs.
You are absolutely correct about cannabinoid receptors.

This is an excerpt of what I found:

Quote:
In your brain, there are groups of cannabinoid receptors concentrated in several different places. These cannabinoid receptors have an effect on several mental and physical activities, including:
  • Short-term memory
  • Coordination
  • Learning
  • Problem solving
Cannabinoid receptors are activated by a neurotransmitter called anandamide. Anandamide belongs to a group of chemicals called cannabinoids. THC is also a cannabinoid chemical. THC mimics the actions of anandamide, meaning that THC binds with cannabinoid receptors and activates neurons, which causes adverse effects on the mind and body.
So once again I am right about how dope addles the mind.

HowStuffWorks "Marijuana and the Brain"

Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,307,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug" but despite if this age old common knowledge, in support of the product, we all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone, especially in comparison with alcohol abuse. Also, as a quick disclosure before any starts off in a typical cubicle rant, there is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

But the main fact and focus of this discussion is that if marijuana was legalized everywhere then many users will attribute to the "abuse of the system".

For example, assuming marijuana was legal everywhere, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Let's be real folks, many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc.

Marijuana legalization will definitely affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations.

Sure it feels good to get high, it helps you get rid of stress and pain. But can we live with the real damage to our country?
Employment wouldn't "climb to the highest numbers ever seen". That's almost comical considering that A LOT of employed people smoke or consume marijuana every day already..YOU need to get real. How many in the workforce already have popped their synthetic mind altering drug before they even set out in the morning?..I see that as more of a threat than an employee who relaxes after work with a jay.
You're assuming that anyone who indulges will contribute to the "abuse of the system"...what "system are you talking about?..what makes you think an employee who smokes pot is any less responsible about it than someone who drinks?..not all tokers are hippies...some are lawyers, prime ministers, police officers etc etc.
The consumption of marijuana has never affected 'US productivity" anywhere near the level that other harder drugs have and do..alcohol, synthetic anti depressants, and other legal (often prescribed) drugs.
Maybe it would make better sense to make all of those illegal ...instead of putting so much time and money into keeping a basically harmless ,feel good ,natural substance illegal.
If the gov DID finally come to their senses and DID make it legal...would you still feel the same way?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just why should I believe YOU telling me Ambien is safer than MJ when YOU have NO PROOF of that?

YOU cannot MAKE THAT CLAIM WITHOUT PROOF.

The fact you're so defensive about things like Ambien despite having NO PROOF of them being any more effective/safe than MJ leads me to believe it's your brain that's addled by drug use. You use no logic whatsoever in your argument when you expect your statements to be accepted with NO PROOF yet insist others must be proven.
Did you read my posts? Proof of Ambien's effectiveness (and other drugs on the market) is out there. These drugs had to pass FDA testing. I can show you proof. I'm not the one avoiding proving my case. You are. (FTR, I've never used Ambien...I prefer melatonin when I can't sleep because that's the compound my body naturally uses induce sleep.)

You are the one who is refusing to prove your case. Where is your research? We won't find it at the FDA because marijuana hasn't been through FDA testing. So where is it? Where is your data to support your argument? If marijuana is as good as you say it is, there should be tons of data to support your claims....

Let me predict the future. Your next post will deflect again....

Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Employment wouldn't "climb to the highest numbers ever seen". That's almost comical considering that A LOT of employed people smoke or consume marijuana every day already..YOU need to get real. How many in the workforce already have popped their synthetic mind altering drug before they even set out in the morning?..I see that as more of a threat than an employee who relaxes after work with a jay.
You're assuming that anyone who indulges will contribute to the "abuse of the system"...what "system are you talking about?..what makes you think an employee who smokes pot is any less responsible about it than someone who drinks?..not all tokers are hippies...some are lawyers, prime ministers, police officers etc etc.
The consumption of marijuana has never affected 'US productivity" anywhere near the level that other harder drugs have and do..alcohol, synthetic anti depressants, and other legal (often prescribed) drugs.
Maybe it would make better sense to make all of those illegal ...instead of putting so much time and money into keeping a basically harmless ,feel good ,natural substance illegal.
If the gov DID finally come to their senses and DID make it legal...would you still feel the same way?
Nice justification of a class of drug that can cause psychosis.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/marijuana3.htm

If I had a business, whiz quizzes would be the order of the day. Pop positive for THC gives you your marching papers.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nice justification of a class of drug that can cause psychosis.

HowStuffWorks "Marijuana and the Brain"

If I had a business, whiz quizzes would be the order of the day. Pop positive for THC gives you your marching papers.
I can be tested at any time and my employer doesn't have to give reason. I don't blame them. I wouldn't want people who are high working for me either.

I had an uncle who became schizophrenic as a result of marijuana use. No high is worth that. We've been warned that the predisposition for this to happen runs in families.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,496,641 times
Quote:
Did you read my posts? Proof of Ambien's effectiveness (and other drugs on the market) is out there. These drugs had to pass FDA testing. I can show you proof. I'm not the one avoiding proving my case. You are. (FTR, I've never used Ambien...I prefer melatonin when I can't sleep because that's the compound my body naturally uses induce sleep.)

I have read your posts and NO WHERE have you offered PROOF Ambien is safer/more effective than MJ yet you insist I must offer PROOF MJ is safer/more effective than Ambien if I choose to believe so. I disagree with your O-P-I-N-I-O-N and that's all you've offered despite your calls for PROOF from others.

Quote:
You are the one who is refusing to prove your case. Where is your research? We won't find it at the FDA because marijuana hasn't been through FDA testing. So where is it? Where is your data to support your argument? If marijuana is as good as you say it is, there should be tons of data to support your claims....
YOU are the one with the double standard here believing only others must prove their case while you do not. And WHY hasn't MJ been through FDA testing? WHAT reason(s) other than the hysteria perpetrated by the Reefer Madness crowd? I have empirical evidence convincing me of the safety/effectiveness of MJ, do you have anything contradictory?

Quote:
Let me predict the future. Your next post will deflect again....
YOU are the one deflecting here. I don't give a rat's ass how much you defend Ambien or other Big Pharma crap, you've offered zero, zilch, nada, NO PROOF that MJ is any more dangerous or less effective, just biased opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies