Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM

59,312 posts, read 27,467,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Left-Wingers have a higher IQ.

You gotta be kidding me!!!

Okay, so it comes from an Israeli tv reporter. But, just how many leftists actually believe this garbage? The link to the story is Reporter Says More Journalists Are Liberal Because Left-Wingers Have Higher IQ | TheBlaze.com
Well, based on the liberals on here who "think" they are smarter then anyone else, I am NOT surprised someone would make that claim.

How many time cam you find from liberals on here, repubs, Conservatives, anyone who thinks(fill in the blanks) is stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugg Mann View Post
One of the questions asked in the US Census concerns the highest level of education achieved. Look at how the states with the highest percentage of college graduates living in them voted in the last presidential election. Notice a trend?

District of Columbia 50.50% 1 Obama
Massachusetts 38.70% 2 Obama
Colorado 36.30% 3 Obama
Maryland 36.10% 4 Obama
Connecticut 35.70% 5 Obama
New Jersey 35.00% 6 Obama
Virginia 34.40% 7 Obama
Vermont 33.80% 8 Obama
New Hampshire 33.10% 9 Obama
New York 32.50% 10 Obama
Minnesota 31.80% 11 Obama
Washington 31.40% 12 Obama
Illinois 30.70% 13 Obama
Rhode Island 30.60% 14 Obama
California 30.20% 15 Obama
Kansas 29.70% 16 Romney
Utah 29.60% 17 Romney
Hawaii 29.50% 18 Obama
Oregon 29.00% 19 Obama
Montana 28.20% 20 Romney
Delaware 28.00% 21 Obama
Nebraska 27.80% 22 Romney
Georgia 27.50% 23 Romney
Alaska 27.20% 24 Romney
Maine 27.10% 25 Obama
Pennsylvania 26.70% 26 Obama
North Dakota 26.50% 27 Romney
North Carolina 26.50% 27 Romney
Arizona 26.40% 29 Romney
Texas 26.10% 30 Romney
Wisconsin 26.00% 31 Obama
Florida 26.00% 31 Obama
South Dakota 25.80% 33 Romney
Missouri 25.40% 34 Romney
New Mexico 25.40% 34 Obama
Michigan 25.30% 36 Obama
Iowa 24.90% 37 Obama
Idaho 24.60% 38 Romney
Ohio 24.50% 39 Obama
Wyoming 24.20% 40 Romney
South Carolina 24.20% 40 Romney
Oklahoma 23.00% 42 Romney
Tennessee 23.00% 42 Romney
Indiana 22.70% 44 Romney
Nevada 22.20% 45 Obama
Alabama 22.00% 46 Romney
Louisiana 21.10% 47 Romney
Kentucky 20.60% 48 Romney
Mississippi 19.70% 49 Romney
Arkansas 19.60% 50 Romney
West Virginia 17.60% 51 Romney

Here's my source for the US Census data and college graduation rates:
http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/ ... tPageSize=
When you voted, did anyone ask you your education? I didn't

When you filled out your census, did you tell them which party you affiliated with? I didn't.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 AM

89,253 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
How is that possible when so many of them never even graduated high school?

Look at the votes by education level stats:
Demographics of How Groups Voted in the 2012 Presidential Election

The least educated vote for Dems at a rate of 2 to 1, the largest differential of any education-level group. And that 2 to 1 rate and largest differential has remained historically consistent.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Right wingers with a journalism degree? I know a bunch of them. There goes your guess, better luck next time!
Thank you for proving liberals are NOT smarter then conservatives.

"A bunch" is NO WHERE NEAR a MAJORITY. NO ONE claimed there are NO conservative journalists.

Better luck next time.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It doesn't matter how liberal reporters are. Reporters don't make decisions about content. Owners and editors make those decisions.

The people who think US journalism has "liberal" bias are usually people who are pretty conservative. It is no wonder they see the press as too liberal.

The other thing I would ad is that liberalism is not leftism. Liberals are the center, not the left. The real left is completely excluded from mainstream US media. The US media basically runs from the center to the far right.
Maybe you should check out media search, Media Research Center once in a while and you will find ACTUAL examples.

Keep in mind it is a right leaning org but, they still reveal REAL stories.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM

1,349 posts, read 665,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Big cities breed liberals.
Why do you think that might be ?

My personal interpretation of it is that what Americans call "liberals" (as we certainly don't share the same definition ) are more often exposed to diversity - race, economic, gender, sexuality, etc - which is easier to find in larger numbers if you live in a big city (and you also find that you can very well live quite well and happily with it).

I also don't think that it's a question of IQ between liberals and conservatives, that'd be a bit stupid if one considers IQ as a pure measure of logical intelligence with tests applicable to every age, but as some other posters have said, yes, due to education. Because education is the key. The more you know, the more you can analyse and relate and compare and criticize. The more educated you are, the broader your mind gets actually, and the easier it is to accept and fight for all members of what makes us what we are : a society. (I don't necessarily mean academic education, although it, by organisation, represents a large part, I mean wanting to learn and read and question, and not only what defends what you already think spontaneously, broaden your mind if you want, a lot of intellectual curiosity and much less prejudice)

So if there are more liberals in big cities, I'd attribute it to :

- much more diversity and thus less fear of it, fear of the unknown is sterile and often destructive
- education
- anonymity

I'll build upon my last point (anonymity) and talk about smaller towns or country areas. People, as there are fewer of them, tend to know each other more and want to "conform" more. And that's a pretty good definition of conservatism : what is normal, conform, accepted and makes you accepted. One also generally, not always, has to move to a bigger city to get a job when they have a higher education. And in big cities, people don't generally care what you do or are, as long as you don't bother anyone

This is only my personal view on it and I know our societies are different (but not that much) but we find the same analysis in France. We do have a problem with right wing party here but strangely (except in some of the south's big cities), they do their biggest election scores not in big cities but in rural areas. In such areas, people tend to stick together as a group identification criteria and react to what they see on the news report and TV.

THAT's where (good thus investigative) journalism is important. To depict the truth. But I feel that contrary to your country (at least if one doesn't count fox news), our journalists are mostly, not all, depicting a France that doesn't really exist and "fear-monger". It makes for good audimat, I guess

What is your take on why there are more liberals in big cities, LauraC?

(to everyone : of course there are exceptions, both in rural areas and big cities, it's a general and personal analysis)

Last edited by personne; 02-06-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM

89,253 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Why do you think that might be ?

My personal interpretation of it is that what Americans call "liberals" (as we certainly don't share the same definition ) are more often exposed to diversity - race, economic, gender, sexuality, etc - which is easier to find in larger numbers if you live in a big city (and you also find that you can very well live quite well and happily with it).

I also don't think that it's a question of IQ between liberals and conservatives, that'd be a bit stupid if one considers IQ as a pure measure of logical intelligence with tests applicable to every age, but as some other posters have said, yes, due to education. Because education is the key. The more you know, the more you can analyse and relate and compare and criticize. The more educated you are, the broader your mind gets actually, and the easier it is to accept and fight for all members of what makes us what we are : a society. (I don't necessarily mean academic education, although it, by organisation, represents a large part, I mean wanting to learn and read and question, and not only what defends what you already think spontaneously, broaden your mind if you want, a lot of intellectual curiosity and much less prejudice)

So if there are more liberals in big cities, I'd attribute it to :

- much more diversity and thus less fear of it, fear of the unknown is sterile and often destructive
- education
- anonymity
Hard to make the education argument. The least-educated Americans are overwhelmingly left-wing. They're the group with the greatest divergence in favoring left-wing over right. I posted the stats earlier.

You're likely correct on the diversity point in big cities, though.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

1,349 posts, read 665,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hard to make the education argument. The least-educated Americans are overwhelmingly left-wing. They're the group with the greatest divergence in favoring left-wing over right. I posted the stats earlier.

You're likely correct on the diversity point in big cities, though.
I'm not sure about the stats you're mentionning but remember I was specifically answering about "big cities"

Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,694,793 times
Quote:

Okay, so it comes from an Israeli tv reporter. But, just how many leftists actually believe this garbage? The link to the story is Reporter Says More Journalists Are Liberal Because Left-Wingers Have Higher IQ | TheBlaze.com
It's a never ending flow of sewer water, with study after study proving how much better group A is compared to group B.

It's stupid. Liberals want a huge, overbearing central government to take half of the money they earn, boss them around, and empower a handful of nameless, faceless bureaucrats to tell them how to live their lives, and this supposed to be a sign of people with a higher IQ? Ya, sure, ya bet'cha.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:19 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,799,078 times
Quote:
More Journalists Liberal – Because …

I've pointed out elsewhere that when liberals are pushing an agenda that most normal Americans don't want, the only way they have to get votes, is to lie and try to trick people into believing it's something other than what it is. The Obamacare saga is chock-full of examples.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post33104201

And it's not too uncommon, for the liberals to start believing their own lies.

Looks like you found another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies