Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do sexual criminals deserve to be killed?
No, I wouldn't go quite that far 42 52.50%
Yes, absolutely 38 47.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times

Advertisements

I was thinking - there was a thread about if anyone was ever molested as a child, and many said they would advocate execution for pedophiles and rapists. Personally I think that's way too harsh, and I am sickened by the existence of the death penalty anyway, but I do realise their crimes cause a lot of pain. I'd say castration is probably the most fitting punishment myself. Ruin someone's sexuality and yes I think you deserve to have your jewels surgically removed.

Not only that but making the penalty the same as the penalty for murder would encourage some molesters to kill their victims. Just as importantly, people are convicted by a jury of their peers and it's usually very difficult to prove molestation or rape to a high standard, and I fear overzealous juries would unfairly condemn many innocent people.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 AM

691 posts, read 640,958 times
I guess if one had didn't have a conscience to know that such behavior is unacceptable then I doubt they would have one after committing such an act, however to be conscious of the punishment and remorseful of the act only in consideration of avoiding punishment shouldn't be confused with a person having a conscience.

However, if they did have a conscience then wouldn't they have had the ability to either noticed the desire to engage in such conduct and have sought help for those desires prior to committing the act?

However, the physical mutilation of an individual convicted of such a crime is just as illogical as cutting off a person's tongue if they commit perjury, or cutting off a person's hand if they steal.

The best way for a person to determine what a fair and just punishment would be is to hold themselves in the position of the accused/convicted. O, you wouldn't commit such offense, so that doesn't negate the fact that anyone of us could be charged and convicted, and if so being innocent, what would be the fair punishment for you if you where convicted the first time?

However, in what State is a rapist or a child molester subject to the death penalty? Don't say Texas.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,412 times
Executed? No, but these people are not capable of being reformed, and should be removed from society. It's what we have prisons for.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Castration would be my first choice, but I doubt the liberals would ever allow such "cruel and unusual punishment" (not to turn this into a political debate, just giving an opinion). There would also have to be a high standard of proof and it would depend on the circumstances. It couldn't simply be a young woman saying she went to a party where young men were present and they all got inebriated and she woke up the next morning naked. (not to deter the thread, but that doesn't count as rape in my book).

Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,107 times
No, I don't trust the government with powers of life and death. Plus there's way too many cases overturned (i.e. false convictions) to make this sound policy.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Castration and life in prison would strike me as a minimum punishment for those convicted of such an offense.. Although if it were one of my kids being the recipient of the rapist/pedophile my emotions on the subject would then probably change to mandatory death penalty and i'll pull the switch..

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It couldn't simply be a young woman saying she went to a party where young men were present and they all got inebriated and she woke up the next morning naked. (not to deter the thread, but that doesn't count as rape in my book).
Unless it was your daughter.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
No, and I wouldn't support execution in most circumstances. Plus, with regards to pedophilia, it depends on what action has taken place - someone who is sexually attracted to minors, but doesn't do anything, or someone who rapes children?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times
There is a fine line for everything. Those involved in the Delhi rape case, yes.

But if some girl decides to check me out in bed and then files rape on me later on (I am too poor to afford a lawyer and defend myself), then do I deserve to die or be castrated .

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,060 times
I said yes. Rapists and pedophiles do deserve to die for committing sex crimes. I'm kind of changing my view on this though because I hate how death is perceived as the worst option. That seems like the easy way out. There are way worse punishments than death, and I believe a combination of a lifetime of hard manual labor, lifetime imprisonment, and castration would be suitable punishment. It seems like rehabilitation doesn't work much of the time, so having a rapist and/or pedophile rejoin society after "getting help" is risky. There have been too many incidents of repeat offenders. Most sex offenders need to be separated from the rest of the population for that reason.

The children who have been abused are likely to be scarred for life, so it's only fair that the rapists and/or pedophiles suffer the same fate. Of course, it is known that a large percentage of those who rape someone or sexually abuse kids were sexual victims themselves. While this is a very sad fact, it doesn't justify the behavior. Obviously I'm talking about hardcore rapists and pedophiles here where there is no doubt what they did was heinous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies